Squadron Leadership Officer

Started by Hill CAP, March 21, 2011, 04:46:43 PM

Hill CAP

Can anyone give me a detailed description of the roles of the Squadron Leadership Officer. I was assigned as the Assistant Squadron Leadership Officer however will be the only member out of 3 people assigned to the position including the primary to actually attend cadet meetings.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Camas

Check out CAPR 20-1 Page 35. You'll be dealing with uniforms, customs and courtesies, drill; things like that.

coudano

In my opinion, the Leadership officer's primary role is to mentor cadets.
In my version of the world, the leadership officer is specifically supposed to mentor cadets in phase 2.

So yeah, you're helping with uniforms, drill, customs and courtesies, and so on.
But if you (as a senior member) are directly doing that hands on with cadet airman basic snuffy, then you are pretty much doing it wrong.
Instead you should be helping some sergeant realize the issues and do the direct hands on with the basic cadet.
Your end goal is the same, but your approach is entirely different.

Leadership officer, in this context, is absolutely a full time and fulfilling job in the squadron!
And your meetings will be full and interesting.
Really, it's possibly the best job in the whole cadet program staff :)
It's basically what a TAC Officer at encampment should be.

I also have a 'leadership officer' on  my CP staff, who happens to be a semi-pro athlete (meat head); and all he does in CAP is be the senior member supervision for physical fitness training night, supervises the testing, grading, and entering of who passed into cadet promotions in e-services.  Of course the cadets actually conduct the PT test...  but you have to have adult supervision there naturally.  Outstanding resource!!!  Highly recommended!