Squadron Flight Sergeant

Started by Danger, May 12, 2012, 05:11:38 PM

Danger

So our squadron commander is leaving us soon for the army, and there's going to be staff selection. I REALLY wan to be a flight sergeant. One problem though.. I'm A1C. Any tips? Our squadron is all airmen and NCOS except 1 officer. It's mostly higher ups getting their Mitchell soon, and low grade airmen. Any tips for giving myself the best chance? I know drill very well, I've been to EPS, and I'm going to encampment this summer. So I know drill, I do good with pt, I know and perform customs and courtesies. Any advice? Thanks.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Extremepredjudice

An A1C is a bit low of a rank to become a flight sergeant. You still have time to get a position.

Promote quickly, and maybe you can be C/SSgt. by the time they leave.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Danger

The Bravo flight sergeant is an A1C. Overall my squadron is made up of a lot of low ranking individuals. We have 1 officer. Lol.

And I most definitely will promote quickly, I have been, thanks!

Extremepredjudice

I would take a look at this, also.

An A1C isn't high enough rank to be in charge of a flight. Regardless of your squadron's amount of officers/NCOs. The senior staff should take over positions if no one can fill them.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

caphornbuckle

Regardless of your grade, it never hurts to try.

I would suggest that if you really want it, you will need to learn everything there is about D&C and C&C because that is where you will be needed the most as a Flight Sergeant.  If you think you are good at them, try to be better!

Set the example with your attitude and appearance as well.  Look perfect everytime you go to a meeting.  Expect the best out of yourself and then you will be able to be a successful Flight Sergeant and more!

If you don't get the position, see if you can be an Element Leader.  Then try again when the position opens up.  You will already have the experience and attitude you need to be a successful leader.

The only thing that can hold you back is someone telling you that you can't!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Patterson

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 12, 2012, 05:51:27 PM
The senior staff should take over positions if no one can fill them.

No.  NO.  No.

titanII

Quote from: Patterson on May 13, 2012, 12:41:05 PM
No.  NO.  No.
Care to elaborate?
No longer active on CAP talk

Danger

I'm guessing he means that seniors shouldnt be flight sergeants?

Struts

:o Um...What? I doubt that would go over well.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Cashboy on May 13, 2012, 05:12:45 PM

It is what the cadet staff handbook says.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

68w20

Perhaps not, but it is encouraged by the Cadet Staff Handbook.

"...if the unit is bottom-heavy – perhaps it is brand new or
rebuilding – the senior staff will need to take a more hands-on
approach
. In the absence of mature cadet officers, the senior staff
must fulfill the goal-setting, planning, and decision-making functions
until junior cadets acquire some rank, maturity, and leadership skills.
The senior staff may even need to instruct cadets in fundamental subjects
like drill and the wear of the uniform, performing duties normally
assigned to cadet NCOs
. Hopefully, cadets will progress quickly and
earn entry-level leadership positions. When that happens, the senior
staff should gradually delegate more authority to the cadets and
enlarge the cadet staff's sense of autonomy
. In other words, every time
the cadet staff takes one step forward in the Cadet Program, the senior
staff should take one step back." (CAPP52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook, Dated Feb, 2012, Section 1.4, page 3)

Edit: Emphasis mine

Struts

Quote from: 68w10 on May 13, 2012, 06:11:58 PM

Perhaps not, but it is encouraged by the Cadet Staff Handbook.

"...if the unit is bottom-heavy – perhaps it is brand new or
rebuilding – the senior staff will need to take a more hands-on
approach
. In the absence of mature cadet officers, the senior staff
must fulfill the goal-setting, planning, and decision-making functions
until junior cadets acquire some rank, maturity, and leadership skills.
The senior staff may even need to instruct cadets in fundamental subjects
like drill and the wear of the uniform, performing duties normally
assigned to cadet NCOs
. Hopefully, cadets will progress quickly and
earn entry-level leadership positions. When that happens, the senior
staff should gradually delegate more authority to the cadets and
enlarge the cadet staff's sense of autonomy
. In other words, every time
the cadet staff takes one step forward in the Cadet Program, the senior
staff should take one step back." (CAPP52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook, Dated Feb, 2012, Section 1.4, page 3)

Edit: Emphasis mine

It is encouraged but good luck finding a few senior members to do that. And the OP said that they did have NCOs. The NCOs should be able to handle the flights, but maybe senior member guidance for command staff levels.

Spaceman3750

We seniors are here for more reasons than our good looks and charisma 8).

68w20

Quote from: Danger on May 12, 2012, 05:11:38 PM
Our squadron is all airmen and NCOS except 1 officer. It's mostly higher ups getting their Mitchell soon, and low grade airmen.

It would seem that most of those NCOs won't be NCOs much longer.  That being said, I'll acknowledge that this isn't necessarily a case for SMs standing in for non-existent C/NCOs.  Given the circumstances, I'd recommend having those soon-to-be C/Officers step in as C/NCOs until the current crop of C/Airmen can promote to C/NCO grades. 

As for the OP, I would recommend continuing your education and training rapidly to prepare yourself to be of service to your Squadron as a Flight Sgt once you reach NCO grade. 

Struts

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 13, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
I forgot! You guys have to supervise us also!  8) Just messing. But how many SMs would function well in those positions?

68w20

Quote from: Cashboy on May 13, 2012, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 13, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
I forgot! You guys have to supervise us also!  8) Just messing. But how many SMs would function well in those positions?

What makes you think that SMs wouldn't "function well"?  What are your specific concerns over the idea?  My questions are sincere, I'd like to better understand where you're coming from with this line of argument.

abdsp51

I believe what the handbook is saying is that absent senior ranking and mature cadets that SMs should take a more active role in instructing things such as D&C, uniforms, C&C etc, not fill the role of a flt sgt or flight commander. 

68w20

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 13, 2012, 07:50:54 PM
I believe what the handbook is saying is that absent senior ranking and mature cadets that SMs should take a more active role in instructing things such as D&C, uniforms, C&C etc, not fill the role of a flt sgt or flight commander.

I disagree.  Based on the excerpt that I posted, the handbook makes it fairly clear that SMs should step in and fulfill both C/NCO and C/Officer roles if there are no Cadets of sufficient rank/maturity/etc to fulfill those roles.

That being said, I personally feel that SMs should be VERY hesitant to fill these roles.  SMs should only be stepping in if there are NO alternative options.

caphornbuckle

Years ago, I was part of a composite squadron that was very low on cadet membership (as in 1 and that was after a recruiting effort!).  We ended up changing locations and started a more rigorous recruiting drive ending up with almost 30 cadets.

At the time, the Deputy Commander of Cadets and Squadron Leadership Officer (me) spent time working directly with the cadets on a regular basis until they got the hang of what was expected of them.  We even gave each cadet a chance to lead the other cadets.  A few weeks later, we turned an Airman First Class loose to lead the cadets.

Because we told them what was expected of them, gave them the hands-on training they needed to meet those expectations, and gave one of them the resposibility to lead the others in meeting those expectations, we ended up with a larger and more successful squadron that it was in the past.

BTW, that cadet A1C received his Spaatz Award later down the road and I believe is still currently an officer in the United States Air Force.

Grade on the collar doesn't make a difference on the leadership abilities one may posess.  I feel SM's may help support the cadets, but I don't think they should fill the positions directly.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

abdsp51

We'll have to agree to disagree the senior cadets should have been training the junior ones to replace them.  If you read the excerpt in entirety that you posted it does not say fulfill duties as a flt sgt etc.  It is focused on instruction the cadets in topics and having a more hands on approach in the decision making process. A cadet airman with the proper guidance and mentorship can lead just as efficiently as a cadet NCO.  I think you are misinterpreting the intent of the passage you have quoted.