Cadet with Alcohol Misdemeanor

Started by Reacher, October 19, 2014, 12:31:58 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 03:23:10 PM
I'm not arguing for the change in the law, simply stating that I've driven through a red, and maybe even rolled a stop sign once or twice in my life.

Who hasn't? 

The reason you get a ticket for it is because those behaviors are inherently dangerous and potentially lethal.

Just like underage drinking.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2015, 03:31:02 PM

I don't see anyone submitting a 2B over a SM blowing though a red.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2015, 03:33:25 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 03:32:00 PM

Come on...

I get that you (and everyone else) think it's "apples and oranges". So do I.

My point is that everyone makes mistakes, especially teenagers.

Look at the numbers.

According to the CDC 12-20 year olds consume 11% of Alcohol in the US. But because of the laws, it comes and goes in waves, thus 90% is consumed in the form of Binge drinking.

4300 annual deaths are alcohol related among the group and 189,000 ER visits are directly or indirectly related to alcohol use.

A 2013 survey said that 35% drank at least some alcohol with 30 days.

Another survey reported 28% of 8th graders and 68% of 12th graders have at least tried alcohol. 10% of 8th and 39% of 12th drank within the previous month.

Even the latest studies apparently point to 25 as being the age where the judgement centers of the brain are not fully formed, and alcohol does damage to exactly that part (not just the "drunk" itself, on a biological/development level). But this country has picked (for better or worse) the age of 21 as the magical number.

But I'm more interested in the numbers, and not a policy debate.

If 35% drank within the last month, and 68% have tried it, that means that, at least in theory, 1/3 of our cadets have tasted alcohol within the last 30 days, and 7 out of 10 have tried it. So do we get rid of them?

When I was a new Senior Member, one of our college cadets came back for a visit. Before leaving the meeting, some of the older cadets (17+) who knew him well were outside talking with him, and this being around the winter break season, seemed to forget that I'm no longer a cadet, but a SM 1st Lt. Once the words were out, they realized their mistake (what was that part about judgement?). These are good cadets, good kids. All of the ones present went on to colleges, some to military flavored/academies. All are doing good in school. I told them the party line - you shouldn't do it, it's an integrity issue, it's a health issue, it's a legal issue. I also told them, that if they find themselves in that situation, to at least be safe, not over do it, and please please please do not drive, but stay the night or call someone. I think the statistics speak for themselves, and much like abstinence sex education, what sounds good in theory, just creates a problem for teens due to a lack of knowledge of the reality.

If this were an ongoing issue, which leads to behavior problems, poor grades, poor attendance, etc., this issue would need to be discussed with some serious thoughts about termination. But if it's a youthful mistake, one that hopefully won't be repeated? Why would we penalize a kid and kick them out?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 03:53:00 PM

Come on...

I understand what you're saying (and believe this incident has already been handled), but not all "mistakes" are created equal. Some mistakes have consequences that live with you for the rest of your life. We need to be teaching our youth that, so they don't learn this lesson the hard way.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 27, 2015, 04:34:40 PM

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 03:53:00 PM

Come on...

I understand what you're saying (and believe this incident has already been handled), but not all "mistakes" are created equal. Some mistakes have consequences that live with you for the rest of your life. We need to be teaching our youth that, so they don't learn this lesson the hard way.

Which, presumably, is why the teen was counseled.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2015, 03:14:28 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2015, 07:24:57 AMit appears to be a "no harm, no foul" occurrence?

Being busted for underage drinking which results in a misdemeanor conviction is hardly "no harm no foul".

It some cases it could be career-ending (or more likely "career not-starting").
He got busted. He served his sentence for an instance of bad judgement. Nobody got hurt; there was no property damage. If it's treated as a juvie offense, then it likely won't go on to haunt him. That's what I meant by "no harm no foul". We don't really know enough about the details to say more than that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nuke52

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 02:41:52 PM
This is 'Murica, with all of our modest, prudish, moral values. No.

If "'Murica's" values bother you so much, there are plenty of "progressive" utopias you can move to.  Some of them even have 57 states, maybe even 59, depending on which president is counting...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 28, 2015, 01:18:20 AM

If "'Murica's" values bother you so much, there are plenty of "progressive" utopias you can move to.  Some of them even have 57 states, maybe even 59, depending on which president is counting...

Your political spectrum is bleeding through. My way or the highway is a nice view except when most of the country doesn't agree.

Flying Pig

Where does this goofy "Murica" thing come from? 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2015, 11:23:59 AM

Meme's. Common usage now is a sarcastic positive.

jeders

As with all goofy things these days, the internet.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

In 2003 when it was used to mock rednecks and extreme patriotism. Just think of a "stereotypical" redneck and how they would say America in the phrase "if you don't like America, then get out".  It took a number of years to really catch on though. I think it became a household word in ~2010-2011. 

Flying Pig

Ive seen it around... I guess working night shift doing something useful has kept me out of the slang loop >:D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on January 28, 2015, 03:19:14 PM

In 2003 when it was used to mock rednecks and extreme patriotism. Just think of a "stereotypical" redneck and how they would say America in the phrase "if you don't like America, then get out".  It took a number of years to really catch on though. I think it became a household word in ~2010-2011.

Yep, those are the roots.

It can certainly be used at times as a "positive". As in "The US consumes the most beef per capita", and someone responds with the "original" "redneck" 'Murica! But lately, outside of the positive, it is used to mock the jingoism. 

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/murica

And some are actually quite funny:

Eclipse

I'd say Trey Parker and Matt Stone helped with "Team America: World Police".

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Also, in parts of North Carolina, they pronounce it Amurica, so I think it's been shortened. I've heard Brits use another appellation, 'merkin, not to be confused with a popular....hair product not for the head.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

I love when Brits throw around "colonist/colonial".

Nuke52

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 07:02:33 AM

Your political spectrum is bleeding through. My way or the highway is a nice view except when most of the country doesn't agree.

"Kettle, this is Pot.  You're black, over."

Most of the country doesn't agree with moral values?   :-\
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 29, 2015, 02:00:11 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 28, 2015, 07:02:33 AM

"Kettle, this is Pot.  You're black, over."

Most of the country doesn't agree with moral values?   :-\

Making my point. Grey =/= Black.