indoc program

Started by flyguy06, August 13, 2006, 06:48:02 PM

flyguy06

Why cant CAP run a basic indoc program for cadets similar to the Air Force Academy

MIKE

You mean like the Cadet Orientation Course, or something more Hardcore?  Our retention problems are bad enough as it is.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 13, 2006, 06:48:02 PM
Why cant CAP run a basic indoc program for cadets similar to the Air Force Academy

When would you hold it and who would pay for it?

flyguy06

Quote from: MIKE on August 13, 2006, 06:54:17 PM
You mean like the Cadet Orientation Course, or something more Hardcore?  Our retention problems are bad enough as it is.

I thinjk youth want that militaristic training. I know I and most of my fellow cadets did when I was a cadet. I dont mean basic Training, but something a little more challenegeing than what we have now. Just asking. Dont need sarcasim

shorning

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 14, 2006, 01:14:57 AM
I thinjk youth want that militaristic training. I know I and most of my fellow cadets did when I was a cadet. I dont mean basic Training, but something a little more challenegeing than what we have now. Just asking. Dont need sarcasim

So if that's what you want, what's stopping you?  There is nothing saying you can't do something a little more "militaristic" in your squadron.  But like has already been said, that could drive some members away.  Not to mention the tendency for hazing.

flyguy06

Well, thats the whole point. CAP isnt for everybody. Just like Boy Scouts isnt for everybody. CAP is a very serious program with a serious mission. Teenagers looking for crashed airplanes and possibly dead people. Every teen cant handle that. It takes a mature person Teen or adult. SO if had a screeing program (militaristic) that weded out those that dont have leadership potential or maturity to handle certain situations then we would have a great core of cadets.

mikeylikey

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 14, 2006, 03:12:15 PM
Well, thats the whole point. CAP isn't for everybody. Just like Boy Scouts isn't for everybody. CAP is a very serious program with a serious mission. Teenagers looking for crashed airplanes and possibly dead people. Every teen cant handle that. It takes a mature person Teen or adult. SO if had a screening program (militaristic) that weeded out those that don't have leadership potential or maturity to handle certain situations then we would have a great core of cadets.

WHAT?!???   "Weed out those that don't have leadership potentia"l.  It is people like you who cause others not to grow and develop their potential because they may not fit your "model of a perfect leader".  Perhaps there should be a program to "weed out" people like you who would rather deny a person the opportunity to explore potential.  Don't forget not everyone does the ES side of CAP.  It is not a requirement to be in the cadet program.  Poor choice for an example. 
  I believe we already have a "great core of cadets", a good leadership and aviation program that has been proven over the last 60 years.  If CAP were to implement a "screening program", I fear the membership numbers would take a huge hit.  Finally, the cadet program is designed to introduce leadership in a uniform and understandable method.  Everyone has leadership potential, and through CAP a person can learn and put to practice those traits and qualities of leadership. 

What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 14, 2006, 03:31:09 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 14, 2006, 03:12:15 PM
Well, thats the whole point. CAP isn't for everybody. Just like Boy Scouts isn't for everybody. CAP is a very serious program with a serious mission. Teenagers looking for crashed airplanes and possibly dead people. Every teen cant handle that. It takes a mature person Teen or adult. SO if had a screening program (militaristic) that weeded out those that don't have leadership potential or maturity to handle certain situations then we would have a great core of cadets.

WHAT?!???   "Weed out those that don't have leadership potentia"l.  It is people like you who cause others not to grow and develop their potential because they may not fit your "model of a perfect leader".  Perhaps there should be a program to "weed out" people like you who would rather deny a person the opportunity to explore potential.  Don't forget not everyone does the ES side of CAP.  It is not a requirement to be in the cadet program.  Poor choice for an example. 
  I believe we already have a "great core of cadets", a good leadership and aviation program that has been proven over the last 60 years.  If CAP were to implement a "screening program", I fear the membership numbers would take a huge hit.  Finally, the cadet program is designed to introduce leadership in a uniform and understandable method.  Everyone has leadership potential, and through CAP a person can learn and put to practice those traits and qualities of leadership. 

Well,I have been doing CAP since 1984 both as cadet and senior and nobody has "weeded" me out yet. In fact Wing leaders keep bugging me about working up at Wing but I am loyal to my Squadron. Its not that I dont see people's leadership potential at all. Heck,if you me you would know I had a hard time developing my own leadership skills. I wasnt eaxactly number 1 in my OCS class nor was I top dawg at Infantry school. I had a lot to learn and a waysd to grow. I believe leaders are made and not born. But fact is everyone cant be a leader. Thats not a knock onthem. Different people have different contributions to make.. SOme are leaders and some are follweres. Neither is better than the other.They are just different.

Fromwhat you say, we should take everybody in and work withthem.Thats fine. Come down to my neighborhood and try that.  I would wish you luck. CAP is not a game or a toy. We teach youths to fly airplanes. Thats  serious. We teach youths to look for dead people/ Thats serious. There are cadtes I have seen that dont have the maturity level to deal with those kinds of situations and yet  they are cadet leaders.  IS that smart? I dont think it is. Cause this 13 year old c2LT may be in charge of other cadets and wont know how tolead them therby making the wholeteam fail.

Tes, everyone can be trained (If I can be trained, anybody can) But some people take longer than others. Which is exactly why I am an advocate of military type training. It breaks everybody down to the same level and brings them up the way the organization wants Here is an example:

In military basic training, you have black people, white people,. rich people and poor people. Peaople from different social and economic environments. the Drill Sergeants job is to take these people from various backgrounds and experiences and make them into a team. How does he do this? By breaking them down the same. That way the rich kid who probably never picked up a mop in his life has the same experience as the poor kid from the mountains who never owned a pair of fancy shoes ( I have seen this for real) They learn to work together. And by the time they graduate, they are one unit, one team.

I amnot advocating making cadets into soldiers. I am advocating Develppi making 13-18 year old youths into leaders and airmen. Developing the leadership qualities inthe SOme will develop and unfortunantly some will not. I come from the inner city and believe me some kids cannot be reached. Its unfortunant, but true

Mod Edit: Fixed broken quote tag. --MK

flyguy06

Again, it comes from experience. I am NOT trying to throw any stines here, but most of the folks onher ecome from middle class environments and are lucky enough to have good youths in your programs. I come from a different environment and I probably have different kind of kids than you do