Main Menu

National Conference 2020

Started by etodd, August 05, 2020, 02:48:04 AM

etodd

Someone can correct me on the figures, but I've been told that in the past it would be about 900 or so members that attend a National Conference. The website says as of today we have 8,181 members signed up for the virtual conference.  If so, why turn back the clock next year? Keep it virtual for the benefit of thousands of members. Those who have always felt "left out" due to costs, travel/work/family issues, can now be a part of it.

Its ... The New CAP
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

baronet68

I don't see anyone trying to turn back the clock.  When it comes to virtualized events in CAP, the genie has been let out of the bottle and there will always be a virtual element to everything we do moving forward.  As for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if 2021's National Conference is virtual as well. 

My personal opinion, I don't expect the world to resemble any sense of 'normalcy' until at least Labor Day... 2021.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

SarDragon

I'm gonna be honest here. I've been to two National conferences, both local to me (San Diego, 2010, and Anaheim, 2018), and the primary emphasis of my attendance was social. I did attend seminars in the Communications track, so there was some professional development. But, I spent a significant amount of time catching up with old friends, and making new ones.

I was able to spend time with some of the movers and shakers on a personal basis, over a beverage or two. I do not see the same opportunities being available on a virtual basis. I don't think the National conference from years past is quite dead yet.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dwb

Virtual conferences have downsides, too. I commend NHQ for making the best of this year's event, but I doubt everything will be virtual from now on. Virtual CAP is fine as a temporary measure, but it is not real CAP.

What you might see going forward is more regular virtual seminars on special topics throughout the year (once they figure out the technical solution), but also an in-person conference that is maybe one day shorter.

Oh, and as anyone who has ever done virtual training will tell you, 8,181 people signed up does not mean that 8,181 people will participate in a meaningful way.

Paul Creed III

I would expect that next year's conference will have both the in-person and virtual components.

Some of the industry conferences (higher ed) I have attended in the past offered both attendance options.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Capt Thompson

I'll agree, it will be late in 2021 before we see any semblance of normalcy, and even then you will have people who won't want to venture out to large gatherings. I think any conference going forward will have to have some virtual component to it. Wings may not have the ability to pull off a hybrid conference, but surely regions and national could do this going forward. It does eliminate a lot of the social aspects of the conference, but makes the training available to a much wider audience, which benefits the whole program.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

I think, as mentioned above, we're going to see new virtual options for traditionally in-person events; or at least probably a partial virtual attendance option.

Our wing has discussed our plan to offer more virtual training courses and reduce our original intent to offer in-person training each quarter, scaling back to maybe biannual training instead. If we do that, we can add more outreach to those who are typically unable to attend.

jb3

I'm excited about the online conference because I have senior members here in South Korea that are unable to complete their PD requirements without two conferences. I'm also excited to participate myself. The times aren't overseas friendly but its better than nothing.

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on August 05, 2020, 06:05:29 AMI'm gonna be honest here. I've been to two National conferences, both local to me (San Diego, 2010, and Anaheim, 2018), and the primary emphasis of my attendance was social. I did attend seminars in the Communications track, so there was some professional development. But, I spent a significant amount of time catching up with old friends, and making new ones.

I was able to spend time with some of the movers and shakers on a personal basis, over a beverage or two. I do not see the same opportunities being available on a virtual basis. I don't think the National conference from years past is quite dead yet.

Same here with attendance in 2010 and 2018 and the appropriate Challenge Coins. Now I am always up for a conference, seminar, meeting or anything in Hawaii.

What is great about the virtual conferences like what jb3 posted; overseas members have a chance to participate as well as disabled/handicap members. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: etodd on August 05, 2020, 02:48:04 AMin the past it would be about 900 or so members that attend a National Conference. The website says as of today we have 8,181 members signed up for the virtual conference.

Just FYI but Vanguard only minted 600 Virtual Conference Challenge Coins.

Hopefully my Letter Carrier delivers mine in a proper military manner

TheSkyHornet

Coins for a virtual event...

I should have obtained a silver dollar for each instructor, I presume.

dwb

It only costs the cost of the coin to ship the coin to you. 😒

Luis R. Ramos

I have registered to attend the NHQ 2020 virtual conference, and received the acknowledgement message. However I have not received any link to attend the conference itself nor any of the individual presentations. Has anyone here received these URLs?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 13, 2020, 01:33:56 AMI have registered to attend the NHQ 2020 virtual conference, and received the acknowledgement message. However I have not received any link to attend the conference itself nor any of the individual presentations. Has anyone here received these URLs?
If you go back to the registration page, there is a sign in button. Once you sign in, click on full agenda and select your sessions. You should be able to view the sessions from your agenda at the appropriate times.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)