Main Menu

Hawaii Wing problems

Started by RiverAux, January 21, 2015, 10:47:18 PM

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2015, 10:21:55 PM
Quote from: bflynn on January 27, 2015, 08:38:40 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on January 26, 2015, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2015, 01:14:41 AM
Granted, HIWG is unique in that it seems like you can't go to the bathroom without an aircraft of some type,
but it's certainly a legit musing to wonder if they would have lost aircraft already if it weren't such a hassle to get them back.

A rather naïve question, but does any know how much it costs NHQ to get a Cessna to HI?

It will depend on the method

You can disassemble it and ship it in a shipping container.  In that case, the actual shipping and container is a small part of the cost, the disassembly and reassembly of the airplane is the expense...something in the 10-15k range if there's no damage in the shipping?  The chances of damage are not zero.

To fly the intact airplane, most of the internals will be stripped, shipped externally and large fuel tanks put on board.  Figure 15-20k for the ferry flight.

I'm estimating both, but the numbers are in correct rough order of magnitude.

I think if you took off the empennage and the spinner you might be able to squeeze it into a Beluga sideways.

If they did fit that way, you could move 3 at a time!

You could fit about a dozen on a Boeing 747-400LCF "Dream Lifter".  Too bad they fly to Japan via Anchorage. Because they're empty on the westbound leg.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 09:04:12 PM
Everyone has that in E-Services.

Click on the Statistics box Arrow X, choose unit.

Feb 2000: 47/0 (SM/Cadet)
Feb 2001: 48/7
Feb 2002: 40/3
Feb 2003: 39/2
Feb 2004: 39/3
Feb 2005: 50/9
Feb 2006: 53/15
Feb 2007: 44/19
Feb 2008: 43/12
Feb 2009: 46/11
Feb 2010: 42/28
Feb 2011: 49/2
Feb 2012: 62/27
Feb 2013: 68/36
Feb 2014: 67/44
Jan 2015: 67/12

If I read that correctly the problem is on the Cadet side. Typical poor management of the Cadets. The SM population looks steady for the last few years.  8)

AirDX

Quote from: bflynn on January 27, 2015, 08:59:27 PM

I still don't understand having 7 or 8 of those airplanes based on Oahu.  Seems like it would pretty much end ES on Maui and Kauai or at least encourage people to find other things to do with their free time.

You don't understand it because it's not the case.  I addressed this earlier.  There are 4 aircraft nominally based on Oahu.  1 of those 4 has been farmed out to the Big Island for over a year replacing an aircraft that's been in extended maintenance.  Of the 3 remaining on Oahu, 1 has been in maintenance for 2-3 months itself. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

bflynn

Quote from: AirDX on January 28, 2015, 05:12:14 PM

I still don't understand having 7 or 8 of those airplanes based on Oahu.  Seems like it would pretty much end ES on Maui and Kauai or at least encourage people to find other things to do with their free time.

You don't understand it because it's not the case.  I addressed this earlier.  There are 4 aircraft nominally based on Oahu.  1 of those 4 has been farmed out to the Big Island for over a year replacing an aircraft that's been in extended maintenance.  Of the 3 remaining on Oahu, 1 has been in maintenance for 2-3 months itself.

I must have misread something.  What I understood.

They have 10 aircraft.  I've read 2-3 are on the Big Island.  2 were removed from Kauai and Maui and moved to Oahu, leaving both Kauai and Maui with no aircraft.

There are only squadrons on 4 islands.  Therefore, any remaining aircraft must be on Oahu.

In any case, to my knowledge there are only aircraft on Oahu and Hawaii.  No other islands have a plane.

If I have some wrong information, that would help explain my confusion.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on January 27, 2015, 10:30:12 PM
When did CAPTalk become official CAP use?

Quote from: eServicesThis Data is for OFFICIAL CAP USE ONLY . All other use is prohibited.

Ctrl+F pulls up nothing for This Data is for OFFICIAL CAP USE ONLY . All other use is prohibited.

LSThiker

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 10:08:33 PM

Quote from: eServicesThis Data is for OFFICIAL CAP USE ONLY . All other use is prohibited.

Ctrl+F pulls up nothing for This Data is for OFFICIAL CAP USE ONLY . All other use is prohibited.

Perhaps you should do something other than "Crtl + F".

Also, under the legal section of eServices:

QuoteWarning: THE INFORMATION YOU ARE RECEIVING IS PROTECTED FROM INTERCEPTION OR DISCLOSURE. ANY PERSON WHO INTENTIONALLY DISTRIBUTES, REPRODUCES, OR DISCLOSES ITS CONTENTS IS SUBJECT TO THE PENALTIES SET FORTH IN 18 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 2511 AND/OR RELEATED STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES.

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on January 28, 2015, 11:14:53 PM
Warning: THE INFORMATION YOU ARE RECEIVING IS PROTECTED FROM INTERCEPTION OR DISCLOSURE. ANY PERSON WHO INTENTIONALLY DISTRIBUTES, REPRODUCES, OR DISCLOSES ITS CONTENTS IS SUBJECT TO THE PENALTIES SET FORTH IN 18 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 2511 AND/OR RELEATED STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES.

Heh.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on January 28, 2015, 11:14:53 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 10:08:33 PM

Perhaps you should do something other than "Crtl + F".

Also, under the legal section of eServices:

QuoteWarning: THE INFORMATION YOU ARE RECEIVING IS PROTECTED FROM INTERCEPTION OR DISCLOSURE. ANY PERSON WHO INTENTIONALLY DISTRIBUTES, REPRODUCES, OR DISCLOSES ITS CONTENTS IS SUBJECT TO THE PENALTIES SET FORTH IN 18 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 2511 AND/OR RELEATED STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES.

I have access to all cadet reports and most (all?) Unit reports. Very few have that disclaimer on them. If this was meant to be a blanket statement for everything on eservices, then we should discontinue the meeting log reports as non members get to see it.

AirDX

I'm not sure where you read all that, but it's wrong.  Quoting my own post from this thread:

Quote from: AirDX on January 23, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
I'm the HNL squadron commander and wing assistant director of operations...

There are 4 aircraft nominally based on Oahu, with 5 squadrons on the island, 3 composite, 1 cadet, and 1 senior.  3 of the aircraft belong to me, though one of them has been farmed out to Hilo on the Big Island for nearly a year and a half, as theirs has been in a prolonged engine change.  Maui has had no aircraft as theirs is in extended maintenance, and Kona is the same.  Note added: Maui's aircraft was ferried home today, 1/28

No aircraft have been moved at this point, other than the one I mentioned above, on loan.  They certainly will be if necessary.  It's hard to get to the magic 200 hours/aircraft with 40% of the fleet NMC for months at a time.

AirDX

Quote from: bflynn on January 28, 2015, 09:28:49 PM

See the post above.

Private Investigator

Quote from: bflynn on January 28, 2015, 09:28:49 PM
Quote from: AirDX on January 28, 2015, 05:12:14 PM

I must have misread something.  What I understood.

They have 10 aircraft.  I've read 2-3 are on the Big Island.  2 were removed from Kauai and Maui and moved to Oahu, leaving both Kauai and Maui with no aircraft.

There are only squadrons on 4 islands.  Therefore, any remaining aircraft must be on Oahu.

In any case, to my knowledge there are only aircraft on Oahu and Hawaii.  No other islands have a plane.

We are looking at ten (10) resources but five (5) are in the shop. So you have five (5) that are operational. That is how I copy the status report.   8)

SarDragon

OK, I'm in the status report as we speak. Here's what I see:

3 planes on Kauai, 2 FMC, 1 NMC
3 planes at one airport on Oahu, 2 FMC, 1 NMC
1 plane at another airport on Oahu, NMC
1 plane at one airport on the Big Island, PMC
1 plane at another airport on the Big Island, NMC
1 plane at on Maui, NMC

That adds up to 10.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

It's easy for an article to paint doom and gloom...

The GoB Network is slowly coming to the realization that the Flying Club days are over, they're just not going quietly.

ProdigalJim

>bump<

Wow. From the Maui News:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/597502/Civil-Air-Patrol-appoints-temporary-commander.html?nav=10

"Zayas, 62, of Kihei is awaiting sentencing next month after pleading no contest to a reduced charge of third-degree forgery of another pilot's signature on a Civil Air Patrol document to indicate Zayas was qualified to fly cadets on orientation flights."
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

JC004

LSThiker

Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 02, 2015, 02:15:15 AM
>bump<

Wow. From the Maui News:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/597502/Civil-Air-Patrol-appoints-temporary-commander.html?nav=10

"Zayas, 62, of Kihei is awaiting sentencing next month after pleading no contest to a reduced charge of third-degree forgery of another pilot's signature on a Civil Air Patrol document to indicate Zayas was qualified to fly cadets on orientation flights."

So I am not going to be spending money on a subscription.  Who is Zayas because the lead paragraph (free paragraph) talks about a new Wing Commander:

QuoteA new temporary commander has been appointed for the Hawaii wing of the Civil Air Patrol, following controversy over the disbanding of a longtime Kahului squadron and the nearly yearlong absence of a mission airplane that had been stationed at Kahului Airport.

However, Col Wong is the wing commander.  Or are they appointing a new squadron commander, which if I recall correctly was Lt Reyes. 

Can you elaborate a bit?  Yes, I am being lazy and not paying for the article.  Thanks,

lordmonar

Wong stepped Down two weeks ago. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ProdigalJim

Quote from: LSThiker on May 02, 2015, 03:27:11 AM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 02, 2015, 02:15:15 AM
>bump<

Wow. From the Maui News:

So I am not going to be spending money on a subscription.  Who is Zayas because the lead paragraph (free paragraph) talks about a new Wing Commander:

QuoteA new temporary commander has been appointed for the Hawaii wing of the Civil Air Patrol, following controversy over the disbanding of a longtime Kahului squadron and the nearly yearlong absence of a mission airplane that had been stationed at Kahului Airport.

However, Col Wong is the wing commander.  Or are they appointing a new squadron commander, which if I recall correctly was Lt Reyes. 

Can you elaborate a bit?  Yes, I am being lazy and not paying for the article.  Thanks,

Sorry, it was free and clear when I first clicked on it...?

Here's a cached copy of what appeared on April 29:

>>>
Civil Air Patrol appoints temporary commander
April 29, 2015
The Maui News
Save | Post a comment |       

A new temporary commander has been appointed for the Hawaii wing of the Civil Air Patrol, following controversy over the disbanding of a longtime Kahului squadron and the nearly yearlong absence of a mission airplane that had been stationed at Kahului Airport.

In a news release Tuesday, the organization announced that Col. John Henry Felix was appointed interim Hawaii wing commander.

He replaces Col. Jeff Wong, who was transferred to the organization's Pacific region headquarters after having headed the Hawaii wing for the past two years.

During Wong's tenure, the Cessna 192 airplane that had been used to provide tsunami and hurricane warnings for Maui County was removed from Kahului Airport and flown to Oahu for maintenance in March 2014. Officials said the plane, which had its cracked engine repaired, was back on Maui for about 12 days in January before being flown to Honolulu for additional maintenance. The plane was back on Maui in mid-March.

After transferring members out of the unit, Wong disbanded Maui Composite Squadron HI-057 on the day Hurricane Iselle hit the islands in early August. Wong said the squadron, chartered in 1974, was "realigned" with the newer 76th Kihei squadron because of a decline in active participating members.

That was disputed by some longtime former 57th Kahului squadron members during a Civil Air Patrol town hall meeting on Maui in March. They said the fully functioning, mission-ready unit was dismantled in a retaliatory move after clashes with Maj. Eduardo Zayas, who started the Kihei squadron in 2009 and was made vice commander for the Hawaii wing under Wong.

At the meeting, Col. Brian Bishop, commander of the Pacific region of the Civil Air Patrol, said Zayas was no longer a member of the Civil Air Patrol.

Zayas, 62, of Kihei is awaiting sentencing next month after pleading no contest to a reduced charge of third-degree forgery of another pilot's signature on a Civil Air Patrol document to indicate Zayas was qualified to fly cadets on orientation flights.

In the news release Tuesday, Bishop said that Wong's tenure as Hawaii wing commander "was marked by change, necessitated by an Air Force compliance inspection report citing nearly 90 deficiencies, with over 30 related to safety."

Wong was given eight months to correct the discrepancies found in the July 2013 inspection and bring the wing into compliance with Civil Air Patrol regulations and standards, which he did, Bishop said.

"He leaves the wing in excellent shape, with 100 percent of the deficiencies resolved," Bishop said.

He said that, with zero deficiencies, the new Hawaii wing can move forward under Felix, who has been a member for more than 50 years and served as Hawaii wing commander from 1967 to 1968 and from 1980 to 1982.

"I am proud to have this opportunity to help write the next chapter in Hawaii wing's long and illustrious record of service," Felix said in the news release. "The Hawaii wing consists of dedicated patriots whose service to the citizens of Hawaii includes critically important tsunami warnings, as well as significant disaster relief and emergency service missions, cadet programs and aerospace education."

Felix, a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, is commander of the Maryknoll Cadet Squadron in Honolulu. He is executive chairman, chief operating officer and chief financial officer of the Hawaii Medical Assurance Association.

Felix spent 16 years on the Honolulu City Council and has been chairman of more than a dozen federal, state and county boards and commissions. During his career spanning five decades, he has headed the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Red Cross, Boy Scouts Aloha Council, March of Dimes, Consular Corps of Hawaii, Hawaii Public Radio, Young Presidents Organization, Junior Achievement and Academy of the Pacific.

Hawaii wing commander interviews will be held later this year, with a formal change of command set for 2016.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

He must have mis-read the document title, thought it read Forge-5.