Main Menu

CAP Jewelry

Started by Ratatouille, January 28, 2015, 04:09:59 PM

Ratatouille

Apparently someone is selling CAP service rings:
http://capjewelers.com/
I will now take bets on the Over-Under for how quickly NHQ shuts them down.

A.Member

A bigger question is why would anyone want one? Ish.  My guess is there won't be much to "shut down".
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

AirAux

That would be pretty crappy to shut them down.  I would think there would be many that would want to commerate their years in CAP.  I once had an Army ring.  Might get a CAP ring.  I would think the wantabees would get them?  If I put Civil Air Patrol on my tombstone, is headquarters going to have a fit?

Al Sayre

Looks like the same outfit that tries to sell you a $500 high school ring that you quit wearing your 1st year of college or when the stone falls out.  Concur I think this will be self desisting...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on January 28, 2015, 05:01:43 PMI would think there would be many that would want to commemorate their years in CAP.

I've had a ring from the bookstore, one of the last they had available, for at least 10 years.

Generally it's on or off my finger depending on my "CAP mood" that day.

I also occasionally wear my high school ring if I'm meeting up with others from my school.
I have a ring from the tech school I attended, but as I didn't graduate I don't wear it.

At the time (2000) CAP had two different manufacturers making rings, including Jostens.
By the 2004 catalog (below), they were just selling out the existing stock.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

https://www.facebook.com/caprings

The URL tracks back to a gent in NJ who's Linked-In page indicates membership and who
is the only person commenting on the FB page above, and appears to be wearing one in the photos on the
page above.

It's only been registered since Oct 2014.  I'd guess he has an off-shore or local jeweler who is able to make them.
There's probably 100 different ring companies that will make school, military and just general affiliation rings as 1-offs
to anyone with a credit card and the desire to show off their Starfleet Academy Class, WoW character, or LARPing club.

If he offered them to verified members only, at cost, then he'd be arguably be within the approved use for the indices.
If he sells them externally to non-members, then NHQ might send him a letter, but since this >isn't< something
VG is selling, whats the point?  Besides, who know?  Maybe he has approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 28, 2015, 05:03:28 PM
Looks like the same outfit that tries to sell you a $500 high school ring that you quit wearing your 1st year of college or when the stone falls out.  Concur I think this will be self desisting...

Jostens is the company, or at least a well-known high school & college ring company. 

I guess it is a "to each their own".  I hate wearing rings so I have never owned a high school/college/graduate/military/whatever ring.  I rarely wear my wedding ring in fact.  However, I know many men that do like to still wear their rings, whether it be West Point, Texas A&M, Harvard, or whatever school.  While I personally would not buy a CAP ring, there are probably some men that might be interested in it.

Майор Хаткевич

Women too...

I only wear my wedding band. Been wearing an "engagement" one for about 6 years, so I'm used to it now.

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on January 28, 2015, 09:13:56 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 28, 2015, 05:03:28 PM

Jostens is the company, or at least a well-known high school & college ring company. 

Mine came from Herff-Jones, probably the other major player in school rings.

I've worn a larger wedding band since day one, and I also have a fairly heavy ring that I received as a 10-year anniversary
remembrance.

My right hand feels light if there isn't something on the ring finger.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2015, 10:02:30 PM

Right hand? Or...matching the left with the wedding band?

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 10:06:51 PM

Left hand wedding, right hand CAP/School/Anniversary/Dad's ring, what have you...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2015, 10:17:51 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 10:06:51 PM

Left hand wedding, right hand CAP/School/Anniversary/Dad's ring, what have you...

Roger.

For a moment I thought you wore the wedding band on the right.

jeders

Personally, I know of one man who wears two engagement rings and a wedding band (long story, don't ask). I wear my wedding band every day and I would continue to wear my college ring, except that I lost it a few years ago and can't find the paperwork to get it replaced. I still have my high school ring, though it sits in my wife's jewelry bowl.

I wouldn't mind wearing a CAP ring, though I'm not going to drop 300 bucks right now for one. I think anyone who buys and wears one of these is committed to CAP and wants to outwardly show that commitment, so I have no problem.

All of that said, I give it 6 months until they close up from either a C&D or lack of business.

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

The other company in the class ring triumvirate is Balfour.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: AirAux on January 28, 2015, 05:01:43 PM
That would be pretty crappy to shut them down.  I would think there would be many that would want to commerate their years in CAP.  I once had an Army ring.  Might get a CAP ring.  I would think the wantabees would get them?  If I put Civil Air Patrol on my tombstone, is headquarters going to have a fit?

I think that having a CAP ring would be fine. I never got a ring from the Police Academy and they are like $1200 now.

If we get our tombstone thru the VA I wonder if they would put CAP on it? Maybe one of the grandchildren could "photoshop" Lt Col, USAF Auxiliary on it?  >:D