Cadet commander resources

Started by Perez, August 17, 2011, 04:21:44 AM

Perez

I was just made "intern Cadet Commander" for my squadron. While I feel confident with my ability to plan, organize, and lead cadets I don't agree with the decision to appoint me the position while I'm still a C/MSgt. However, I'm looking to do everything that I can with what I have. So, I would like to ask all you cap talk folks if you have any sound advice or resources that would be available for me.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Eclipse

Assuming you mean "interim".

My advice would be to discuss this with your senior leaders, explain that a Cadet Commander is not required, and that as a C/MSgt, you do not have the
appropriate grade or training to serve in a position that should really be a Phase 3 or 4 cadet.

You and your unit will be better served if you are allowed to continue in roles that are grade appropriate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Perez

Unfortunately that's an issue that myself and the previous cadet commander both have tried to address. We've explained that it is not a required position and isn't appropriate for our grade or experience in CAP. We even went as far as to recommend that if they need to find a position for us, that first sergeant would match our time in the program and skill level perfectly. Seeing as one of the recommended chain of command layouts in CAPP 52-15 is for a "large, bottom-heavy squadron with no officers", and it happens to include two flights and one first sergeant. When both of us have brought this up we were told by our DCC that he just doesn't want a first sergeant because we can't have one until there is a cadet officer.

jeders

While I'm all for educating the ignorant, in this case it would probably be better to just go ahead and be the cadet commander. Do the best job you can and work hard to get that Mitchell. As far as resources, your first and most important resource should be CAPR 52-16, but I'm sure you already know that. As far as "extra" resources, I recommend CadetStuff.org (not just the forums, there's an actual website there too.) Also the TXWG Cadet Programs website has a lot of good resources under their CTEP tab.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Your DCC CDC's fundamental lack of understanding of the program doesn't change the equation for you.  Assuming command of the unit before you even make Mitchell puts you in a position with expectations that are unfair to your training, but worse, risks your long term participation.

There are three likely scenarios here:

1) You feel your way around with support from your senior leaders, and do well in the position once you find your groove.

2) You struggle in the job, get frustrated with lack of progress, and maybe get into some "discussions" with people and leave CAP
with a bad feeling.

2a) You struggle with the job, are replaced with someone else, find it is not easy to go back in ranks after running the show, and leave CAP
with bad feeling.

3) You do a good job as a CC, and then your term is up, and find yourself as C/1st Lt. with nothing left to do at the unit, so you become the
"back row hover cadet", and leave CAP out of boredom.

There is also the possibility, though remote, that during your term a cadet officer transfer in and asks for an appropriate job, which would be reasonable for all, but not necessarily popular with you.

I have seen plenty of #2 & #3, and very little of #1.  You seniors should take their responsibility seriously and run the program directly for awhile
and let a couple of you grow into indirect leadership roles.

In any case, if you take the job, they should pull the term "interim", which literally means "for now".  That tends to undermine your authority.
You're either "it", or you "ain't".

You might suggest that your seniors sign up here and Cadet Stuff to discuss. There's been some good threads on this over there, especially.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

If they are persistent on it, just do it.  There's a TON of material on the national Cadet Programs section:  http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/

Check out all the pages.

Read the cadet staff handbook as well.  http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf

The NUMBER ONE THING you need to focus on is developing your members to build a staff and a diverse structure of cadet officers, senior NCOs, junior NCOs, and airmen.

Look at the scheduling material, training guides, Great Start, etc.

Focus on planning GREAT and creative weekend activities - AE, leadership, and ES.

Open up a word processor and start typing up your units Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats.  Then start writing goals from there.  Make a 2 by 2 matrix...

High-Priority tasks                                         -
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
                                                                   -
Low-Priority tasks                                          -
                              Difficult Tasks                         Easy Tasks

fill them in, in those blocks and get a game plan together

You can also do a card sort.  Get index cards and write your tasks on them.  Find a big space and start ranking them.  Take this material to your Deputy Commander for Cadets and Squadron Commander.

I will be publishing a whole selection of cadet programs resources but I have to get a bunch of my ES resources together and implemented for a squadron FIRST.

Briski

Quote from: jeders on August 17, 2011, 01:46:26 PM
While I'm all for educating the ignorant, in this case it would probably be better to just go ahead and be the cadet commander. Do the best job you can and work hard to get that Mitchell. As far as resources, your first and most important resource should be CAPR 52-16, but I'm sure you already know that. As far as "extra" resources, I recommend CadetStuff.org (not just the forums, there's an actual website there too.) Also the TXWG Cadet Programs website has a lot of good resources under their CTEP tab.

I'm rather inclined to agree with this advice.

I know you didn't ask for any WIWAC stories, but this one might actually apply to the situation. ;)

When I first joined CAP, the C/CC of my squadron was a C/TSgt who had stagnated quite a bit. I got a late start, so I was bookin' it through the progression chart and ended up getting my Mitchell when she was still a C/CMSgt. I had been Cadet First Sergeant of the squadron since I was a C/SSgt, and it seemed natural to me that I would no longer be serving in that position when I pinned on my little pip. But we'd never really discussed what I'd do when I entered Phase III. At that point, I didn't want to be C/CC yet; I just knew that a Phase II cadet should have the opportunity to be First Sergeant.

The week after I was promoted, I was surprised that my C/CC still expected me to do First Sergeant things. I was like, "Oh, but I'm a cadet officer now. I shouldn't be the First Sergeant anymore." I have no recollection of how I actually worded it, but regardless, my statement was interpreted to be that of some brand new cadet officer who had already let the pip go to her head, as though I were somehow "too good" to serve in an NCO position.

It did not go over well. I ended up reporting to a C/A1C flight commander until I became C/CC as a C/1st Lt). In retrospect, I don't think our SMs even knew what was going on.

The point here is this: no matter how respectful you are, at the end of the day, you would still be telling your squadron leadership that they don't know what they're doing and you know better than they do how to run the squadron. More often than not, these conversations do not end well for the subordinate leader who initiates them.

So far, you're off to a great start by seeking advice and taking inventory of resources. It says a lot about your attitude that you don't think you're quite ready for the job. Honestly, if you didn't feel at a least a little nervous and inadequate for the position, it might be an indicator that you definitely were not ready to take on the responsibility.

Keep asking questions. Get connected with other C/CCs in your wing (and group, if you wing has them). If you've been to any NCSAs, reconnect with your friends from other wings and regions. Get as much input and as many ideas as you can, so you'll have more options at your disposal and so you can make an informed decision about everything you do.

Search the forums here, and at www.CadetStuff.org to see what others have said about the duties of the C/CC.

Good luck,
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Extremepredjudice

To add something to what everyone else said: appoint element leaders, and assistant element leader to help you... If you can't figure out who should be an element leader, ask around and see who is in ROTCs as a sergeant, or higher...

Good luck dude!!!
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 20, 2011, 10:54:35 PM
To add something to what everyone else said: appoint element leaders, and assistant element leader to help you... If you can't figure out who should be an element leader, ask around and see who is in ROTCs as a sergeant, or higher...
Good luck dude!!!

JROTC is as random in output as CAP a lot of the time. See who is helping other cadets, trying to figure things out on their own, always tries to answer/volunteer even if they are unsure. If they aren't the right person, you can always replace them.

P.S. The Bold tag isn't working right...I can't remove the Bold font from MY post...

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 11:53:54 PM
P.S. The Bold tag isn't working right...I can't remove the Bold font from MY post...

Click the button with the red A , under the change color drop-down. This takes you from WYSIWYG, to showing the BB code. Then edit the code as needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 21, 2011, 04:44:57 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 11:53:54 PM

Click the button with the red A , under the change color drop-down. This takes you from WYSIWYG, to showing the BB code. Then edit the code as needed.

Thank You Sir!

That makes things a lot easier.

ol'fido

The title you hold whether it is Cadet Commander or First Sergeant or Grand Admiral of the Swiss Navy is irrelevant. If you are the senior cadet and you have been put in charge, the job is LEADERSHIP regardless of what title is on the door.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Perez

I'm looking to do the best I can regardless of what position title I have. I've already started making changes to what I can to give the cadets a better CAP experience and to keep them coming. My main beef with our squadron is that the past three cadets in charge actually quit due to some issues with couple of head members, along with about six to seven of our newer cadets who were regular attendees. The previous cadet Commander was a C/MSgt and I hated to see him spending so much time and effort trying to get things right only to be disrespected and treated like an ignorant child. They poor guy really took the stress hard and I'm happy for him where he's moved to now.