ADHD and ADD

Started by DC, May 14, 2008, 02:09:29 AM

mikeylikey

I for one don't agree with lumping obesity into CAT 2 TEMP Restrictions. 

I don't have it anymore, but did the old PT booklet specifically outline that in order to receive a milestone award (Mitchell etc) you had to pass the PT test.  And for those that were medically incapable of passing the test due to being in a category, it was just TOO BAD??  I seem to recall that.  It has been like 12 years though since I read it. 

As far as letting the fat kids "Category out" of doing PT....thats just promoting their condition.  If they are fearful they will bust a knee on the mile run (1 mile), then they can walk it.  If they are afraid of getting a hernia from doing the sit-up, then they can sit in the up position while everyone else does the event.  If they are afraid of pulling a back muscle doing the sit and reach, they can just sit there.  If they are afraid of breaking a sweat doing push-ups then they can just stay in the up position while everyone else completes the event (or let their stomachs hold them up).

Trust me, the FAT Kids do more physically to get and eat candy, cakes and cookies during the day than is generally known.  Walking to the refrigerator (although tiring at times) is physical exercises, and I can't accept that they can't walk one mile. 

Nothing makes me more upset than a Fat person saying how their weight effects (affects) their daily life, but they have no plan on how to correct it. 

How about....wake up an hour earlier, and go for a walk.  OR during your lunch break eat your Big Mac while walking around the office.  OR go see a nutritionist and get on a diet. 

I have nothing against FAT people.  My family is fat.  I was hugely FAT.  I work hard at making sure I don't get that way again.  Sometimes I slip up, and gain 5 pounds because I get lazy, but I get back into action and lose the weight. 

I am so very accommodating to my FAT Soldiers, because I know how very difficult it is to lose the weight.  I will provide them with the coaching they need to lose the weight, but it is up to them to carry out the plan.  I usually give them 6 months to get down to an agreeable weight (in accordance with Army regs and MD's opinion).  It may not be the Army's allowable weight, but we then work on a new plan to lose even more weight.  However, I will be the first person to flag a soldier and get him or her discharged if they fail at the plan. 

Sorry for the rant, but I just have a very strong opinion about obesity in this country. 

Back to ADD/ADHD......

I say as long as they don't cause any more disruption than any other Cadet, there is no issue here.  However, I am no specially trained ADD/ADHD counselor or teacher, I have no guidance to give them in dealing with their condition, and will be the first person to confront the parents, and see if the parents can correct any issues. 
What's up monkeys?

bricktonfire

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 15, 2008, 05:07:22 AM

I don't have it anymore, but did the old PT booklet specifically outline that in order to receive a milestone award (Mitchell etc) you had to pass the PT test.  And for those that were medically incapable of passing the test due to being in a category, it was just TOO BAD??  I seem to recall that.  It has been like 12 years though since I read it. 

As far as letting the fat kids "Category out" of doing PT....thats just promoting their condition.  If they are fearful they will bust a knee on the mile run (1 mile), then they can walk it.  If they are afraid of getting a hernia from doing the sit-up, then they can sit in the up position while everyone else does the event.  If they are afraid of pulling a back muscle doing the sit and reach, they can just sit there.  If they are afraid of breaking a sweat doing push-ups then they can just stay in the up position while everyone else completes the event (or let their stomachs hold them up).

Trust me, the FAT Kids do more physically to get and eat candy, cakes and cookies during the day than is generally known.  Walking to the refrigerator (although tiring at times) is physical exercises, and I can't accept that they can't walk one mile. 

Nothing makes me more upset than a Fat person saying how their weight effects (affects) their daily life, but they have no plan on how to correct it. 

How about....wake up an hour earlier, and go for a walk.  OR during your lunch break eat your Big Mac while walking around the office.  OR go see a nutritionist and get on a diet. 

I have nothing against FAT people.  My family is fat.  I was hugely FAT.  I work hard at making sure I don't get that way again.  Sometimes I slip up, and gain 5 pounds because I get lazy, but I get back into action and lose the weight. 

I am so very accommodating to my FAT Soldiers, because I know how very difficult it is to lose the weight.  I will provide them with the coaching they need to lose the weight, but it is up to them to carry out the plan.  I usually give them 6 months to get down to an agreeable weight (in accordance with Army regs and MD's opinion).  It may not be the Army's allowable weight, but we then work on a new plan to lose even more weight.  However, I will be the first person to flag a soldier and get him or her discharged if they fail at the plan. 

Sorry for the rant, but I just have a very strong opinion about obesity in this country. 

Back to ADD/ADHD......

I say as long as they don't cause any more disruption than any other Cadet, there is no issue here.  However, I am no specially trained ADD/ADHD counselor or teacher, I have no guidance to give them in dealing with their condition, and will be the first person to confront the parents, and see if the parents can correct any issues. 

why would you say things like that.  yea u have noting against fat people i find the fact that you said that fat people can still do the things that their 180 pound counterpart can do. i find the way you worded your post to be Mean to people who are fat. i understand your point that you have noting against fat people. me being fat make my life a live hell but that does not stop me from doing things in CAP so what that that they are obesity , i weight 220 pounds sand have trouble doing to mile run but i still do it my best time was 8:20 or around their. i to have ADHD but don't take meds. my mom who is a nurse is against give med to kid Like ADHD Meds i sorry i can't run a 6 min. mile like the other kid in my sqdn sorry that a can't get past A1C because i can past my PT test. i missed encampment because i could not make it to SSGT so what if i can do it i still find thing i can do like making powerpoint for GK or use the radio or flying i' sixteen and can't do was my 180 pound counter part can do

Thank Cody

PS Having ADHD does not stop me from have fun

capchiro

Cody, I am sure that Mikey did not mean to be mean.  A lot of people don't understand obesity and the differing causes of obesity.  Not all obesity is a just a matter of having a stronger will power.  Mikey says he used to be fat and a lot of people that have overcome a personal hardship become intolerant of others in a like predicament.  Medicine certainly doesn't have the answers to obesity or they wouldn't resort to life threatening surgery to overcome morbid obesity.  I appreciate what your mother is trying to do in keeping you off of medication if at all possible.  She is in the medical field and has seen the side-effects of medication and over-medication.  Interestingly, a possible side-effect of Ritalin is hyperactivity.  Go figure.  I do think we have over diagnosed a lot of children today with ADHD and ADD when they used to be considered 100% boys or girls.  It is a child's job to be active and inattentive.  That is how they learn.  Due to Spock's book on no corporal punishment and the intervention of social services into family matters, a highly spirited youngster that at one time would have calmed down by a little rear-end warming is now called ADHD and ADD and given medication to break his/her spirit.  I apologise for Mikey's seemingly mean comments and ask that you and others reading this not take them personal.  Just keep on keeping on and stay with the program, we are glad and proud to have you.  By the time you are Mikey's age, you might weigh 175 pounds and then again you might not.  Worth is not determined by skinniness.  I dare say that Schwartzkopf may have been close to being over the weight limits and may have had a hard time doing a six minute mile, but he was a great leader and his men loved him.     
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

bricktonfire

Quote from: capchiro on May 15, 2008, 01:13:18 PM
.  I dare say that Schwartzkopf may have been close to being over the weight limits and may have had a hard time doing a six minute mile, but he was a great leader and his men loved him.     
he was a great leader just like i hope that someday i will too to people under my command or furter cadet and hope to god that when i do join the AirForce as a Sertitly forces i will be able to do a six min. mile and i sorry to i toke out my fastion on Mikey and hope that he not upset with me and sorry to captalk too

mikeylikey

^ Never upset.  Sorry if what I wrote upset you. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: lilred36781 on May 15, 2008, 12:26:13 PMi missed encampment because i could not make it to SSGT 

Why would you miss encampment based on your grade?

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Like I said, temporary profile (6mo) so they can get the weight off safely rather than try to make a test the next month & end up on jacked knees & stress fractures that become long-term limitations.

Far as being mean about fat kids, get over it. I'm sorry you got problems with your weight, be they genetic or behavioral. Workout hard & overcome it. That's part of what the program is teaching is to face hard things & become a better person by overcoming that adversity thru hard work & tenacity. I can promise you I HATE with a freakin passion PT. More than anything I HATE running & I'm bad at it. It's a struggle for me to maintain the standard required of me by the Army, but I do it. I don't like it & I don't want to, but I endure the pain, sweat, & near heart attacks to keep at that standard. Being able to run at that speed doesn't make me a better soldier. Facing that thing I hate & staying ahead of that thing I'm bad at, those things make me a better person.

That's the standard, and there's no excuse for not meeting it. If any cadet can't get that done in a reasonable timeframe, then they are failing to progress & don't belong in the program. They should be counseled & given the opportunity to correct their behavior, but eventually shown the door if they aren't willing to man up.

bricktonfire

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2008, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: lilred36781 on May 15, 2008, 12:26:13 PMi missed encampment because i could not make it to SSGT 

because i try to make it to staff

DC

Quote from: lilred36781 on May 15, 2008, 10:54:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2008, 09:54:45 PM

because i try to make it to staff
So you have done a doolie encampment?

Also, is there a medical reason you are obese, or is just a poor diet, lack of exercise type thing? I am also severely overweight, but, I'm eating less and exercising more, and lo and behold, I'm starting to lose weight.

If it is a valid medical issue you might consider getting a medical waiver for the parts of the CPFT you cannot do, namely the run.

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on May 16, 2008, 02:40:04 AMSo have done a doolie basic encampment?

How about if we stop perpetuating this silly term in regards to basics cadets at a CAP encampment?

The only remote connection is its use for a first-year freshman at the USAFA.  Since a basic encampment is nothing remotely analogous to the USAFA, its just silly.

Tags - MIKE

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2008, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: DC on May 16, 2008, 02:40:04 AM
So have done a doolie basic encampment?

How about if we stop perpetuating this silly term in regards to basics cadets at a CAP encampment?

The only remote connection is its use for a first-year freshman at the USAFA.  Since a basic encampment is nothing remotely analogous to the USAFA, its just silly.
Please forgive me for using a term that is in wide spread use. And what does your personal preference have to do with dealing with cadets with ADHD, or at this point, obesity. Seriously, can we get through one thread without people getting flamed for using a common term that one person doesn't like, or, dare I say it, merely mentioning uniform accoutriements. Is a civilized, mature discussion that difficult to achieve?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

flyerthom

Also, is there a medical reason you are obese, or is just a poor diet, lack of exercise type thing? I am also severely overweight, but, I'm eating less and exercising more, and lo and behold, I'm starting to lose weight.

If it is a valid medical issue you might consider getting a medical waiver for the parts of the CPFT you cannot do, namely the run.

Are you sure you lost it? I think I found some of it  :(      >:D

How about captalk starts this program. Lead by example:

President's Challenge

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/group_admin/start_group.aspx
TC

mikeylikey

^ All you have to do is eat less calories than you burn.  Search Google for "calorie calculator" and "food calorie content".  It is not rocket science, although some here would have you believe it is.

As far as obesity being a medical condition, it still is a result of eating too many calories and not burning enough. 

I hate it when people say "I'm fat because of a medical condition.  NO......your FAT because you continue to eat too much food.  There is NO medical condition that magically makes you fat, you have to eat food which turns into fat.  If you have a condition which may make you more susceptible to being fat, STOP EATING.  Go on a low calorie intake plan with a doctors guidance, and I guarantee you will lose weight. 
What's up monkeys?

DC

Quote from: flyerthom on May 16, 2008, 04:14:08 PM

Are you sure you lost it? I think I found some of it  :(      >:D

How about captalk starts this program. Lead by example:

President's Challenge

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/group_admin/start_group.aspx
LOL.

CAP cadets are encouraged to participate in the President's Challenge, both individually and to shoot for the group awards. See page 29 of CAPP 52-18.

cap801

Is this thread about fat kids or ADHD?  I'm confused...

I've actually never met an ADHD kid that was fat...all that energy I suppose.

mikeylikey

^  Sorry it is about ADD/ADHD. 

I just watched a program on ADHD and ADD on the Discovery Health Channel (yeah, I'm a DORK).  There was one woman on there that said ADD and ADHD was invented by the pharmaceutical industry to push drugs.  It was a very compelling rant she had.  I can see where some Doctors may be pushing ADD/ADHD when presented by a few characteristics of the disease, but in reality the child does not even have it.  They also said that once on the drugs to help with ADD/ADHD, it actually makes the disease worse if the child should be taken off the meds, and will create the disease in the child if the child did not have it to begin with. 

At the end one guy said that these problems are actually a result of the parents taking drugs before having the kid.  Either illegal drugs or even aspirin and Tylenol can lead to changes in the undeveloped baby.  (I am not sure if I believed that or not)

What's up monkeys?

Walkman

Late to the party...

I have two boys with ADHD, one is a c/A1C right now. We're working on both being off meds (Adderal XR) at the moment. They have some good days and some bad days.

Here's what going on in the ADHD brain. There is actually a lack of seratonin in the brain (that's why all the meds are stimulants) and the mind jumps from place to place to find seratonin. It also engages in "stim" activity, trying to increase those levels. When you see ADHD kids fidgiting, you're seeing them "stim".

One thing you can do is help the cadet find less noticeable stim routines while in formation. I have a habit of stimming by tapping my thumb to the pads of my finger joints in different patterns. He could do something like this while at attention.

I'm going to echo those that mentioned the structure and regimen of the cadet program helping them. Since I was ADD before they had a word for it, I never took any meds (school would have dramatically different if they had understood me the way they are understanding kids with it now...) and I've learned to train myself over the years to overcome the effects. If you keep him in and are patient with him, CAP might be the thing that makes a hug difference in his success later in life by giving him the mental training he needs.

bricktonfire

Quote from: jayburns22 on May 17, 2008, 08:28:12 PM
Is this thread about fat kids or ADHD?  I'm confused...

I've actually never met an ADHD kid that was fat...all that energy I suppose.
i weight 220 and have ADHD or i did have i think it the meads the make a kid have to much energy and yes you have never met me i both fat and have ADHD

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2008, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: DC on May 16, 2008, 02:40:04 AMSo have done a doolie basic encampment?

Tags - MIKE
:clap: