Squadron Level Encampment

Started by Lt. Tex, August 22, 2010, 05:50:47 PM

Lt. Tex

Does anyone know if you can have a squadron level encampment?

CAPR 52-16 makes it sound like this would be possible. It define acceptance procedures and all the requirements for hosting an encampment. I doesn't say that you can't, but it also doesn't say that you can.

Has anyone done this before, heard of it being done, or have other manuals that may be of use?

Also you can have a squadron ALS or NCOS correct? If you cant have a squadron encampment could you have an ALS that completed all of the requirements so that cadets get credit for encampment?

davidsinn

I don't know about a squadron level encampment but I know you can have a group level one.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

Your best bet is to contact YOUR wing cadet programs director or activities officer. They will have the information you seek.

lordmonar

I did one when I was CC of an overseas squadron.

It is not the best option for what is really wanted out of an encampment....but it is in the rules.

You only need wing CC approval if IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BillB

A Squadron level or Group level encampment, commonly called Type B is possible. You have to meet the 40 hour minimum as outline in CAPR 52-16 Chapter 5. (pages 44 and 45) I think however you'll find that a successful encampment needs to have more than one Squadron. That would allow cadets to mix with cadets from other Squadrons.
The Type B encampment normally runs two or three weekends. Much depends on the availability of instructors, facilities and serospace/aviation attractions. I was asked a few months ago to design a Type B encampment which I did. It was based on what was available in that locality, so it may vary sightly for various areas.
Keep in mind it requires Wing approval to hold a Type B encampment.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I suppose a group encampment is possible but 52-16  5-2(b) makes it clear the Wing CC is responsible for all encampments held within the wing including appointment of the Encampment Commander. So even if an encampment was all members of Group Y it's still a wing activity

RVT

Quote from: davidsinn on August 22, 2010, 06:43:06 PMI don't know about a squadron level encampment but I know you can have a group level one.

I think the same thing holds true for a SAREX.   

Eclipse

You can hold an encampment-like activity at any level you like, however "Encampments" (not the capital "E") can only be run at the Wing level or higher, with a commander appointed by the Wing CC, and monitored and certified by the State Director, who must approve the activity in writing via a CAPF 20 for anyone to get credit.

While a Group may host the activity, Groups do not have independent authority to run an encampment that confers Mitchell credit.

Despite the fact that the CAPF 20 has not been updated, there are no longer Encampment "Types" (A,B,etc.), and have not been for about 8 or 9 years.  They are all simply "encampments".

A Squadron-level encampment would defeat one of the main reasons for encampments - which is large-scale followership and leadership, as well as outside scrutiny of cadet's who are forced to participate in activities away from their more benevolent home squadrons.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Martin

I wanted to do like a squadron-level encampment before the real encampment as a "pre-camp" to teach my cadets the basics such as how to make your bed properly and get them ready PT-wise. Also, to make sure they know their proper ceromonies, drill, and how to show respect (i.e. saluting). However, it was shot down by the current Squadron Commander.  :(
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023

DBlair

Quote from: C/Martin on September 27, 2010, 06:47:30 PM
I wanted to do like a squadron-level encampment before the real encampment as a "pre-camp" to teach my cadets the basics such as how to make your bed properly and get them ready PT-wise. Also, to make sure they know their proper ceromonies, drill, and how to show respect (i.e. saluting). However, it was shot down by the current Squadron Commander.  :(

This is usually called an Airman Leadership School or a Camp Curry, not an Encampment. Using the terminology of an "Encampment" opens a world of details far beyond what you were intending.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on August 22, 2010, 07:43:28 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 22, 2010, 06:43:06 PMI don't know about a squadron level encampment but I know you can have a group level one.

Where does anything say you can't have a squadron level SAREX? That is how most are done. Yes, there are a lot of wing group and some region SAREX activities. But, most of them are done at the squadron level. All you need to do is get approval from wing level and they will even give you a T mission number for use on SQTRs.

JC004

I wouldn't run a squadron encampment unless I had an overseas unit or a squadron in the middle of NOWHERE (Wyoming? even then...) for the reasons above.  I used to run a lot of squadron SAREXs, but I did invite other units to participate.  We usually had at least 3 or 4 units represented.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on August 22, 2010, 07:43:28 PM

Sarex's can be done at any echelon, on any scale, including funded ones, with Wing approval.

They do not have to be 10-aircraft, 150-person Charlie's - they can be a single GT with 1 aircrew, or even no planes.

"That Others May Zoom"