Squadron of Distinction

Started by lordmonar, June 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

lordmonar

Does anyone know who the 2011 SoD's were?

I ask....because my unit is listed on the NHQ website.......and no one told us!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Squadron of Distinction

Frisco Cadet Squadron
Texas Wing
Southwest Region

Other nominees for Squadron of Distinction:

Silver City Cadet Squadron
Connecticut Wing
Northeast Region

Table Rock Lake Composite Squadron
Missouri Wing
North Central Region

Burlington Composite Squadron
North Carolina Wing
Middle East Region

Lake in the Hills Composite Squadron
Illinois Wing
Great Lakes Region

Phoenix Cadet Squadron
Utah Wing
Rocky Mountain Region

Chattanooga Composite Squadron
Tennessee Wing
Southeast Region

Nellis Composite Squadron
Nevada Wing
Pacific Region

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/national_awards_recognize_highachieving_members_squadrons?show=news&newsID=11623

I do believe they all are it...not sure why one is singled out...

Eclipse

That's the 2011 list for 2010 SOD.

I think you want the 2012 list for 2011, right?

For GLR it was Fort Benjamin Harrison Composite Squadron (IN228), which was announced on 29 Apr.

I have yet to see a national list.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2012, 10:31:32 PM

I don't think SOD works like Quality Unit

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2012, 10:33:36 PM
I don't think SOD works like Quality Unit

You mean based on the performance of the previous year?  Yes.  Merit and distinction run on a calendar year, and are announced sometime in the earlier part of the next year (i.e. 2011 is announced in 2012).  Most Regions wait until after the wings select "Merit", but not all of them (which I have an issue with).

Quote 39-3:
a. Each January, National Headquarters will make a statistical report available through the Member Reports restricted application in e-Services to assist the commander in making a selection...

The main difference(s) between "Quality" and "Merit / Distinction" is that "Quality" is 100% objective based on a set criteria, and there are no limits to the number who can receive the award. 

"Merit / Distinction" are subjective decisions which have objective numbers to start with, but those numbers may be ignored by the awarding echelon.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

I believe they are listed on the NAtional CAdet Programs page.
sorry that was the Quality Unit Awards. Nellis wasn't there
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 07, 2012, 12:11:49 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM

I believe they are listed on the NAtional CAdet Programs page.

Hasn't been updated yet.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/special_awards.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"

SKI304

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2012, 10:31:32 PM

For GLR it was Fort Benjamin Harrison Composite Squadron (IN228), which was announced on 29 Apr.

I have yet to see a national list.

Where was this announced?  I'd been waiting to hear the results since OHWG hasn't announced Squadron of Merit yet.
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: SKI304 on June 07, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
Where was this announced?  I'd been waiting to hear the results since OHWG hasn't announced Squadron of Merit yet.

In a message on the INWG mailing list.  I haven't seen anything come out of Region yet.

That's pretty much my issue with the process - the choice is subjective, and irregardless of the Merit selections.  In my opinion it should be a roll-up
award that the region's Merit winners compete for.  The way it is today, it is not uncommon for the Region's selection of best cadet unit to not have been considered the best unit in their respective Wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

SKI304

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2012, 12:34:39 AM
Quote from: SKI304 on June 07, 2012, 12:27:12 AM

That's pretty much my issue with the process - the choice is subjective, and irregardless of the Merit selections.  In my opinion it should be a roll-up
award that the region's Merit winners compete for.  The way it is today, it is not uncommon for the Region's selection of best cadet unit to not have been considered the best unit in their respective Wing.

I've been watching the selections as of late and it has been a little perplexing.  In 2010 my unit won Squadron of Merit, but another unit in our group was named the Region's Squadron of Distinction.  It does seem like commanders are moving away from the set criteria.  For the 2011 selections, all of the data for every unit was released in the Quality Cadet Unit report.  I crunched the numbers based on CAPM 39-3 and the results were much different from the units that were ultimately selected.  On the same note, you see write ups on winning units that focus on their Emergency Services accomplishments when the award is instead supposed to be a reflection of Cadet Programs performance.  While I'm all for balancing the prop, that's like awarding Ground Team of the Year based on Color Guard performance.  I guess it just "Is what it Is."
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

lordmonar

Okay.....when ever we earned it......NO ONE HAS TOLD US WE WON THE BLOODY THING!

Майор Хаткевич

crisptheyounger

Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2012, 03:41:42 AM
Okay.....when ever we earned it......NO ONE HAS TOLD US WE WON THE BLOODY THING!

If this is the 2011 award, you should have received he streamer and cert by now.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

crisptheyounger

Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

Extremepredjudice

Well this escalated quickly.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MSG Mac