Speeches: Impromptu vs. Written

Started by Daniel, April 05, 2010, 01:08:37 AM

Daniel

I have been wonder lately whats better impromptu or written speeches?  Could they be used together at different times? Views? Thoughts? Anyone?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

MSgt Van

If you're going to be presenting a topic to an audience, go with the formal written speech. This doesn't mean you're reading the speech verbatim, just that you've got an outline in front of you to keep you on track. If you have a timeline you need to follow, put the timing notes on the side of your outline.

You really have to be familiar with a subject to pull off an impromptu speech. The tendency is to get off topic, and using a lot of vocal pauses ("uh", "and uh," etc).  The best preparation is to become very familiar with your outline and topic. Stepping in front of an audience unprepared isn't the most enjoyable way to spend an evening, but speaking to an audience when you've got all your ducks in a row is an enjoyable experience.

Short Field

A well done "canned" speech (that is word for word exactly as scripted) is indistingushable from a well done impromptu speech - and normally can be done better as it is a "performance". 

I spent years briefing senior officers and VIPs in the military.  When I started out, I wrote out every word to make sure my phrasing was correct, I covered the topics correctly, and I had good transitions between main points, a good introduction, and a good summary statement.   The key is to practice it enough that you don't commit the sin of "reading" the speech.  That means almost committing it to memory so you can use the script as a guide.  With practice, you will be able to just use bullet notes and phrases.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

I once delivered a eulogy using a dozen words written on an index card to keep me on track. Afterwards, I had family members asking me for a copy!

Public speaking is one of those things that really does require practice. I've always admired people who could unexpectedly jump up and "say a few words" to the crowd.

Flying Pig

Speaking when something may be very emotional, such as a funeral like what was mentioned above, its good to have it written down.  One, to stay on track when you get choked up.  To make sure you get out what you want to say when you only have one shot to do it and if you need to just grit through it and get the words out.
Or, written if you have an audience where a very specific message needs to be conveyed, like a political speech where the sharks in the media are waiting to analyze every word.  Written speeches are also good if your time frame is tight and you don't have time deviate.

Most people dont really make impromptu "speeches".  Unless your the CEO or a Congressman, there probably arent many times where you will be required to give a speech on a moments notice.   It takes a lot of practice, a good command of vocabulary and complete understanding of your topic to make a good impromptu speech.  Acting classes are probably some of the best speech classes you can take.  Debate clubs are good to.  Some of the biggest issues I see when people talk in public is that their mouth works, but they dont know what to do with the rest of their body and they end up using hand and arm gestures that dont flow with that they are saying.
Now, an impromptu class is a different animal.  However, all of the above applies.  But to give an impromptu class on a subject, requirement #1 is that you need to know what you are talking about.  If you start BS'ing your listeners, they will shut you off fast.
When I used to teach Law Enforcement SWAT courses, without fail, there was always one person in the class who would raise their hand and ask "Who are you and why did they hire you to teach us?"  The first time I was asked, I was almost shocked, and then I realized, "Uh yeah, thats a very valid question."   If your going to give classes, have an answer ready, whether its teaching drill or teaching commercial deep sea diving.  Tell them why they should listen to you, without bragging about yourself.

SarDragon

And here are some points to remember when delivering your speech:

Think of the word VEGAS.

Voice - Articulation and pronunciation. Speak clearly, with sufficient volume to reach the back of the room. Goes along with command voice in drill.

Eye contact - Eye contact is important for three reasons. First, it lets the listeners know you are interested in them. Second, effective eye contact allows you to receive nonverbal feedback. Third, effective eye contact enhances your credibility.

Gestures - Gestures may be used to clarify or emphasize ideas in your speech. By gestures we mean the purposeful use of the hands, arms, shoulders, and head to reinforce what is being said. Fidgeting with a paper clip, rearranging and shuffling papers, and scratching your ear are not gestures. They are not purposeful and they distract from the verbal message.

Attitude - Be positive and enthusiastic. Know your stuff.

Speech -  Avoid "vocalized pauses" -  the name we give to syllables "a," "uh," "um," and "ah". Similarly, avoid overusing stock expressions, such as "OK," "like," and "you know." These expressions serve no positive role in communication and only convey a lack of originality by the speaker.

Download and read Chapter 13 of Air Force Manual 36-2236, Guidebook For Air Force Instructors for additional info on this subject.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I've had experiences both ways with impromptu speeches. In a small group (classroom sized or less) I can usually pull it off pretty well (with at least a few seconds to gather my thoughts, I don't want to be thinking as I'm speaking or I'll forget to cover certain points), but I suffer from "um um"s like others. I've also had it go completely horribly (in front of a group in the IL Capitol rotunda no less :().

The upside to speaking without notes is that you will find yourself less tied to a podium or slide deck and better able to move around/make eye contact with your audience (some people - including me - view being tied to a podium as yawn-inducing).

Short Field

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 05, 2010, 12:53:52 PM
The upside to speaking without notes is that you will find yourself less tied to a podium or slide deck and better able to move around/make eye contact with your audience (some people - including me - view being tied to a podium as yawn-inducing).
Just don't confuse "speaking without notes" with "speaking without being prepared".   ;D  The more you prepare, the less you are tied to notes, slides, or podiums.  Public speaking is just another skill set.  The more you work at it, the better you get. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

I think we are mixing our terminologies.

Impromptu speeches are those where you have very little time to prepare....that is something on the order of less then 24 hours.

Extemporaneous speeches are those speeches while well prepared are given with help of little or no notes.

Compare this to a speech that is well scripted and read word for word.

Now the question is which is "better" that all depends on a lot of things.  Subject matter, length of speech, audience analysis, venue, time constraints, speaking ability, knowled of the subject matter, etc.

As Short Field said.....a good speaker can do a formal scripted speech as if was extemporaneous.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP