SLS Attendance

Started by Raptor22, April 03, 2016, 02:57:46 PM

Raptor22

Since attending an RCLS as a cadet is an SLS credit for senior members, could a cadet attend SLS and get the RCLS credit?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

SLS is meant for senior members only. The dynamics of the course would be different if cadets were allowed to participate.

Eclipse

Quote from: Raptor22 on April 03, 2016, 02:57:46 PM
Since attending an RCLS as a cadet is an SLS credit for senior members

Also, "RCLS SLS".  Earning the Eaker qualifies a former cadet to be considered for accelerated promotion upon
completion and transition to the senior member program.

Attend as an NCO and / or never complete Eaker and there is no senior-member equivalent. See CAPR 50-17 ยง 9.1

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

No...they are two separate, distinctive courses geared for different audiences.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

arajca

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 03, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
SLS is meant for senior members only. The dynamics of the course would be different if cadets were allowed to participate.
Cadets can attend SLS and CLC on a space available basis according to the reg. However, they do not receive credit for attending either as a cadet if they transition to senior-dom.

Cadets cannot attend TLC per regulation.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: arajca on April 03, 2016, 04:52:10 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 03, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
Cadets can attend SLS and CLC on a space available basis according to the reg. However, they do not receive credit for attending either as a cadet if they transition to senior-dom.

According to which reg? I'm only aware that cadets may enroll in the Officer Basic Course under certain conditions.

MSG Mac

CAPM 50-17, Chap 2-7

Cadets who meet the prerequisites may attend senior member training courses. ., BUT will not receive credit for the course.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 03, 2016, 08:08:45 PM
CAPM 50-17, Chap 2-7

Cadets who meet the prerequisites may attend senior member training courses. ., BUT will not receive credit for the course.

CAPR 50-17, Para. 2-7, states that "cadets in good standing who meet the prerequisites may attend a professional development activity..." (emphasis mine) That doesn't apply to every PD course, as cadets must meet the prerequisites for each course they want to attend.

"Prerequisites for [SLS] attendance are completion of Level I and enrollment in one or more specialty tracks." (CAPR 50-17, Para. 4-6) "SLS completion is a prerequisite for completing Corporate Learning Course (CLC)." (CAPR 50-17, Para. 5-3) Since cadets can't complete Level I or be enrolled in a specialty track, they can't attend SLS or CLC either.