Cadet with Alcohol Misdemeanor

Started by Reacher, October 19, 2014, 12:31:58 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Got it now.

I also didn't stop to think about religious settings.  I wasn't 21 when I had my First Communion!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Not every state allows underage drinking for religious purposes. That said, I think they would have a difficult time prosecuting anyone under such law, unless they could prove neglect or abuse or some other damage caused to the minor.

JeffDG

I know where I was growing up, the law was that someone under 19 could not drink in a public place, and could only drink in a private place if provided by a parent or guardian.  That said, I enjoyed a drink with dinner from time to time at home well before my 19th birthday.

Strict prohibition almost never works, and historically, tends to make things worse.

Майор Хаткевич

Was able to buy beer at 9. You got the money, you got the goods. Legal age was 18. Loosely enforced...

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 10:18:52 PM
Was able to buy beer at 9. You got the money, you got the goods. Legal age was 18. Loosely enforced...

OK, smart-ass - where did you live when you were nine?  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I remember my one cadet encampment where we returned from our day to find a line of beer cans in the dorms -- found by the seniors during the day....

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on January 23, 2015, 10:40:59 PM

Latvia post Soviet collapse.

flyboy53

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 11:25:09 PM

You just had to ask, didn't you!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 23, 2015, 11:32:22 PM

You just had to ask, didn't you!

It wasn't any better in 2007 when I was there last time. Nor is it any better now.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 23, 2015, 09:32:02 PM
Not every state allows underage drinking for religious purposes. That said, I think they would have a difficult time prosecuting anyone under such law, unless they could prove neglect or abuse or some other damage caused to the minor.

Point taken, but I would really doubt that the police in those states would be interested in prosecuting someone under 21 going to the altar rail and taking either a small cup of wine or being communed from a common cup (we do both).

My former, now-retired pastor was a lawyer in a previous life.  I had a pretty lengthy discussion with him about it.  He said that when he would take the Sacrament into correctional institutions, he would sometimes get some grief from the officials, until he would give them a rundown on how the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment does not stop at the gates of a prison.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2015, 12:34:11 AMI had a pretty lengthy discussion with him about it.  He said that when he would take the Sacrament into correctional institutions, he would sometimes get some grief from the officials, until he would give them a rundown on how the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment does not stop at the gates of a prison.

The Rastas would probably disagree.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2015, 12:40:24 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 24, 2015, 12:34:11 AMI had a pretty lengthy discussion with him about it.  He said that when he would take the Sacrament into correctional institutions, he would sometimes get some grief from the officials, until he would give them a rundown on how the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment does not stop at the gates of a prison.

The Rastas would probably disagree.

Good point, but their sacrament is still largely illegal anyway, though that is changing.

I believe exceptions can be made for Native Americans using peyote sacramentally.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Great, I thought you were going to say Toms River, NJ.  ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 26, 2015, 01:15:30 AM

;D I used to live right next door.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2015, 05:07:27 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 26, 2015, 01:15:30 AM

;D I used to live right next door.

Dave all I can say is, "what a place!"  >:D

Cherokeepilot

I love all this willingness to forgive.  One of my reasons for rethinking CAP and its place in disaster response participation is this happy clappy willingness to overlook basic moral issues on cadets and seniors.  I especially do not happy face on when called by the authorities to pickup passed out members. 

SarDragon

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on January 27, 2015, 06:43:27 AM
I love all this willingness to forgive.  One of my reasons for rethinking CAP and its place in disaster response participation is this happy clappy willingness to overlook basic moral issues on cadets and seniors.  I especially do not happy face on when called by the authorities to pickup passed out members.
Having been on both sides of that situation when I was younger, I can see your point. However, the cadet in question has been counseled about his (apparently one time) behaviour, and has been allowed to continue participation. Is he not entitled to that, especially since it appears to be a "no harm, no foul" occurrence?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

This is 'Murica, with all of our modest, prudish, moral values. No.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2015, 07:24:57 AMit appears to be a "no harm, no foul" occurrence?

Being busted for underage drinking which results in a misdemeanor conviction is hardly "no harm no foul".

It some cases it could be career-ending (or more likely "career not-starting").

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 02:41:52 PM

Whether something should be legal, doesn't change whether things are legal.
That nuance is lost on a lot of people, including many politicians.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2015, 03:14:28 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2015, 07:24:57 AMit appears to be a "no harm, no foul" occurrence?

Being busted for underage drinking which results in a misdemeanor conviction is hardly "no harm no foul".

It some cases it could be career-ending (or more likely "career not-starting").

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 27, 2015, 02:41:52 PM

Whether something should be legal, doesn't change whether things are legal.
That nuance is lost on a lot of people, including many politicians.

I'm not arguing for the change in the law, simply stating that I've driven through a red, and maybe even rolled a stop sign once or twice in my life.