New CAPR 52-16 Just Dropped

Started by NC Hokie, June 19, 2014, 06:53:00 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 20, 2014, 02:36:12 PM
That's what it was. I saw an internet joke about "don't drink hydrogen oxide!"

Still cannot believe that whom ever maintains this website has kept it going:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

JeffDG

I'm certain more people die every year from inhalation of DHMO than from energy drinks, yet I don't see the regulation banning DHMO.  >:D

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on June 20, 2014, 02:41:17 PM
I'm certain more people die every year from inhalation of DHMO than from energy drinks, yet I don't see the regulation banning DHMO.  >:D

California has beaten you to it

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534017/

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 20, 2014, 10:58:13 AM
WIWAC someone should probably have banned Axe, in the concentrations teenage boys applied it at the time I'm pretty sure we killed a few brain cells (has that actually changed?).
This is actually a strong pet peeve of mine, you don't ban a brand, especially considering that could be construed as endorsing other brands.  You ban the actual product.  Have an issue with aerosol deodorants?  Ban them, not the popular brand.  Especially since brands like Axe also have products that are not aerosol.

I actually went to an activity once where on the packing list, for deodorants it said "No Axe", so I ended up going with another brand of aerosol deodorant and Axe brand shower gel, shampoo, etc.  When the director found out, they were not pleased, but I like to think my point got across, helps I was on staff.

Note: I did bring gel-type deodorant too, not a fan of aerosol myself for other reasons.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Ned

Quote from: Alaric on June 20, 2014, 04:30:54 AM
Obviously National disagrees which does not surprise me as they seem to feel that the "nanny state" is the desirable state. 

To Robert and others:

I don't "Nanny State" used in the CP context is quite the derogatory phrase you think it is.

When you think about it, it is actually a fairly good approximation of our some of our responsibilities in the cadet program - to care for our cadets with the permission and guidance of the parents.  (While challenging the cadets in a rigorous leadership training program that uses a military model, of course.  ;) )

Sometimes part of supervising young folks in our age cohort (12 - 20.99), is restricting some of our cadets' personal choices. 

Just like good parents.

But are we really just gonna debate the energy drink question?  I would have thought that was going to be among the least controversial of the substantive changes.  I guess I was wrong again.  God Bless CAP-Talk and it's unique blend of personalities.

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on June 20, 2014, 06:13:20 PM
But are we really just gonna debate the energy drink question?

I think that was more or less my fault.  Sorry :)

BHartman007

Quote from: LSThiker on June 20, 2014, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on June 20, 2014, 02:06:28 PM
good old DiHydroxide.

Actually, dihydroxide would be bad for you.  That is a compound that contains two OH- groups.  What you are looking for is the IUPAC name oxidane.  Or if you would like dihydrogen monoxide, hydrogen oxide, dihydrogen oxide, or hydrogen hydroxide.

Two guys walk into a bar run by a former chemist. The first says "I'll have some H2O". The second says "I'll have some H2O too". He died.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

a2capt

Garibaldi

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 20, 2014, 07:00:24 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on June 20, 2014, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on June 20, 2014, 02:06:28 PM
good old DiHydroxide.

Actually, dihydroxide would be bad for you.  That is a compound that contains two OH- groups.  What you are looking for is the IUPAC name oxidane.  Or if you would like dihydrogen monoxide, hydrogen oxide, dihydrogen oxide, or hydrogen hydroxide.

Two guys walk into a bar run by a former chemist. The first says "I'll have some H2O". The second says "I'll have some H2O too". He died.

I heard it differently:
Two chemists walk into a bar. The first said to the bartender, "I will have some H2O." The second said "I will have some water, as well." The first chemist fumed, his assassination plot foiled.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

MSG Mac

Quote from: a2capt on June 20, 2014, 09:10:04 PM

I always remind my grand kids that water is composed of both Hydrogen and Oxygen, both of which are highly explosive and that if they drink too much it could cause burping and farting.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Oxygen in its gaseous form is not explosive. Compressed in bottles, it can rapidly expand, much like any other compressed gas, but you can't "light" it. It only serves as the third side of the fire triangle, and supports combustion. The higher the concentration, the faster the fuel burns. The Apollo 1 fire is a good example. There was no explosion; it was a flash fire.

This info is primarily from the LOX safety class I taught in the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on June 21, 2014, 01:43:25 AM
Oxygen in its gaseous form is not explosive. Compressed in bottles, it can rapidly expand, much like any other compressed gas, but you can't "light" it. It only serves as the third side of the fire triangle, and supports combustion. The higher the concentration, the faster the fuel burns. The Apollo 1 fire is a good example. There was no explosion; it was a flash fire.

This info is primarily from the LOX safety class I taught in the Navy.

The biggest danger with LOX is the extreme cold.

SarDragon

Spill LOX on an oily rag, and the last thing you need to worry about is the cold. The rag will autoignite almost immediately, and burn vigorously until either the rag or the LOX is depleted.

Now we should return to our regularly scheduled CAP regulation complaint thread.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Read this a little bit while at work and don't see too much of a big change in it except that now promotion boards are mandatory. 

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on June 21, 2014, 07:49:22 AM
Spill LOX on an oily rag, and the last thing you need to worry about is the cold. The rag will autoignite almost immediately, and burn vigorously until either the rag or the LOX is depleted.

Now we should return to our regularly scheduled CAP regulation complaint thread.  ;)

Spill it on bare skin! :o     Or even better bare skin that has oil on it! >:D

ZigZag911

Just an observation:  five full pages and no one has turned it into a uniform debate!

I believe this may be a record for CAP Talk!

Cadetter

Quote from: CAPR 52-16
5-2 (d) Promotion Boards. Effective 1 September 2014, units will hold promotion boards to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept increased responsibilities that come with their promotions. At a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion.

How is it a promotion board if the cadet isn't present?

(Note: I'm just wondering.)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

lordmonar

Quote from: Cadetter on June 21, 2014, 05:05:12 PM
5-2 (d) Promotion Boards. Effective 1 September 2014, units will hold promotion boards to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept increased responsibilities that come with their promotions. At a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion.

The board (the Commander, the DCC/Leadership Officer and the Cadet Commander) sit down with the records of the cadet being promoted, fill out the CAPF50 (if applicable).  they discuss the cadet's progress and make a promotion decision.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Quote from: Cadetter on June 21, 2014, 05:05:12 PM

The idea is to maximize the promotions for cadets. A board can review records and discuss promotions far easier and faster without the cadet present. But primarily because there may be a reason the cadet cannot attend the meeting due to illness, death in the family, or even attending an NCSA.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

+1 - This "knock once, wait to enter, be seated" nonsense just wastes time, and sometimes violates regulations
about retesting or what the process should be.

The member need not be present for the board to consider his promotion - everything relevent should be documented,
cadet or senior.

"That Others May Zoom"