RECRUITING

Started by TEAM SURGE, June 23, 2008, 08:33:08 AM

DC

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 04:09:12 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on July 07, 2008, 12:00:19 AM
There are a lot of homeshcool kids in CAP I am finding lately I dont persoanlly believe in homeschooling but its a good recource to recruit cadets

Personnally I do not agree with it easier. It makes the program really easy for those cadets.(Home schooled) to progress through the program. I mean they can mix their CAP study with the rest of their studying.
The program is no easier for them, the flexibility homeschooling affords may make it more convienient for them to participate, but not any easier.

I am a homeschooled student, and I still find it hard sometimes to find the time to keep up with school, my CAP commitments and my family. I take just as many courses as any other highschool student, work just as hard, and face similar time management challenges, I just have more flexibility in how I can schedule things, so I can work CAP into my day.

Please do not speak when you do not have the experience to back it up.

CALM DOWN!

Not a big deal, my opinion!
I am not uncalm, I was merely stating that when you are going to make a statement you might want to have some experience.

The social issues are a serious concern, and if someone is homeschooled their whole life then there might be a problem, however I think that is more the fault of the parent than anything, there are plenty of ways other than school for kids and teens especially to socialize.

With that, this topic is about recruiting, not to debate the benefits of home education.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 08, 2008, 01:47:39 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 06:45:13 PM
I can see that being an issue. There are different programs out there though. The program I am involved in is basically internet based distance learning, I am provided with all course material and set assignments, and I have to complete those assignments at a given pace. If I have a question I can call my instructor, who is a real life teacher. They grade all of my work and issue a grade based on my performance. So I do not have to fall back on a parent (my mother has a Master's Degree, but she is not a math whiz....) or just sit and flounder if I do not understand something.

But, different programs, different laws in each state, I understand the lack of credibility some see in homeschooling...

Almost every kid that is home schooled that I know, has serious social skills. I mean they either talk to much, and act really awkward around older people, or they are really quite and do not talk unless being addressed, and even then they reply with a word or a sentence. We have to kids on our football team, not home schooled anymore. They are twins. When they came to our school they were shy and never talked at all nor did they really react to anything. Now they are normal. They reply and act in ways that are decent. Those two changed a lot.

This has to do with recruiting.....how??   :-*

I know! haha
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Thanks to everybodys responses! I have discussed this all with the cadets, and senior members. We are holding a big raffle. We are also having a big open house in September. Where we will be demonstrating drill rocketry, and even giving out hair cuts. :) Also we will be hanging up posters in various places.

C/Tsgt. Messman
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

stkgc

i like to join i am 33 and with no drivers licence not yet like to know if there is any weight or disabilities . like to join and meet new Friends and i am in goose creek SC

DC

Quote from: stkgc on December 06, 2008, 11:55:58 PM
i like to join i am 33 and with no drivers licence not yet like to know if there is any weight or disabilities . like to join and meet new Friends and i am in goose creek SC
I would encourage you to check out this website - http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com

There is a unit locator that will help you locate and contact your local squadron. The members there should be able to answer any questions you have.

helper

Quote from: stkgc on December 06, 2008, 11:55:58 PM

There is an active squadron near you, it meets at: Charleston AFB Aero Club (near FAA Tower)
Web site: http://www.scwg.cap.gov/charleston

Good luck
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

major pain

Everyone that has responded has touched on some great subjects! QUESTION OF RECUTING is NOT I repeat NOT a question of recruiting, it one of retention.. As a former commander and senior wing staff director I can tell you that if you have a strong program and everyone has a place and a job in the unit then bringing new people in will be a breeze. A strong core program when you have a visitor / potential member if they see cohesion and a structured and want to be a part of it.

You want to make sure that there is always something for your new member to do, training schedules, achievements and most of all O flights for cadets. Small little piece f statistics, if you can get a new cadet in an O ride in the first 2 months of membership you will retain them on the average of 2.5 years, get them their first stripe in that first and an o flight you will keep them no shorter than an average of 4 years.  I have proven this theory in more than one successful squadron.

In short, Make the programs work.... Retain your members you will grow!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

addo1

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 07, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
^ what I have noticed, is that the home schooled student seriously lacks in areas that the parent is not very strong in.  Like, the parent (instructor) is awesome at math and the student can ace trig tests in 6th grade, but because the parent (instructor) has not mastered basic reading and English skills, the kid sucks and reads at a 5th grade level when they are 20 years old. 

That is a very serious concern, and more school districts are not so quick to award credit for homeschooling work. 

I can say truthfully that in MOST cases, this is not true. If a homeschooling parent knows that he/she lacks the knowledge, they will become part of a Co-op of the likes where there are many parents from many backgrounds. I am speaking from 13 years of homeschooling experience. Many times, parents buy videos that teach the subject in depth if they feel that they can not teach it themself, while they help them along as they can. I am a recruiter who is closing in on 30 recruits around my wing. Almost all of these are homeschoolers.  I have seen and dealt with both homeschoolers and students in the public school system. The difference is unbelievable. When doing activities, you can tell the difference. Homeschoolers tend to be more respectful, more courteous, and willing to work harder than most public schoolers. When I see cadets take tests, almost always the higher scores come from homeschoolers. I am not saying this because I am a former homeschooler, but from watching and working with both.  I would pick a homeschooler to recruit any day, not discriminate against them. Just my $0.02.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Gunner C

Quote from: addo1 on December 08, 2008, 08:15:06 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on July 07, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
^ what I have noticed, is that the home schooled student seriously lacks in areas that the parent is not very strong in.  Like, the parent (instructor) is awesome at math and the student can ace trig tests in 6th grade, but because the parent (instructor) has not mastered basic reading and English skills, the kid sucks and reads at a 5th grade level when they are 20 years old. 

That is a very serious concern, and more school districts are not so quick to award credit for homeschooling work. 

I can say truthfully that in MOST cases, this is not true. If a homeschooling parent knows that he/she lacks the knowledge, they will become part of a Co-op of the likes where there are many parents from many backgrounds. I am speaking from 13 years of homeschooling experience. Many times, parents buy videos that teach the subject in depth if they feel that they can not teach it themself, while they help them along as they can. I am a recruiter who is closing in on 30 recruits around my wing. Almost all of these are homeschoolers.  I have seen and dealt with both homeschoolers and students in the public school system. The difference is unbelievable. When doing activities, you can tell the difference. Homeschoolers tend to be more respectful, more courteous, and willing to work harder than most public schoolers. When I see cadets take tests, almost always the higher scores come from homeschoolers. I am not saying this because I am a former homeschooler, but from watching and working with both.  I would pick a homeschooler to recruit any day, not discriminate against them. Just my $0.02.
I'd have to agree with Addo.  The home schoolers I come in contact with are

• More mature
  • More serious
  • More courteous
  • Better educated

I used to agree with Mikey a few years ago, but after my experience with about 10 families and the crappy education that my son got in public school, I'm sold on home schoolers - Not to say that there's not some schlunks out there.

Gunner

stkgc

thanks for the web site it will help thanks again

miss.aviator.girl

[/quote]I'd have to agree with Addo.  The home schoolers I come in contact with are

• More mature
  • More serious
  • More courteous
  • Better educated

So true. So true.

Майор Хаткевич

And as with everything else, I've had the opposite experience.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 15, 2013, 01:30:25 AM

+1 - I've seen a lot of socialization issues, and trouble understanding the world does not revolve around, nor particularly care about "me".
When you are the sole focus of attention and then are exposed to group dynamics of the real world, that can be a system shock at a minimum.

Likely people who are vocal advocates are also doing it "right", or at least trying.  Just as we can point to anecdotal success, we can also point to anecdotal
failure, such as kids I've seen with behavior issues (exacerbated by the parents), who are kept home and just watch TV all day.  Obviously these kids are not likely
to be interested in, not successful in CAP.

Not true for all, obviously, but like anything else, the problems tend to bubble to the top and get a lot of visibility.

There's also a tendency for those involved in home schooling to try and paint a trend.  If it works for you, great, but not even by a long shot is it a trend
or increasing tendency in the US, certainly not in urban areas.

"That Others May Zoom"

miss.aviator.girl

I'm homeschooled and  I wasn't really recruited by a person. I saw an article in, believe it or not, American Girl magazine about a girl who joined CAP. (For the record, I do not regularly read that magazine.) Then I did some research, visited a local squadron, and joined. I got my dad to join as a senior member, too. There is, like, one other homeschooler in our squadron.

TJT__98

As far as social problems go, I say it's not homeschool versus public school but the fact that no two people are alike.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: TJT__98 on March 15, 2013, 02:02:05 AM
As far as social problems go, I say it's not homeschool versus public school but the fact that no two people are alike.

That just made about as much sense as it didn't...

TJT__98

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 15, 2013, 03:34:20 AM
Quote from: TJT__98 on March 15, 2013, 02:02:05 AM

That just made about as much sense as it didn't...
Now that I read it again... It made more sense in my head. I am no good with words, I was sort of responding to Eclipse as I may have misunderstood what he was saying
Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2013, 01:41:18 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 15, 2013, 01:30:25 AM

+1 - I've seen a lot of socialization issues, and trouble understanding the world does not revolve around, nor particularly care about "me".
When you are the sole focus of attention and then are exposed to group dynamics of the real world, that can be a system shock at a minimum.

Looking at this again I am not sure if this was intended to mean that Eclipse has met a lot of people in general with this problem or if he meant he had met a lot of homeschoolers with this problem. I was just trying to point out that while homeschoolers have this problem in some cases, so do some public schoolers.
On a different note, it's always embarrassing to say what you think and then realize it doesn't make any sense  :P
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Spartan

Quote from: Gunner C on December 09, 2008, 09:58:05 AM
I'd have to agree with Addo.  The home schoolers I come in contact with are

• More mature
  • More serious
  • More courteous
  • Better educated

My experience with home schooled children has been on both ends of the extreme.  My best and worst cadets have come from home school programs.  I have had mature, professional, intelligent and capible cadets and I have had cadets who were very poorly socialized, emotionally immature, and significantly behind their peers educational level come out of home school environments.  I have run into these extremes from public school children as well, but the extreme ends of the spectrum seems to appear more with home schooled children.

As for recruiting in general, I am curious how many recruiting teams conduct AAR's after a recruiting event?