Squadron Organization

Started by Sgt. Papa, August 01, 2012, 12:42:43 AM

Sgt. Papa

Hello All,

in the coming months i'll be becoming my Squadron's First Sergeant. As i rise up in the CoC, i hope to help organize my squadron more. Right now, we have about 35 cadets in the program, and only about 12 show up per meeting. Technically, there's an Alpha, and a Bravo, each with a Flt/Sgt. There is no Flt/ Comm in our squadron, but there's a C/XO, C/CC, and our C/1SGT. What i want to do, is build up a support staff, mainly comprising of a Ops Officer, Logistics Officer, and Comms Officer(all Cadets, because our Seniors don't do [mess].) Our squadron is small, and i love using radios, so i want to implement the use of radios to our squadron at every meeting. I basically need organization help. Any tips?

SarDragon

I think you need to concentrate on cadet program basics before you start introducing what will essentially be toys into the environment.

Without proper training, and a defined use for the radios, they will just be kool things to have around at each meeting.

By the way, what will your source be for these radios? Corporate-owned radios are assigned according to a Table of Authorization, and you need justification to get them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sgt. Papa

well for instance, monday was our meeting, and we were doing PT, our C/CC didn't give me any other orders to carry out for the flight, so i was stuck there making them play duck,duck,goose because all their testing was done, and they were all gassed. instead of me having to go back to our building where she was, which is a distance, i could've just radioed her.

jeders

Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 02, 2012, 01:25:54 PM
well for instance, monday was our meeting, and we were doing PT, our C/CC didn't give me any other orders to carry out for the flight, so i was stuck there making them play duck,duck,goose because all their testing was done, and they were all gassed. instead of me having to go back to our building where she was, which is a distance, i could've just radioed her.

Seriously, you were playing duck, duck, goose? You didn't have a canned 5 minute lesson? You couldn't have practiced some drill that your flight has trouble executing properly, or taught them new drill? You couldn't have them do some additional physical training? You were seriously playing duck, duck, goose?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Time to load up on those "pocket lessons".

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 01, 2012, 12:42:43 AM
Hello All,

in the coming months i'll be becoming my Squadron's First Sergeant. As i rise up in the CoC, i hope to help organize my squadron more. Right now, we have about 35 cadets in the program, and only about 12 show up per meeting. Technically, there's an Alpha, and a Bravo, each with a Flt/Sgt. There is no Flt/ Comm in our squadron, but there's a C/XO, C/CC, and our C/1SGT. What i want to do, is build up a support staff, mainly comprising of a Ops Officer, Logistics Officer, and Comms Officer(all Cadets, because our Seniors don't do [mess].) Our squadron is small, and i love using radios, so i want to implement the use of radios to our squadron at every meeting. I basically need organization help. Any tips?

Remember, cadets cannot actually hold any of these positions. They can act as assistants to the senior member holding the position.

Sgt. Papa

EMT-83, yes, i do know this. To Jeders, and to Eclipse, can you please leave me alone, and not trump every post i write on this website?(mainly you, Eclipse) im asking a simple [Filter Subversion] question, asking for advice, and i get this. Can you please, leave me alone? THANKS.

Sgt. Papa

and jeders, why don't you try teaching a group of fat, lazy cadets some drill while they're tired from PT, see where that gets you.

Eclipse

Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 03, 2012, 04:11:44 AM
EMT-83, yes, i do know this. To Jeders, and to Eclipse, can you please leave me alone, and not trump every post i write on this website?(mainly you, Eclipse) im asking a simple [Filter Subversion] question, asking for advice, and i get this. Can you please, leave me alone? THANKS.

Cadet Palmer,

Do not confuse other websites or services you may use with CAPtalk.  Speaking to senior members like that will have consequences.
My response was serious - do you even know what "pocket lessons" are?

"That Others May Zoom"

JaL5597

So as a cadet nco you have no way to make decisions on your own?  There is no way you could of taken initiative and found something for them to do while waiting further instruction?  Heck even making sure your cadets were hydrated is better than wasting time waiting for someone else to make a decision on what to do.  Part of being a leader is taking care of your troops.   

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2012, 04:16:09 AM
EMT-83, yes, i do know this. To Jeders, and to Eclipse, can you please leave me alone, and not trump every post i write on this website?(mainly you, Eclipse) im asking a simple F*cking question, asking for advice, and i get this. Can you please, leave me alone? THANKS.

Cadet Palmer,

Do not confuse other websites or services you may use with CAPtalk.  Speaking to senior members like that will have consequences.
My response was serious - do you even know what "pocket lessons" are?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AngelWings

Sgt. Palmer, don't waste your time arguing. Right or wrong, you do not win with people who have experience arguing. The men here could win an arguement with any politician easy, it's a CAPTalk thing. Your attitude is not going to help you out. Talk just as if you were talking to any officer. You're reflecting on your unit poorly. Real poor.

PM me if you want some adivce on what you're doing, I may be able to help you (seeing how I got something similar done)

jeders

EMT-83, yes, i do know this. To Jeders, and to Eclipse, can you please leave me alone, and not trump every post i write on this website?(mainly you, Eclipse) im asking a simple F*cking question, asking for advice, and i get this. Can you please, leave me alone? THANKS.
Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 03, 2012, 04:13:27 AM
and jeders, why don't you try teaching a group of fat, lazy cadets some drill while they're tired from PT, see where that gets you.

Wow...just wow. Talk about a total lack of respect. BITD (it was a Tuesday by the way) when I was cadet commander, had I seen one of my flight sergeants disrespecting ANYONE that way, I would have politely taken them aside and ripped 'em about 5 new ones. Were I your squadron commander, I'd be ripping your cadet commander a new one and then send him on to you. You do not learn by telling those trying to help you to mind their own business. Also, this site does have a profanity filter, and trying to subvert it is grounds for suspension. I'd really hate to see that happen to someone who is just trying to get a little advice.

Quote from: AngelWings on August 03, 2012, 06:12:23 AM
Sgt. Palmer, don't waste your time arguing. Right or wrong, you do not win with people who have experience arguing.

Yeah, not to mention that some of us have been around the CAP block longer then some of today's cadets have been alive, and we are able to recognize certain patterns.

But back to the subject. If you've got a bunch of fat and lazy cadets, then expanding your Org Chart into these support functions is the last thing you need to do. First you need to get your cadets motivated and working at some basic level. And while radios might be able to help with this somewhat, if you, as a "leader", aren't able to think on your feet, then they're just shiny toys.

Another question comes to mind. You were doing PT, and I am assuming the CPFT as well. If that's the case, why wasn't your commander also testing? Where were the senior members who are supposed to administer the CPFT?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Sgt. Papa

alright, im sorry for the disrespect. i really am. i apologize with all sincerity. it's just, i really cannot post a simple question sometimes without criticism. No, we were not LITERALLY playing duck,duck,goose. i had them hydrate, then i let the element leaders do drill (or attempt to do drill) , while i left to ask the C/CC for our next instruction. my squadron is a bit funky, and like i said, our seniors don't do anything. So no, they do not administer PT, the staff administers PT, and therefore, misses out on promotions.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 03, 2012, 01:30:38 PM
it's just, i really cannot post a simple question sometimes without criticism.

Get used to it. That is what life is all about.

lordmonar

Quote from: Sgt. Papa on August 01, 2012, 12:42:43 AM
Hello All,

For only 12 active cadets....I don't see the need for two flights...as for the cadet staff positions.....if they are of the right rank and they will be gainfully employed.....then go for it.

Using radios to support your squadron meeting is not really a bad idea.

On your other posts.....I'll just let them go....with one exception......the balance between senior invovlment vs. cadet involvment of the cadet program is more an art then a science.

On the good side of it.....you planning, leading and executing the CP at your squadron is exactly the leadership lab that the writers of the CP were hopeing for......however if you don't have the necessary skills for the job...then senior involvment is necessary.

Tossing out "the seniors don't do anything" is probably not really a true statement.  You may not see what they are doing....but if you have any CP at all someone has to be doing something.

Anyways......the question of the organisation for your unit probably needs to addressed to your C/CC and or Unit Commander.  It is their unit after all and they have the best situaitonal awarness to make suggestions of how to best organise your squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on August 03, 2012, 04:23:18 PM
Tossing out "the seniors don't do anything" is probably not really a true statement.  You may not see what they are doing....but if you have any CP at all someone has to be doing something.

Not necessarily true. I started as a cadet in a squadron where the cadets ran the program. The quality sucked, but the SMs didn't really care as the strong leaders left, and the experienced cadets went off to college. On the other hand, a few of us took the initiative, and started reading the regs ourselves.

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 03, 2012, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 03, 2012, 04:23:18 PM

Not necessarily true. I started as a cadet in a squadron where the cadets ran the program. The quality sucked, but the SMs didn't really care as the strong leaders left, and the experienced cadets went off to college. On the other hand, a few of us took the initiative, and started reading the regs ourselves.
Oh I agree....that sometimes the SM's don't know what they are doing....and the quality suffers....but even in situations like yours, I am sure that the SMs were doing something....even if it was not enough, or not right.

My point is.....too often I see or hear cadets lament "those doenut eating seniors don't do anything" while in fact we are doing paperwork, doing long term planning, jobbing taskings for wing, and observing the cadets "run" their own program.

So...when I see it....I call the BS flag just to get them to stop and take a look at what their senior are in fact doing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

They were at the meetings. WE didn't see much of them.

Ask my current squadron as to the status of my file when I transferred over. My Wright Brothers award was processed at the same time as my Mitchell...

C/2d Lt

I would consider building up cadets in positions like flight commander before worrying about other positions. These are more important because they are in a cadets direct chain of command and will help with organisation. However if telling cadets that there are open staff positions and get more of them on staff they will hopefully feel more inclined to attend meetings. Just my view on the situation.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander