Cadet Encampment Handbook

Started by jimmydeanno, October 05, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

Ned

Sigh.

It is perhaps not surprising that we would rather debate the type of buttons or specific ribbons worn in an illustration rather than continue to discuss the actual substance of the Handbook.

This is CAPTalk, after all.

But please accept my gentle invitation to focus on the contents rather than nitpick portions of the illustrations. 

And yes, we designed the Handbook to be printed in a "BDU-pocket friendly" format.  Let's talk about whether we should have such a document before we start debating where it should be printed.

Please.

Ned Lee
Cadet Program Enthusiast

ProdigalJim

Ned:

Agree on the nit-picking of uniform illustrations. I didn't find them to be egregious.

Speaking as a former cadet, I would have enjoyed something like this to chew on while in line, waiting for lights-out, etc. This is a solid and useful concept, standardizes the cultural expectations for cadets across the country and can serve as a good reference for SMs as well.

As an editorial leader at Aviation Week & Space Technology for the past 24 years, I couldn't help but nit-pick on grammar, spelling and usage. Particularly when there are cadets concerned, we owe them every shot at correct spellings and usage --

Page 4, second graf – ratcheted
Page 5, first graf – sworn at
Page 10-11, lose the ashtray...ugh
Page 12, second graf – the President
Page 16, first graf – act correctly
Page 17, last graf – performing well
Page 19, caption – You've got to
Page 22, "Now, on a beautiful  stallion, comes an impressive..."
Page 25, the order in the life-cycle graphic does not match the order in the text
Page 29, barrel (A-10), supersonically (B-1B), highest-value (B-2),
Page 31, the President (E-4B),
Page 35, C-172 Skyhawk: Crew: 1 pilot, 1 observer, 1 scanner (ought to be used for the C-182 description as well)
Page 40, Aircraft navigation would be greatly affected
Page 46, air-minded
Page 50, Mary Feik: led

That out of the way, now I'd like to address substance --

Page 46, courier service is a "dangerous mission"?
Page 48, the Lee Harvey Oswald reference is gratuitous and the Byrd reference not only speculative but potentially libelous; Byrd's family/estate could quite rightly conclude that he's being implicated in the assasination. NOT the place for us to be as an organization.
Page 60, Golding quote is of ambiguous use here; what is the point? We go to great lengths to discourage hazing...why even cite something like Golding?

Lastly, I will confess to being bothered by the juxtaposition of images on pages 19 and 20. I think the *safest* move is to use non-religious illustrations for the servant leadership discussion.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

abdsp51

I would have to agree that the ashtrays need to be yanked out of there.  The Oswald mention should be as well, especially if there is nothing to substantiate it.  And the pseudo gangster picture should be taken out as well.  I do like that there is a little more to earn the encampment credit than before.  Outside of those IMO I think it is great that there is an effort being made to standardize encampment across the board.

BillB

The Concept of a standardized Encampment Handbook has great value.. I do think the cover photo is poor giving the idea that encampment is all fun and names, not a learning process. Since no two encampments are the same due to facilities, times activities can be held and types of training available, the Handbkk does give a first time cadet a broad view of encampment, USAF and CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Brad

I like the idea of a handbook, especially to help cadets get at least an overview of what to expect. Sure it can't address everything, but it helps reassure them. In addition if the handbook was issued approximately a week or so before encampment it would help reassure the "nervous parents" who are still wary about Little Johhny who's all anxious to go to encampment but they're still not sure what he'll be going through.

Now if the uniform errors could be corrected I'd be happy. I know it's a "draft" but they do need to be addressed. If we're obsessing about them here, imagine how much the cadets reading it will be obsessing over them....some to the point of ignoring the material they are supposed to reinforce. Not to mention what CAP public affairs stuff I have read always emphasizes correct uniforms when preparing material that will be viewed by the public, and I think this qualifies.

P.S. Did anyone else cringe at that marriage of The New Triangle Thingy and the USAF Hap Arnold emblem on page 8? :-P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Extremepredjudice

QuoteIn addition if the handbook was issued approximately a week or so before encampment
I can assure  you 50% of the cadets will then lose it or forget it.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

It can be emailed to everyone with an address. They can review it before the event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2012, 01:01:17 AM
It can be emailed to everyone with an address. They can review it before the event.

Orrrrrr...you could put it on a website available for individual download. Instead of printing eleventy billion copies each cadet logs in to eservices or something similar and downloads it, and the website automatically sends an email or eservices notification to the encampment commander and his unit CC as having downloaded said document. This puts the onus on the cadet to have downloaded and reviewed the material prior to encampment and adds individual accountability.  >:D

Just my $.02
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

The cadets will need to physically have this in their possession, and we >don't< want them printing themselves.

We also can't have them thinking they will bring it on their Tablet, etc., as those are contraband.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 02:40:12 AM

The cadets will need to physically have this in their possession,

Agreed. But, making this a part of their CAP binder (that NHQ so lovingly gives every new member) that they PRINT out THEMSELVES makes them more accountable. Why make NHQ spend eleventy billion dollars, as I said, to print and ship out a document that a cadet may or may not receive in the mail in time for their encampment? The cadet spends what, six to eight dollars on a ream of 1000 sheets of paper that won't be used up on this? Granted, not EVERY cadet has a home computer, but most have access to one either at school or their local library. Most places like that will ask you to use your own paper or replenish theirs if you have a large print job.

and we >don't< want them printing themselves.

'oo says? And why?

We also can't have them thinking they will bring it on their Tablet, etc., as those are contraband.

Agreed. That's asking for trouble in so many ways.

Wow. Red letter day. I agree with 66% of Eclipse's rebuttal.

SarDragon

As mentioned above, self printing will frequently not produce the desired product. Booklet style printing is not supported by all printers, and manually figuring one out and printing it is not a trivial task. If I tell the flight to turn to page 14, I expect Cadet Schmuckatelli to be able to find his place as quickly as his flight mates, without fumbling around because it was not printed as intended.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2012, 05:06:57 AM
As mentioned above, self printing will frequently not produce the desired product. Booklet style printing is not supported by all printers, and manually figuring one out and printing it is not a trivial task. If I tell the flight to turn to page 14, I expect Cadet Schmuckatelli to be able to find his place as quickly as his flight mates, without fumbling around because it was not printed as intended.

Aren't the pages numbered? I'm not trying to be contrary here, I'm just finding fault with the arguments against self-printing. Even if the cadets print one-sided, surely they can be counted on to be ABLE to count to 14 and not count the cover in that process.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 04:20:33 AM
Agreed. But, making this a part of their CAP binder (that NHQ so lovingly gives every new member) that they PRINT out THEMSELVES makes them more accountable. Why make NHQ spend eleventy billion dollars, as I said, to print and ship out a document that a cadet may or may not receive in the mail in time for their encampment? The cadet spends what, six to eight dollars on a ream of 1000 sheets of paper that won't be used up on this? Granted, not EVERY cadet has a home computer, but most have access to one either at school or their local library. Most places like that will ask you to use your own paper or replenish theirs if you have a large print job.

Under no circumstances would I ever suggest this should be mailed direct to the cadet.  This, just like TLC materials, etc., would be ordered in advance
and shipped in bulk to the wing or the encampment CC.  This has nothing to do with the personal responsibility aspect and everything to do
with the realities of bulk mailing 150-300 pieces of mail which are critical to the cadet's performance at this activity.

As to the cost, at the end of the day it's all the same money - the members pay for it, whether from dues and other funds, the encampment fees, or
their own ink and paper budget.

As SARDRAGON points out, what you'd wind up with is 1/3+ of the cadets carrying 60 pages of paper, maybe stapled, maybe not, with light bands of
black ink and pink photos because "mom hasn't bought a new ink cartridge and I waited until the day of encampment to print this".  For every cadet who has a mom with a high-speed color printer at work that will do edge binding, there will be 2-5 who can't even find it online unless it's posted to
Facebook (and that includes mom looking).

I just ran it through FedExOffice Online printing, that's supposed to offer 25% off walk-in prices, on full-color, double-sided, standard laser paper, with no binding or stapling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    $35.40
(There's also an issue with the paper size, it didn't like it and had to do a conversion.)

"Who would pay $35.40 to print a manual?  I could buy a whole printer for $50."

The same parents who spend $20+ to next-day overnight an application they've had six months to send in the mail.

And what do you do for the inevitable 10% who's dog ate it, or who honestly never received it?  Send them home?

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 02:21:21 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 04:20:33 AM

Under no circumstances would I ever suggest this should be mailed direct to the cadet.  This, just like TLC materials, etc., would be ordered in advance
and shipped in bulk to the wing or the encampment CC.  This has nothing to do with the personal responsibility aspect and everything to do
with the realities of bulk mailing 150-300 pieces of mail which are critical to the cadet's performance at this activity.

As to the cost, at the end of the day it's all the same money - the members pay for it, whether from dues and other funds, the encampment fees, or
their own ink and paper budget.

As SARDRAGON points out, what you'd wind up with is 1/3+ of the cadets carrying 60 pages of paper, maybe stapled, maybe not, with light bands of
black ink and pink photos because "mom hasn't bought a new ink cartridge and I waited until the day of encampment to print this".  For every cadet who has a mom with a high-speed color printer at work that will do edge binding, there will be 2-5 who can't even find it online unless it's posted to
Facebook (and that includes mom looking).

I just ran it through FedExOffice Online printing, that's supposed to offer 25% off walk-in prices, on full-color, double-sided, standard laser paper, with no binding or stapling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    $35.40
(There's also an issue with the paper size, it didn't like it and had to do a conversion.)

"Who would pay $35.40 to print a manual?  I could buy a whole printer for $50."

The same parents who spend $20+ to next-day overnight an application they've had six months to send in the mail.

And what do you do for the inevitable 10% who's dog ate it, or who honestly never received it?  Send them home?

OK somehow I missed the part where it was supposed to be professionally bound/stapled/bindered, also where it was supposed to be printed in "booklet" form. I got nothin' else.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 03:59:19 PMOK somehow I missed the part where it was supposed to be professionally bound/stapled/bindered, also where it was supposed to be printed in "booklet" form. I got nothin' else.

The above is not bound, it's not even stapled, just laser printed duplex so it's at least down from 60 to 30 pages.

It amazes me as well, but you'd be surprised the level of "I can't" involved with our members, especially cadets, and computers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

It's one thing to print 60 pages of CAPR XX-XX - it's all text. Quite another something with so much color and imagery as this. I DON'T even own a color printer...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 06, 2012, 03:12:29 AM
Word on the street is that each wing would call NHQ and say, "We have 400 cadets coming to encampment, please send us enough to cover it."  And voila!  In the mail comes 425 books.  Printing on the scale that NHQ does it isn't that expensive.  In fact, I'd wager a guess that publishing these will probably cost less per copy than a photocopied B&W local handbook done at Staples.

I'm estimating that for the qty nhq would be ordering that they would be about $0.50 each, the right size, color, bound, etc. 

The leadership books are printed under $5.00 a set...so...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

I just looked at the Document Properties, and this thing has a page size of 5" x 7". This jives with the carry in your pocket concept. I can guarantee that not 1 in 10 people can print this out at home and have it come anywhere close to the intended presentation, even in just grey scale. I'd go for 1 in 50 for color.

There is NO reasonable expectation that a cadet can effectively use this pamphlet if it's printed on 60 one-sided sheets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Agreed - the average cadet would show up with sixty single-sided pages with the 5x7 image in the center of the page.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 10:24:12 PM
Agreed - the average cadet would show up with sixty single-sided pages with the 5x7 image in the center of the page.
Isn't that why they built scissors?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"