Jan Safety Beacon -- what do these articles have to do with CAP safety?

Started by RiverAux, January 08, 2012, 01:24:32 AM

SarDragon

If it's in the vicinity of the tail tie-down, then it makes more sense.  I've seen more than one plane try to taxi away with that tie-down still attached.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I don't understand the point either. SarDragon's theory makes some sense but it would be nice if the point was explained in the memo.

SarDragon

I think the varied topics are intended to encourage a full time safety attitude. Certainly your few hours a week of CAP activity shouldn't be the only time you are thinking about being safe.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Quote from: RiverAux on January 08, 2012, 07:52:25 PM
If I lose my job and can no longer afford to pay my dues will CAP be providing job training so that they don't lose my ability to participate in ES missions?

I would argue that we provide a level of responsibility on some of our members that actually develop them Professionally.  Doing certain jobs in the squadron or wing improve their abilities whether it gives someone experience in administration, supervision, logistics...some potential employers will count pertinent Volunteer experience as equivalent to career experience.  So you could say that we already do provide some with job training.

It seemed like your comment was going off on a tangent...straying off the subject of the thread though.  His question was how does something seemingly benign as a safety brief on holiday decorations help him meet CAP's safety objectives for an ELT mission.  So I answered it.  People are our most important resource we try to get them to be safety conscious 24/7.  maybe even get them to incorporate ORM techniques into their everyday activities.

RogueLeader

WIAD, we had a safety brief every Friday before we got released for the weekend.  Not once in any of those briefings did any material have to do with the army. When we were doing an army training event, we most certainly had a pertinent safety brief.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

And when CAP can show that all the extra stuff we've been adding to our safety program has an impact on CAP safety statistics, perhaps then they should start worrying about what we're doing the rest of our lives. 

SARDOC

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2012, 01:34:26 PM
And when CAP can show that all the extra stuff we've been adding to our safety program has an impact on CAP safety statistics, perhaps then they should start worrying about what we're doing the rest of our lives.

You're asking to prove a negative.  That not typically how it's done.  Besides we don't maintain statistics on our membership for accidents or near misses that occur outside the CAP environment.   That is a Logistical challenge that we don't need to place on our membership.

Safety briefings are more about just the topic, they are about retraining the way people think and get them in the habit of doing an ORM process on events that impact them in their everyday life.  Which will benefit when you are working in CAP.  Maybe instead of calling it a Safety brief it should be called Applications for ORM training.

We can't prove that an accident didn't occur because of a safety brief. 

Ned

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2012, 01:34:26 PM

I concur that safety education should be evidence-based. 

We generally model our safety programs after other successful safety programs, like the AF.  We need to make safety education evidence-based because if a given program cannot make a measurable difference, then we are likely overlooking a better program that can.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on January 09, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
We can't prove that an accident didn't occur because of a safety brief.

True, but we can look at statistical data and see if the trends in mishaps are up, down, or static, and based on my non-scientific review of the
78's from the last couple of years, the trend in mishaps, especially avoidable ones involving vehicles, seems to be static with a slight
upward trend - this during the exact period when the emphasis on safety education has also been on the rise.

So that can be taken at least two different ways -

"We're swamped in safety and it's becoming background noise that people ignore, so let's reduce the noise."

"Stop breaking people and stuff and show us you can be safe and we'll reduce the requirements."

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Third note:

There's more reporting of stuff. I've been told to report every near miss when driving a CAP vehicle, even (or especially) when no contact, damage, or injury is involved. You know, those times when you move right or left in your lane beacuse the vehicle in the next lane is drifting into yours until you hit the horn. Or you see an erratic driver coming up fast and move out of their way before contact is made as the blow through the space you just moved out of. Ordinarily, no harm, no foul. Now reportable.

Fill disclosure - I don't. I asked my wing SE if he wanted two or three reports every trip because of this. He said no. Most of the trips are over 100 miles.

Also, early on, most of the safety education was focused on bending aircraft.

EMT-83

Quote from: arajca on January 09, 2012, 05:21:47 PM... Or you see an erratic driver coming up fast and move out of their way before contact is made as the blow through the space you just moved out of. Ordinarily, no harm, no foul. Now reportable...

Cite?

arajca

Quote from: CAPR 62-2d. "Mishap" is defined as any unplanned or undesired, operational occurrence, or series of occurrences, that results in, or has the potential to result in, death, injury, or damage to equipment or property.
emphasis mine.

Quote from: CAPR 62-2(2) Vehicle. Mishaps involving CAP Vehicles, during authorized CAP activities; includes damage to structures such as buildings, fences, light poles, etc. (See attachment 2.)
Quote from: CAPR 62-23. Vehicle Minor Mishap is a mishap associated with the operation of a CAP vehicle which does not meet the minimum criteria to be classified as an accident or incident.

EMT-83

Fill out a 78 to merge or change lanes? Yeah, I'll get right on it.

RogueLeader

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 09, 2012, 07:20:39 PM
Fill out a 78 to merge or change lanes? Yeah, I'll get right on it.

According to his scenario:
Quote from: arajca on January 09, 2012, 05:21:47 PM... Or you see an erratic driver coming up fast and move out of their way before contact is made as the blow through the space you just moved out of. Ordinarily, no harm, no foul. Now reportable...

you would have to.  May not agree with it, but it is what it is, until the regs change or the scenario does.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

So instead of the pre-flight taking a lot of time .. the post flight has the potential to take a while. :)

Eclipse

An erratic driver playing bumper tag is different than the normal interaction with traffic. Whether it rates a 78 is between you and "he who provides your straw."  I could see some hairs being raised if someone reports a COV as "driving erratically" and the CAP driver not reporting, etc.

I know in year's past when I abided by the most strict interpretation of the regs I was told that common bumps and bruises, etc., did not rate a report...

...then that they do...

...then that they don't...

...well, just to be "safe"...

Rinse, repeat....

"That Others May Zoom"

wrightbro

I do wish the Safety Beacon contained more relevant safety information for CAP. This would make it a more valuable resource for use in safety briefings. The Safety Beacon has the potential to be a good place for safety officers to find ideas to use in safety briefings. But the topics really aren't relevant.

RiverAux

Well, the Feb. beacon is somewhat of an improvement except, what is the lead article in the SAFETY newsletter?  Something about social media. 

Most of the rest has some more direct relevance to CAP operations even if presented in a generic way as aviation safety articles and general first aid type advice. 

However, the night time safety article is a perfect example of the problem.  Rather than turning it into something relevant to CAP life it talks about using crosswalks and wearing black while walking along roads.  How about something about doing ES missions at night?  Night time PT tests on dark parking lots? 

Then there is this about night ES/hiking operations:
QuoteWear required reflective vest or belts, the American National Safety Institute (ANSI) Class II or Class III vests are recommended but any retro-reflective color, yellow, orange, white will work

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on February 05, 2012, 10:15:42 PM
QuoteWear required reflective vest or belts, the American National Safety Institute (ANSI) Class II or Class III vests are recommended but any retro-reflective color, yellow, orange, white will work

All this has happened before, and will happen again...

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2012, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 05, 2012, 10:15:42 PM

All this has happened before, and will happen again...

That show sucked. I much prefer the Ron Moore version....IDK who that guy is but Starbuck is a woman.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn