PT Test

Started by TheGooseLover, October 15, 2015, 08:33:49 PM

TheGooseLover

I am a C/SrA and have passed PT for SSgt. That means my next will be harder. I have no issues with push-ups or sit-ups, I get 50 Push-ups and 65 sit-ups average, but I can't run a mile for my life. I have mild asthma but it gets bad when I get a high heart rate, exp. running. I don't want to wimp out and ask to waive my pt, any suggestions?

And no, I'm not out of shape, I just need ideas on getting passed my asthma
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

TheGooseLover

Apologize to the moderators for identical posts, I thought one didn't go through and wrote another. Feel free to delete one, preferably the other one, thanks!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

arajca

Talk with your doctor. They'll have proper information for you. If they say no mile, then get a letter from them saying so. Having a Category 3 waiver (permanent partial waiver) will not impede you passing your Spaatz.

PS you only need to post the same question once.

TheGooseLover

Thank you for the information! And yes, I apologize, that was a accident on my part.
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

cnitas

First, talk to your Doctor, and make sure it is ok for you to be running.  Everyone's case is different. 

There are websites and lots of information out on the web about running with asthma.

A couple links:
http://www.geekfitness.net/running-with-asthma/

This is a good site about running that also has articles about running with asthma. 
http://www.runnersworld.com/

That said, my daughter also has asthma, and runs.  You have to start slow and easy...and build up over a long time.  I run with her and it took her 2x as long to build up the lung capacity as I did (I was out out shape when I started with her).    She can now pass the run for her age and up to Wright Brothers.  We are still working on the Mitchell time, and I estimate its going to take every bit of a year to get her there.

If you are going to run with Asthma,  always have your inhaler with you, and run with a buddy who can call for help if you have a problem.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

lordmonar

Also....it is not wimping out to know that you have a legitimate limitation.

While PT Is important we should not holding you up for a disability nor should we be putting you a physical risk just to get a promotion.

So....as already stated.  Talk to your doctor first about what you should be doing and get your Category III paperwork if necessary.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TheGooseLover

Thank you all! I will talk to my dr!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

almostspaatz

Sorry gotta be that guy:

PT=physical training
PFT=Physical fitness test

pet peeve of mine  >:D

Echoing previous posts: Definitely check with the doctor! Don't be a tough guy and get hurt...

Good luck on the mile and congrats on Wright Bros!
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Full time cadet

Work on your running, that's what I did. I brushed up on my mile run the whole week before the day I test for cpft.

Requirement was a 7:35. The week before I ran I got a 8:40. I ran a 7:16 that day.

Try not to waive yourself from cpft. Don't be that dude that just sits around while everyone is pting and scream at people (only from what I experience).

Hard work and dedication is all that it needs.

You can read one of my posts about my mile runs.

abdsp51

Quote from: Full time cadet on October 16, 2015, 03:59:51 AM
Work on your running, that's what I did. I brushed up on my mile run the whole week before the day I test for cpft.

Requirement was a 7:35. The week before I ran I got a 8:40. I ran a 7:16 that day.

Try not to waive yourself from cpft. Don't be that dude that just sits around while everyone is pting and scream at people (only from what I experience).

Not your place the OP mentioned he has a legit breathing condition and the only folks who can tell him/her to run or not is parents and physician.  Do you know how to recognize/treat an Asthma attack if one were to happen in front of you?

Glenn Quagmire

Do you know CPR? I do! AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL RIGHT!

PA Guy

Quote from: Glenn Quagmire on October 16, 2015, 08:34:36 AM

You might consider calming down.

TheSkyHornet

As said before, medical limitations are not "wimping out."

You definitely need to discuss this with a medical professional before taking action upon yourself to run for the sake of being the All-American Athlete. I know of several cadets whom I have met that have physical limitations during PT, and most of them like to try to max out anyway and then realize somewhere during PT that it was a really bad idea. It's a whole different world saying "I'm going to try" and facing the consequences if you know you have limitations.

There are PT waivers for things like this. Yes, you can run with asthma, but you need to exercise extreme caution, and this also needs to be discussed with your CDC and Safety Officer before even being attempted.

You are not an expert on medical conditioning for physical activity nor cardio/pulmonary functions.

If somebody who has a waiver for PT is sitting on the sidelines screaming, that is a fault of the cadet in charge not getting a grasp on that situation and should be addressed. But someone sitting out from PT because they have a medical concern is not something to joke around with.

I've already witnessed a cadet have an asthma attack during a CPFT because he didn't have his inhaler with him and didn't tell anybody he left it at home that day before starting PT. It was a pretty nasty thing to witness and you could almost feel his attack by the expressions on his face and the sounds he was making. It's not a matter of "giving it your best and doing it anyway." Yes, you can condition yourself to run with certain medical issues, such as asthma, but it should be done under the supervision and/or consult of a medical expert and physical trainer, not a bunch of people, especially kids, on a forum coaching you on.

Майор Хаткевич

This is why cadets need SM supervision. For all talk of how "mature" some cadets think they are...basic things like this prove otherwise.

I'd rather waive a cadets PT based on a doctors recommendation than have a cadet get injured or worse because someone though they are "woosing out".

TheGooseLover

Thank you all for such awesome and quick responses, I'm going to ask my DCC this Tuesday if I could set the PT out due to asthma, I'm sure he'll say yes. I'll talk to my DR about getting a waiver soon as possible! Thanks all!
C/SrA Hodge
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

PHall

Quote from: Glenn Quagmire on October 16, 2015, 08:34:36 AM

Not bad, lasted just 2 hours, 28 minutes and 11 seconds before getting the boot. That's almost record time...

Full time cadet

I apologize if I am giving the wrong advice.

I was just giving my advice from what I experienced. Correct me if I am wrong .

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Full time cadet on October 17, 2015, 05:37:03 PM
I apologize if I am giving the wrong advice.

I was just giving my advice from what I experienced. Correct me if I am wrong .

Yo have been corrected. The advice you received was inappropriate if these were similar circumstances.

For the record, senior members and CAP are legally responsible for cadet physical activities, as you are minors.

TheGooseLover

Thanks, and full time cadet, I do thank you for the time you took to write your answer and post it, although maybe not the best one, I appreciate all of y'all for doing this. Thanks :)
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

Flying Pig

Asthma, ice it and walk it off.   Right? This is a youth program designed to mentor americas youth to be better leaders, not leave them with lasting injuries to remember CAP by.  There will be no wars won or lost based on CPFT scores.

TheGooseLover

Thanks all for contributing your knowledge + opinion to this article.. Tonight is PT. I'm going to give the push-ups/sit-ups my all... I'm going to walk the mile as quickly as possible so I can be motivational to my flight! Thanks all!
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Caponly101 on October 20, 2015, 02:54:13 PM
Thanks all for contributing your knowledge + opinion to this article.. Tonight is PT. I'm going to give the push-ups/sit-ups my all... I'm going to walk the mile as quickly as possible so I can be motivational to my flight! Thanks all!

Did you ever talk with a doctor and/or the Deputy Commander for Cadets about this?

TheGooseLover

Im talking to the DCC tonight
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

A.Member

Quote from: Caponly101 on October 20, 2015, 03:56:41 PM
Im talking to the DCC tonight
Not sure why you're not understanding this but you need to talk to your doctor and get a medical evaluation!  That's where you start.

Your CDC (or DCC as you wrote it) is NOT your doctor and really has nothing to say about it.  Only a medical doctor can provide a medical evaluation.   If you really have asthma, it's a serious issue.  You say you have "mild asthma".  Is this self diagnosed or did you actually see a doctor in the past?   Did you note asthma when you initially reported your PT category?

A medical doctor will note any medical restrictions, particularly asthma related. 

Note: if restrictions are made for asthma, this diagnosis will be permanent...and by permanent, I mean it will follow you for life, including likely disqualification for later military service.  Again, this is serious, treat it as such.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TheGooseLover

I can't see a doctor before tonight, I meant I'm asking my DCC if I can sit out tonight, sorry for confusion. I did note asthma, but in the summer I ran a 8:30 mile and felt fine. It's not self diagnosed. My Dr. Says I have EIA, Excercise Induced Asthma.
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

A.Member

Quote from: Caponly101 on October 20, 2015, 07:11:40 PM
I can't see a doctor before tonight, I meant I'm asking my DCC if I can sit out tonight, sorry for confusion. I did note asthma, but in the summer I ran a 8:30 mile and felt fine. It's not self diagnosed. My Dr. Says I have EIA, Excercise Induced Asthma.
Doesn't matter how fast/slow you ran or how you felt.  When did you see the doctor and when was the diagnosis made?  Were you given a spirometry test when you saw your doc?  Did the doctor impose restrictions on your activities (if you're in an unrestricted PT category (CAT I), you're expected to perform as such)?  Is the doctor aware of your physical activities?  This is the conversation you need to have - now.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TheSkyHornet

Just to clarify....

CDC = Deputy Commander for Cadets (senior member)
C/DCC = Cadet Deputy Commander (cadet)

I want to make it so you understand the problem here....
CAP is liable for you, meaning adults are responsible for your safety and protection. If there is something you are not telling them, and they are unaware of this, you could be putting them in a position where they are going to permit you to perform an activity that may have a a severe safety concern if something were to happen to you, and if it does, they may not be able to adequately help you in time.

I recommend that you simply call your CDC (skip the chain of command) and tell them that you plan on coming to the meeting but that you need to sit out because you have a medical condition that you are worried about which may affect your health and safety during PT, and that it may or may not be listed on any paperwork with the squadron. Explain to him (or her) your file should say asthma, but it would be best to take a Cadet Physical Fitness Waiver from CAPP 52-18 to your doctor before continuing to participate in PT or any other rigorous physical activity.

This was brought to my attention at my own squadron regarding a similar situation, and our immediate reaction was "You aren't doing PT, and you're not going to do PT until you see a doctor and we know where you are physically." It doesn't mean you can't participate in the classroom, but I would refuse to put you out on the track until I knew from a medical expert what they thought you were capable of.

Be up front with your doctor when it comes time to sit down and talk about it. Explain to him (or her) that you would really like to continue to participate in PT, and that you have worked hard to get better at it, but you need to know what your actual physical limitations should be when it comes to participating in PT, which includes a mile-long run, a minute of sit ups, and a minute of push-ups, plus a seated sit-and-reach. Explain how you think you perform physically, but be honest about how you feel (if you ever have shortness of breath, need an inhaler, or get chest pains). He can't determine what your condition is if you don't tell them honestly.

I have two CAT IV cadets prohibited from certain physical activities. Possibly adding a third. It's not a big deal to say "You shouldn't be doing this" and it doesn't affect their CAP career. But it can affect their health, and life, if they continue and we don't know about it, or worse, we do know and we don't act responsibly.

THRAWN

Good advice. Might want to get your parents/guardians into the OODA loop. What is their input? They, and your doctor need to be included in this NOW. The worst experience of not only my CAP life, but my life in general was watching a cadet get carted off to the hospital over an underreported/unreported medical condition. Don't do something stupid.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 20, 2015, 08:46:06 PM
Just to clarify....

No.  CD is the office symbol for the Deputy Commander.  Therefore, Cadet Deputy Commander would be C/CD and not C/DCC. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on October 20, 2015, 08:53:29 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 20, 2015, 08:46:06 PM
Just to clarify....

No.  CD is the office symbol for the Deputy Commander.  Therefore, Cadet Deputy Commander would be C/CD and not C/DCC.

You're correct. I did not proof read what I wrote. Ironic that I was making a statement about proper abbreviations and didn't even check my own work. My bad.   :-\

*hangs head lowly in shame*