Sleep required/recomended at cadet activity

Started by CAPC/officer125, March 15, 2010, 10:40:06 PM

CAPC/officer125

I am putting together an Officers' and Sergeants' School schedule for our Wing Conference weekend. I was wondering how much time you would recommend or is required at such an activity? I am thinking of putting PT on the schedule but it doesn't have to be included and they are separate schools running on schedules that are somewhat alike but different in the amount the demand.
Your thoughts or reg cites?
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

tsrup

8-9 hours   remember they will never go to sleep on time anyways.  Making lights out around 2100 usually works for these kinds events
Paramedic
hang-around.

Ned

And sleep time is just as important for the cadet staff as it is for the students.  Sometimes it takes a firm hand to make sure that the staff is getting their sleep.

Ned Lee

jimmydeanno

CAP is not an exercise in sleep deprivation and proper sleeping time should be alloted for activities.  Most professionals will tell you that people need between 7-9 hours of sleep per night. 

For your students and staff to get the most out of their experience, they will need the focus and energy that comes from a proper night's sleep.

Best of Luck.

EDIT: Additionally, I would highly recommend that your school not run for 16 hours each day.  You can only keep people's attention for so long.  Provide enough time in your schedule for refocus breaks (10 minutes per hour or so) and proper time for meals.

If anything, the care you take in planning will rub off on them as the proper way to do things, which in turn will teach them another lesson about being a leader.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: tsrup on March 15, 2010, 10:46:31 PM
8-9 hours   remember they will never go to sleep on time anyways.

They do if you strictly enforce Staff Lights Out times. And this includes the Cadet Commander too, especially the Cadet Commander...

Several years ago the "Sergeant Major" at the California Wing Encampment was fired from his position for insubordination in the middle of Encampment because he refused to obey the Staff Lights Out rule.

Funny, we haven't had too many problems with Staff Lights Out since then. ;)

heliodoc

^^^

After the Risk Assessments, ORM, CRM, Safety Officer checks and dotting all the I's and crossing the T's

That Voila'  The above answers to the threads are all on target

But then you have those SM wanting to plkay war games!!

Eclipse

Quote from: heliodoc on March 16, 2010, 01:50:14 AM
But then you have those SM wanting to plkay war games!!

The Sergeant Major of that activity is a cadet position...   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Your point? Aren't we talking about cadet sleeping habits and requirements?

I think Mr. Hall was quite well aware of the cadet-ness of the positon, and was likely present at the activity in question.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 01:56:41 AM

Sgt Maj?  I thought USAF (and CAP) uses "1st Sgt"!

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on March 16, 2010, 02:08:21 AM
Your point? Aren't we talking about cadet sleeping habits and requirements?

I think Mr. Hall was quite well aware of the cadet-ness of the positon, and was likely present at the activity in question.

Yes, Hall knows, look two above...

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Eclipse

Yep - sleep deprived people are cranky and no fun.  We stress to the staff that good planning negates the need for midnight
staff meetings - lights out for all hands is strictly enforced for all at the same time, as is wake-up time.  Your eyes may be open,
but you're in your rack until wake-up time (1/2 hour earlier for staff).

In years past we had cadets hiding under desks trying to get things together for first light, that's a bad idea and unnecessary. 
If its not done at lights out, it waits or just doesn't get done.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

There are several answers to this question in the CAP Knowledgebase with links to sources.

PHall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 16, 2010, 02:09:09 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 01:56:41 AM

Sgt Maj?  I thought USAF (and CAP) uses "1st Sgt"!

I just knew somebody was going to comment on this.

Save it for another thread, don't derail this one.

ZigZag911

"Derail"???

Actions like this by seniors -- making things up as we go along, doing whatever we feel like regardless or custom OR regulation -- are one of the root causes for this type of attitude among cadet staff at encampments.

They come to regard themselves as indispensable persons, above the rules, because that is the example set for them.

We need to lead by example.

Eclipse

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 16, 2010, 03:22:18 PM
"Derail"???

Actions like this by seniors -- making things up as we go along, doing whatever we feel like regardless or custom OR regulation -- are one of the root causes for this type of attitude among cadet staff at encampments.

They come to regard themselves as indispensable persons, above the rules, because that is the example set for them.

We need to lead by example.

Repeating now - the Sgt Maj at that encampment is a cadet...

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

Leading by example?   In CAP??

Indispensable persons?  In CAP??

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.