Promoting 2 mos

Started by ilovecap, June 14, 2013, 07:23:30 AM

ilovecap

I want to promote every 2 month but my squadron has a hard time of doing that. This is because our weekly meetings are always packed we barely have enough time for review boards, and the newly required drill tests. I always work hard to finish the all the required AE and leadership tests, PT, etc but review boards that have been delayed again and again hold me back. I really want to challenge myself promoting every 2 mos but i cant. Other squadrons are able to promote their cadets every 2 mos but not my squadron. Any advice on this? And advice on promoting every 2 mos?

PHall

Why do you feel the need to promote every two months?  It's not a race you know.

Danger

Fun Fact- you can promote every 8 weeks.

Don't worry about promoting mega-fast. It's good to challenge yourself, so keep on working on your goals. But be cautious not to promote too fast. Understand your leadership capabilities and if you think you don't have what it takes to be, say, a master sergeant, don't promote. Talk to your cadet chain of command and they can help you out a lot.

My biggest tip would be to get everything done early. So that every 8th week, you have all your stuff done and all that is left is your oath and review board. Then you don't need to waste their time or any other cadets promotion time and you can get straight to it.

Good luck
"Never take anything too seriously."

Майор Хаткевич

Review boards are only required for Milestones. If the unit is unable to have them for every promotion, then they shouldn't have them. The SM staff can make the call without them.

Spaceman3750

Drill tests have existed since at least 2005 when I was a cadet.

Майор Хаткевич

2005? Didn't the new curriculum come in around 2008-09?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 14, 2013, 02:18:29 PM

Yeah, but its my recollection that they existed before then. Maybe it was just a review board thing. Either way, they're not new.

jeders

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 14, 2013, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 14, 2013, 02:18:29 PM

Yeah, but its my recollection that they existed before then. Maybe it was just a review board thing. Either way, they're not new.

IIRC, there was a drill test for Curry (doing) and Wright Brothers (commanding), but that was it. With the new curriculum which was implemented in 2010-11 time frame, there is now a drill test for every enlisted achievement.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

abdsp51

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 14, 2013, 02:02:09 PM
Review boards are only required for Milestones. If the unit is unable to have them for every promotion, then they shouldn't have them. The SM staff can make the call without them.

Boards are not required for promotions in any capacity ISW CAPR52-16 5.2.d

lordmonar

Quote from: ilovecap on June 14, 2013, 07:23:30 AM
I want to promote every 2 month but my squadron has a hard time of doing that. This is because our weekly meetings are always packed we barely have enough time for review boards, and the newly required drill tests. I always work hard to finish the all the required AE and leadership tests, PT, etc but review boards that have been delayed again and again hold me back. I really want to challenge myself promoting every 2 mos but i cant. Other squadrons are able to promote their cadets every 2 mos but not my squadron. Any advice on this? And advice on promoting every 2 mos?
This is a question you need to address to your local leadership.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NC Hokie

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 14, 2013, 03:14:51 PM

No, but they are allowed, so any argument that they should be done away with in this particular case will likely fall on deaf ears.  Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another case of unnecessary delay caused by the lack of any regulatory requirement that promotion boards be held regularly or that they make decisions in a timely manner.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Pylon

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 14, 2013, 03:14:51 PM

Boards are never required, but a CAPF 50 review is required once per phase, at some point during the phase.  Since a board is required to use CAPF 50 as a basis for their review, many units accomplish the CAPF 50 by using the board format.  However, you're right in that boards are not required (I used to accomplish CAPF 50 reviews as a DCC by my own knowledge and talking to that cadet's cadet supervisors). 

If the unit is having trouble fitting in boards in a timely manner, and that alone is causing cadets to be held up for promotion, then the unit should absolutely dispense with the review boards.

The drill tests can be administered by a senior-ranking cadet (with the supervision of a senior member/testing officer), so even a SM with no knowledge of cadet programs could help adminster the drill tests by using a knowledgeable cadet officer, for example, if the unit is having a hard time scheduling administration of those as well.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

We actually revamped our board process from every achievement to every phase.  And yes while it's not required but a CAPF50 is there is a couple different ways to approach it.

lordmonar

I'm not a big fan of boards....but I will not argue their use.

HOWEVER.......any thing that is just bureaucratic  none sense that slows down cadet's progression needs to be dumped or stream lined.

IF.....I SAY AGAIN.....IF a cadet has completed ALL the requirements for promotion...then he needs to be promoted ASAP.

"we only do PRBs every other month....and if you miss it you have to wait two more months" is NOT an acceptable answer in my book.

I understand that we need a schedule and there are a lot of things going on that need to be done....and we have to manage our time.   However....we also need to keep our cadets promoting rapidly.  If they are on the ball and kicking butt and getting everything done....and meeting the subjective promotion requirements......then we need to promote them.

To the OP.

Talk to your chain of command about this.   It sounds like you have a very busy squadron...that's a good thing.....let them know how this is effecting you and your needs to progress.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on June 14, 2013, 10:22:48 PM
IF.....I SAY AGAIN.....IF a cadet has completed ALL the requirements for promotion...then he needs to be promoted ASAP.

The cadet gets promoted when and only when the Squadron Commander approves it.
The cadet can fill all the squares, but if the Squadron Commander doesn't feel that the cadet is ready, then they don't approve it.
No approval, no promotion, it's as simple as that.

Some units do use promotion review boards. But their function is to provide the Commander the infomation they need to decide if the cadet is ready for promotion.
At least that's how it's supposed to happen.

ol'fido

As I said in a different thread, the two month rule is to provide a MINIMUM time between promotions. It is not a requirement by any means. If your only goal is to promote every two months, you are probably not taking the time to REALLY learn the material. If you study it with the goal of passing the test only, it will not sink in. If you set down and take the time to really learn the material without the two month "deadline", the tests will come a lot easier and things will start to click in your brain. To try and promote every two months is fine if you can absorb the material. If the two month deadline is more important than actually learning the material, you need to check priorities.

We have the same problem in ES with people who learn the tasks and retain it just long enough to get evaluated. Or they learn just enough to get qualified, and then go "Done" and never learn another thing.

Qualified does NOT equal competent.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NC Hokie

Quote from: PHall on June 14, 2013, 11:19:23 PM

The cadet can fill all the squares, but if the Squadron Commander doesn't feel that the cadet is ready, then they don't approve it.

Yeah, it may have been better to have said that the promotion decision needs to be made ASAP.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 14, 2013, 02:04:47 PMDrill tests have existed since at least 2005 when I was a cadet.
Leadership 2000 has two Drill Tests. For Achievement 1 and 2.

The Wright Brothers test is the same drill test in both Leadership 2000 and Learn to Lead.

Learn to Lead added a Drill related test to each of it's achievements.

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on June 14, 2013, 11:19:23 PM

Some units do use promotion review boards. But their function is to provide the Commander the infomation they need to decide if the cadet is ready for promotion.
At least that's how it's supposed to happen.
Re-read what I said.

If the cadet has completed all the requirements including the subjective ones (i.e. the cadet is "ready" to promote) then he needs to be promoted.
I hate boards because there is no way that a 15-30 minute board is going to make or break a cadet's readiness to be promoted.

As a commander or DCC I don't need a board to give me a recommendation.  I ask the cadet's supervisors...his flight commander and flight sergeant for their recommendation.

IMHO most PRB's are simply a waste of time. 

I don't hate them enough to make a big stink about them....but have them or not.......I stand by what I said.   We are doing a disservice to our cadets if we delay their promotions one minute longer then they need to be.

lordmonar

Quote from: ol'fido on June 15, 2013, 12:49:56 AM
As I said in a different thread, the two month rule is to provide a MINIMUM time between promotions. It is not a requirement by any means. If your only goal is to promote every two months, you are probably not taking the time to REALLY learn the material.

As a goal...or as a minimum.  I hate when people tell a cadet to slow down.  It is contrary to the Cadet Oath to slow down.   NOW......if you want to talk to his leadership about promoting cadets too soon......go for it.  But don't tell cadets to slow down.

QuoteIf you study it with the goal of passing the test only, it will not sink in.
So?  It will only sink in through the leadership lab.

QuoteIf you set down and take the time to really learn the material without the two month "deadline", the tests will come a lot easier and things will start to click in your brain.
Are you suggesting that if you study with out a dead line.......you learn easier?  This makes no sense.

QuoteTo try and promote every two months is fine if you can absorb the material. If the two month deadline is more important than actually learning the material, you need to check priorities.
???  You can't promote if you don't learn the material.......ergo your hang up with those who strive to promote quickly....is misguided.   

QuoteWe have the same problem in ES with people who learn the tasks and retain it just long enough to get evaluated. Or they learn just enough to get qualified, and then go "Done" and never learn another thing.

Qualified does NOT equal competent.
WRONG   qualified does mean competent.......if not then you need to fire your trainers and evaluators.
But you are talking apple and oranges here.

Bottom line......COMMANDERS and Deputy Commanders for Cadets are responsible for promoting cadets when.....and only when they are "ready" for promotion.  If they are ready in 8 weeks.....then they need to be promoted.   NO ONE........I SAY AGAIN....NO ONE should be telling cadets that they need not "advance rapidly" in the cadet program.

The need to study and take their tests, they need to work on their PT, they need to attend their CD and AE briefs and participate in squadron activities.  They need to participate in the leadership lab portions of the CP......and they need to do that every day with out delay.   And we as CP leaders need to be observing, guiding and mentoring our cadets.....and we need to promote THE DAY that they complete all the requirements.