Is DDR taking over your squadron?

Started by jimmydeanno, February 06, 2009, 09:02:37 PM

jimmydeanno

I know, weird topic but I thought it might make for interesting discussion and possibly come up with better ways to impliment the DDR program into the Cadet Program.

Since my joining CAP in 1997, I've seen the DDR program expand from just 'benefitting' those squadrons within a 30 mile radius of an AF base to it's current configuration.  However, I'm not really fond of how it seems to be implimented the majority of the time.

Is it just a cash cow?  For many it appears to be this way.  It's the way you get junk to hand out at airshows, etc.  Heck, you can even get projectors, etc with DDR funds. 

Is it a wannabe replacement for DARE?  I don't know about you, but going through middle-school I had to sit through the DARE program - which actually gave me all of the information I know about drugs to date.  I have never been exposed to any illegal substance - ever.  If it weren't for the DARE program, I wouldn't know how to use any of this stuff, etc. 

However, I notice that increasingly DDR is becoming a program that involves lessons about drugs, etc just like DARE in a classroom, lecture environment. 

Recently, my wing's DDR officer freed up her time at a squadron and has been demanding that I schedule time for DDR in our schedule, in excess of 2 hours a month.  I'm sorry, but I honestly believe that my cadets (and I) have better things to do with 25% of our time than sit in lessons about not doing drugs. There really is only so much that you can do on that one topic before it gets burdensome.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not "anti-DDR" but I think that they way we go about it is all wrong.  In talking with an Air Force DDRO, she told me that the purpose of the DDR program is to "provide activities for youth that promote an alternative to using drugs."  I think that our Cadet Program does that in and of itself.

So, to me, it is about incorporating a drug free message into the things we do.  For example, you go and get a tour of a flight control tower.  While you're taking the tour you get the guide to talk about how you can't do drugs and be an air traffic controller. 

What do you guys do to impliment DDR?
How much time do you take to impliment it?
Do you have a cadet that is assigned as the C/DDRO or something along those lines?
Do you feel like the CAP DDR program is trying to take over the purpose of the cadet program?

Maybe I'm just venting, but I'm getting really frustrated with this program and it shouldn't be this way...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

I would tell the wing DDR to not show up.

2 hours a month is way too much.  That would be 30 minutes a week!  I would give them 30 minutes a month at the most or maybe a whole hour a quarter....but 2 hours a month is too much.

As for being a cash cow....well it it give milk I'll drink it.  Because DDR is NOT an offical part of the Cadet Program (due to it being limited by the 30 mile rule....if you are within the 30 mile rule....I don't see why you can't use a DDR session as on of your Character Development sessions.  That way you don't have to eliminate anything from your schedule.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

swamprat86

According to the manual, they have expanded the scope of the program past the 30 mile limit.  However at the last Wing eval, we were told that the DDR program is a voluntary program and the if the Wing Commander does not want or have a DDR officer, they are not required to have one.

As far as your DDR officer is concerned, if you ask any director how much time a unit should focus on that area you are probably going to get an amount of time that would be more than you think.  That is their area and they are going to be more biased to that.  I would discuss a compromise as mentioned in some of the previous replies.  If they become too adamant about it, use your chain of command to help with the issue.

notaNCO forever

My squadron has a five minute class once a month on DDR. We did something with the beer goggles once; other than that we don't do anything involving DDR. I think it's a waste of CAP's time to do much else. Cadets in school have the DARE program, so they probably already get plenty of anti drug stuff.

jeders

I have to agree that the way that DDR is being implemented these days is totally out of whack with what it does. I actually had a cadet officer tell me last week that we are now required by National that we have to schedule DDR at least 15 minutes per month. This cadet officer who joined us a few months ago was totally mistified that we don't do regular DDR classes.

To me, DDR is like CPP. It's  guide that we use to help protect and educate our cadets. DDR is something we do all the time by providing a drug free environment (CP) and is not something that needs to be a full program in and of itself.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

I wouldn't do more than 15 minutes a month of a DDR-specific activity though agree that if it can reasonable be incorporated into other activities, that is where it should be.  I agree with jimmy that the cadet program itself should more or less take care of CAP cadets, but rather think that DDR should be more of an external program. 

DC

DDR is thrown into leadership classes every once in a while at my squadron, typically because it is part of the lesson plan/script for the instructor. We don't go out of our way to have DDR classes on a regular schedule or anything like that though. We have a hard enough time scheduling in enough time for Aerospace and ES to make special time for DDR, when it's stated objective is already accomplished by the Cadet Program as it has existed since 1942. (yeah, I know the program isn't the same as it was then, but you get the point...) The nearest two bases are each about 100 miles from us, so that could be part of it, I don't know..

As others have said, there is already DARE (I had to do it in 5th Grade) to teach kids about drugs, CAP is there to teach kids about leadership, aviation, and all that..

Tim Medeiros

In my opinion, as a wing and now region level DDR person, 2 hours a month is abit much.  I do not agree that DDR is a cadet only thing though.  It effects all of our members and family members.  Our aircrews apply DDR practices every time they run through the I'M SAFE checklist and realize that the ibuprofen they took a couple hours ago will affect them in-flight, not just the pilots but the scanners and observers as well.

What do you guys do to impliment DDR?  I impliment it by providing training for DDROs and giving various classes at encampments, wing activities, conferences and unit meetings when requested/required.  Classes are a combination of interactive lecture and activities with and without Fatal Vision Goggles.
How much time do you take to impliment it? I try and limit myself to 30 minutes unless requested to go longer, or the dynamics of the interactive portion of the class take it over that time limit.
Do you have a cadet that is assigned as the C/DDRO or something along those lines?  At the wing level I have a Cadet DDRA that keeps me appraised of what the cadets like to see and get out of the DDR program, they also lead the DDR classes for the cadet conference and I often let them take the lead the classes at cadet functions.
Do you feel like the CAP DDR program is trying to take over the purpose of the cadet program?  Personally, no, as the mission/purpose of the cadet program is "to provide the youth of our nation with a quality program that enhances their leadership skills through an interest in aviation, and simultaneously provide service to the United States Air Force and the local community." (ref CAPR 52-16)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

BuckeyeDEJ

I think it's weird that part of the honor guard program is a drama element, seemingly focused on DDR. What does drama have to do with ceremonies?

Just sayin'.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

lordmonar

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 07, 2009, 03:31:39 AM
I think it's weird that part of the honor guard program is a drama element, seemingly focused on DDR. What does drama have to do with ceremonies?

Just sayin'.

How do you raise money for your honor guard?  By telling the USAF that you are going to have a drama team.... :angel:
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 06, 2009, 09:02:37 PM
Recently, my wing's DDR officer freed up her time at a squadron and has been demanding that I schedule time for DDR in our schedule, in excess of 2 hours a month. 

Wing staffers are free to suggest anything they want, until a Commander above you in your chain requires some action, you are free to disregard that suggestion.

Be polilte and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

ThorntonOL

Currently my unit has scheduled six half hour sessions in our 2nd and 3rd schedule cycle this year which is fine with me as I'm getting the traing during the first cycle.
The main funding as I understand it goes to those units in the thirty mile radius whats left is split between those that remain. (Don't know for sure so please don't quote me, I could be wrong.)
The most I would need from the DDR catalog is one pair of the Fatal Vision Goggles.
I know not everyone likes the program, but it does give that extra push NOT to do drugs as DARE is currently still a MIDDLE school program, I don't believe there is anything for high school students, as such I am willing to teach or in our case lead the students in a discussion on it.
I do plan on using the lesson plans though.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 07, 2009, 03:31:39 AM

Just sayin'.
It has something to do with the national DDR honcho is also the National Honor Guard Academy honcho.  Get the picture?

spaatzmom

Actually, the drama element was added at the request of the cadets.  DDR was also a sponsored task of the Air Force.  When trying to incorporate this task in an effective way to the community at large, the cadets who attended the initial Honor Guard Academy for MDWG were involved with community theater.  They felt it was a unique way to portray the goal to youngsters in their areas; ie; schools, churches, libraries, etc.  It has been embraced by the NHGA and its cadets each year since then. 

BuckeyeDEJ

(Don LaFontaine voice) In a worrrrld where teens use illegal drugs...

(CAP cadet 1) Hey, wanna hit?

(CAP cadet 2) Nah, I don't do drugs. Instead, I do... interpretive dance!

(announcer) It's the new show that has everyone on the edges of their seats...

"HONOR GUARD CADETS SAY DON'T DO DRUGS!"

(CAP cadet 2) I tell everyone not to do drugs because drugs damage people's lives. And on top of that, I get to carry a flag or a rifle. Or maybe it's the other way around. I'm not sure.

(CAP cadet 1) And I'm not really a drug user. I just play one in the movie. Here's my honor guard hat -- wanna hold it while I put this syringe back in the bag?

(announcer) A DDR production. At a theater near you. Maybe. One of these years. Rated PG-13 for putting ideas in children's heads.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

BGNightfall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on February 07, 2009, 02:52:36 PM
(Don LaFontaine voice) In a worrrrld where teens use illegal drugs...

(CAP cadet 1) Hey, wanna hit?

(CAP cadet 2) Nah, I don't do drugs. Instead, I do... interpretive dance!

(announcer) It's the new show that has everyone on the edges of their seats...

"HONOR GUARD CADETS SAY DON'T DO DRUGS!"

(CAP cadet 2) I tell everyone not to do drugs because drugs damage people's lives. And on top of that, I get to carry a flag or a rifle. Or maybe it's the other way around. I'm not sure.

(CAP cadet 1) And I'm not really a drug user. I just play one in the movie. Here's my honor guard hat -- wanna hold it while I put this syringe back in the bag?

(announcer) A DDR production. At a theater near you. Maybe. One of these years. Rated PG-13 for putting ideas in children's heads.

Any more I think "Rated NC-17 for depiction of military uniforms" would be more likely.

My favorite reason for a rating is "... For Sci-Fi action and adventure!"

Gunner C

Quote from: spaatzmom on February 07, 2009, 02:02:32 PM
Actually, the drama element was added at the request of the cadets.  DDR was also a sponsored task of the Air Force.  When trying to incorporate this task in an effective way to the community at large, the cadets who attended the initial Honor Guard Academy for MDWG were involved with community theater.  They felt it was a unique way to portray the goal to youngsters in their areas; ie; schools, churches, libraries, etc.  It has been embraced by the NHGA and its cadets each year since then. 
That's pretty much what I said.  The national DDR is the former MER DDR and the project officer of NHGA and a former member of MDWG.  It's being promulgated by her.  If the cadets wanted it and she didn't, it wouldn't be there.

This has become a mission unto itself, rather than supporting CAP's three missions.

BuckeyeDEJ

I can see DDR standing alone as a function within the existing framework. It doesn't totally fit under the chaplaincy, nor does it fit totally under the medical folks, nor totally under the cadet program.

But to carry out DDR as though it's a fourth leg on the CAP barstool is a mistake. We have three main missions, though arguably direct Air Force support -- a mission we don't contribute to as well as our brethren over at CGAux -- is a fourth. DDR, however, is not a mission. It should support the existing missions, not overshadow them or creep into other functions (honor guard, D&C, etc.).

John Bryan

Since the Air Force DDR program is under the leadership of the Surgeon General of the Air Force and it is that office which gives CAP our DDR funding and support, i would think we would place it under our Health Services section.

TEAM SURGE

At our squadron we do DDR. We take about 30 minutes and talk about drugs. We brought in a drug sniffing dog, from the Sherriffs Department. That was fun. DDR is important.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"