SIT AND REACH HELP!!!

Started by RockRat, January 05, 2013, 04:42:43 PM

RockRat

Ok so here I am in the middle of CPFT. I pass every single event easily except...the sit and reach! This past CPFT I found that I failed it by 1 centimeter  >:(. Luckily, I still passed the test but it was a scar on my pride. Anybody have tips on how to improve??
STAFF MEMBER

Майор Хаткевич

Daily stretching. Stand upright. Bend at the belt level. Reach for toes. Do that for 10-15 seconds. Then cross legs, same time. Cross the other way, same time. Then legs together again.

SarDragon

Something that helped me, in addition to what was mentioned above - stand with your feet as far apart as possible, and bend over as far as you can. Try to touch the floor as far in front of and behind you as you can.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Basically.. stretch exercises like so far suggested. I've seen this often enough over the years and the ones that couldn't, after some extra effort on the side have been able to beat it with room to spare.

PT isn't about that one day every ~4 weeks that you have to demonstrate these things. (Not that you're saying that .. just saying..)

coudano

I've seen the recommendation a lot of times to use a towel.
lie on your back, put a foot up, and hook the towel over your foot and use it to pull your leg straight

I stretch my hamstrings while standing on a 30 degree incline (which is also stretching my calves)

Join a martial arts school.

Also, warm up your muscles, don't do static stretches cold.

SarDragon

Quote from: coudano on January 07, 2013, 02:15:27 AM
I've seen the recommendation a lot of times to use a towel.
lie on your back, put a foot up, and hook the towel over your foot and use it to pull your leg straight

I stretch my hamstrings while standing on a 30 degree incline (which is also stretching my calves)

Join a martial arts school.

Also, warm up your muscles, don't do static stretches cold.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that. Since I always had trouble with the S&R, I made sure to do it last if at all possible. It helped.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret