RECRUITING

Started by TEAM SURGE, June 23, 2008, 08:33:08 AM

RiverAux

In some cities there are annual homeschool "conventions" of one type or another.  Mostly for the parents, but setting up a booth at one of them might work.  Its been something I've meant to do, but haven't had a chance to try yet. 

flyguy06

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 24, 2008, 07:51:20 PM
Quote from: hatentx on June 24, 2008, 02:08:55 AM
steal them from the cops then.  lol

GOOD IDEA?

Dont look at it as stealing. Thats not what it is at all. These explorr scouts may not have heard anything about CAP and you are just introducing them to it. When I was a cadet I was also in JROTC and a Boy Scout. i did all three at the same time and it was no problem.

YOu arent a recruitre like a military recruiter. stop thinking in terms like that. Just sell CAP to young people no matter what other organization they are in. WHo knows? You may peak their interest in something they never knew about. Give Them the chance to make the decision to join CAP and leave the cops. Dont you make the decision for them

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on July 06, 2008, 03:13:18 PM
In some cities there are annual homeschool "conventions" of one type or another.  Mostly for the parents, but setting up a booth at one of them might work.  Its been something I've meant to do, but haven't had a chance to try yet. 
There isn't in my area, but I know CAP does recruit at the convention held in a nearby large city... Too far for us to effectively get anyone from there though.

RickFranz

Quote from: DC on July 06, 2008, 05:55:45 PM
There isn't in my area, but I know CAP does recruit at the convention held in a nearby large city... Too far for us to effectively get anyone from there though.
You might be surprised.  We got one cadet from a home school convention that was held 95 miles south of us, that one cadet ended up equaling out to be 9 new members.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

flyguy06

There are a lot of homeshcool kids in CAP I am finding lately I dont persoanlly believe in homeschooling but its a good recource to recruit cadets

SJFedor

they do one in nashville....twice a year i think. Always draws some cadets for most of the units in Middle TN, since there's people from all over the place there.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: hatentx on July 06, 2008, 10:23:35 AM
hey give us some feed back as well with what worked, what didn't and how we can all tweek our programs as well

I will do that. I will also fill you in on what they say on Tuesday(next meeting)
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 07, 2008, 12:00:19 AM
There are a lot of homeshcool kids in CAP I am finding lately I dont persoanlly believe in homeschooling but its a good recource to recruit cadets

Personnally I do not agree with it easier. It makes the program really easy for those cadets.(Home schooled) to progress through the program. I mean they can mix their CAP study with the rest of their studying.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

CadetProgramGuy

Alot of homeschooling parents use CAP for school credit.  Think about it.  PT is Gym, AE is science....ect.

mikeylikey

^ I have many Cadets that are currently in a homeschooling program, and use CAP for "social activity" or outside the home activities for their required coursework.  In fact, most came into my unit through the same local Home School group that meets once a week.

What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 04:09:12 AM

Personnally I do not agree with it easier. It makes the program really easy for those cadets.(Home schooled) to progress through the program. I mean they can mix their CAP study with the rest of their studying.
The program is no easier for them, the flexibility homeschooling affords may make it more convienient for them to participate, but not any easier.

I am a homeschooled student, and I still find it hard sometimes to find the time to keep up with school, my CAP commitments and my family. I take just as many courses as any other highschool student, work just as hard, and face similar time management challenges, I just have more flexibility in how I can schedule things, so I can work CAP into my day.

Please do not speak when you do not have the experience to back it up.

mikeylikey

^ what I have noticed, is that the home schooled student seriously lacks in areas that the parent is not very strong in.  Like, the parent (instructor) is awesome at math and the student can ace trig tests in 6th grade, but because the parent (instructor) has not mastered basic reading and English skills, the kid sucks and reads at a 5th grade level when they are 20 years old. 

That is a very serious concern, and more school districts are not so quick to award credit for homeschooling work. 
What's up monkeys?

DC

I can see that being an issue. There are different programs out there though. The program I am involved in is basically internet based distance learning, I am provided with all course material and set assignments, and I have to complete those assignments at a given pace. If I have a question I can call my instructor, who is a real life teacher. They grade all of my work and issue a grade based on my performance. So I do not have to fall back on a parent (my mother has a Master's Degree, but she is not a math whiz....) or just sit and flounder if I do not understand something.

But, different programs, different laws in each state, I understand the lack of credibility some see in homeschooling...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 07, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
^ what I have noticed, is that the home schooled student seriously lacks in areas that the parent is not very strong in.  Like, the parent (instructor) is awesome at math and the student can ace trig tests in 6th grade, but because the parent (instructor) has not mastered basic reading and English skills, the kid sucks and reads at a 5th grade level when they are 20 years old. 

That is a very serious concern, and more school districts are not so quick to award credit for homeschooling work. 

That's better than the public school kid sucking in both English AND Math... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 04:09:12 AM

The program is no easier for them, the flexibility homeschooling affords may make it more convienient for them to participate, but not any easier.

I am a homeschooled student, and I still find it hard sometimes to find the time to keep up with school, my CAP commitments and my family. I take just as many courses as any other highschool student, work just as hard, and face similar time management challenges, I just have more flexibility in how I can schedule things, so I can work CAP into my day.

Please do not speak when you do not have the experience to back it up.

CALM DOWN!

Not a big deal, my opinion!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

This has to do with recruiting how?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 07, 2008, 07:15:42 PM

That's better than the public school kid sucking in both English AND Math... >:D

This has to do with recruiting how? ???
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 06:45:13 PM
I can see that being an issue. There are different programs out there though. The program I am involved in is basically internet based distance learning, I am provided with all course material and set assignments, and I have to complete those assignments at a given pace. If I have a question I can call my instructor, who is a real life teacher. They grade all of my work and issue a grade based on my performance. So I do not have to fall back on a parent (my mother has a Master's Degree, but she is not a math whiz....) or just sit and flounder if I do not understand something.

But, different programs, different laws in each state, I understand the lack of credibility some see in homeschooling...

Almost every kid that is home schooled that I know, has serious social skills. I mean they either talk to much, and act really awkward around older people, or they are really quite and do not talk unless being addressed, and even then they reply with a word or a sentence. We have to kids on our football team, not home schooled anymore. They are twins. When they came to our school they were shy and never talked at all nor did they really react to anything. Now they are normal. They reply and act in ways that are decent. Those two changed a lot.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

mikeylikey

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on July 07, 2008, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: DC on July 07, 2008, 06:45:13 PM

Almost every kid that is home schooled that I know, has serious social skills. I mean they either talk to much, and act really awkward around older people, or they are really quite and do not talk unless being addressed, and even then they reply with a word or a sentence. We have to kids on our football team, not home schooled anymore. They are twins. When they came to our school they were shy and never talked at all nor did they really react to anything. Now they are normal. They reply and act in ways that are decent. Those two changed a lot.

This has to do with recruiting.....how??   :-*
What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

I dont mean to steal the topic, but my reasons for notliking homeschoool programs are not academic but social, but this isnt a homeschool message board so I wont go there. PM me if you want to know why