Cadet Encampment Handbook

Started by jimmydeanno, October 05, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

jimmydeanno

Hey Folks,

A draft of the Cadet Encampment Handbook (DRAFT CAPP 52-25] has been published to the Cadet Blog.  Check it out, as they are looking for feedback.

Here's the blurb from the blog:

Most readers of the Cadet Blog know that we're pursuing a nationwide standard for the encampment program. Part of that effort includes a "Cadet Encampment Handbook."

"Hurry up and wait" is a fact of encampment life. Cadets stand in line waiting to be served their meals. They spend time in vans, driving around the installation. They find themselves with 10 minutes of free time here and there as flights cycle through various tours and activities. In short, there is a need for "hip pocket" training resources --- some kind of useful tool to help local leaders make the most of the inevitable downtime.

Enter the "Cadet Encampment Handbook." This draft is a collection of cadet-related readings that augment the main curriculum, similar to what USAF Academy cadets have in their "Contrails" book. Local leaders can use the handbook as a basis for what some encampments call "knowledge and memory work." The local leaders might, for instance, require cadets to memorize items X,Y, and Z by noon Sunday. . . . the training plan is up to them. This handbook does not presume to micromanage "hip pocket" training, but provide a high-quality text that helps standardize the encampment experience.

Most encampments have provided cadets with a local SOP that they read during downtime. Because every encampment operates in an unique setting, there will always need to be locally-produced SOPs to inform cadets about local barracks rules, local inspection rules, local fire alarm procedures, etc. This draft Handbook does not compete with those SOPs but rather provides bite-sized academic mini-lessons.

Finally, a word about the draft CAPP 52-24, "Cadet Encampment Guide."  We're continuing to review that draft, listen to your comments, and will post an updated draft later this fall.

Direct link to the pamphlet: [Pamphlet Link]

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15930.0

Did they change the doc number or did I have it wrong?
None of the above; jimmydeano's link is to a draft edition of the handbook that would be given to cadets attending encampment. It appears to be the current usual mix of good info in an attractive format, with a few things that might make an average teenager roll their eyes a bit.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Sorry - RTFM

The ashtrays are pretty gross.

This needs to go -
Lee Harvey Oswald was once a CAP cadet. And, the Texas School Book Depository 
building, from where he shot and killed President Kennedy, was owned by CAP National Commander Brig Gen Harold Byrd. Coincidence?

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved.

There's a few photos with old uniforms that need to be changed, otherwise cadets will be using them as examples.

This also raises another question - who's going to pay for these to be printed?
This is a 60-page (30ish duplexed), full color document with edge-bleed images.  Most encampment handbooks
are black and white 1/2 page deals, scaled specifically to fit in a BDU pocket.  This thing is going to burn out a lot
of carts, and require a more than base-line printer.  A color laser that duplexes would be the optimum choice,
or generate a significant amount of revenue for Kinkos.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:57:00 PM
The ashtrays are pretty gross.

Maybe being gross is the point.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:57:00 PM
This needs to go -
Lee Harvey Oswald was once a CAP cadet. And, the Texas School Book Depository 
building, from where he shot and killed President Kennedy, was owned by CAP National Commander Brig Gen Harold Byrd. Coincidence?

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved.

WHAT?!? Kill it with fire! I cannot believe that this ever saw the light of day. SMH
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Майор Хаткевич

I don't get why we need to include the Oswald bit in that format...who suggested it? The same nutjob who bombed CAPTalk with the conspiracy theories about Oswald a few years back?

Garibaldi

I see a GLARING uniform error on page 5. The cadet holding the guidon has on a non-standard, non-BDU camoflage uniform of some sort. I'd replace that picture quickly.

As stated, please remove the ashtray picture.

P. 20: maybe put quotations around the word WOUNDED in the caption.

As an aside, perhaps remove the religious reference on p. 21

Love the Avengers picture on p. 23 but ensure that you have permission to use copyrighted material.

P.25: you talk about forming and storming etc but the first two graphics on the right are out of sequence

P.29: I'd remove the reference to the B-52 as BUFF or at least put in parenthesis (big ugly fat fella) because as most of us know BUFF stands for something a little different...

P. 48: As stated, removing the reference to Oswald would be good. I would also use "d***" in place of the actual word in the quotation above Oswald. Cadets with "little pitchers" and all...

BTW Eric Boe was a contemporary of mine back in the early 80s. He and I were in rival cadet units in Georgia Wing in 1981. My dad's wife knew him rather well when he was a cadet.

Just a few things that I noticed.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Extremepredjudice

Looks like FLWG winter encampment will be using this... http://flcadet.com/activities/winter-encampment.aspx

I liked the old FLWG handbook more...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 05, 2012, 06:27:08 PM
I see a GLARING uniform error on page 5. The cadet holding the guidon has on a non-standard, non-BDU camoflage uniform of some sort. I'd replace that picture quickly.

Weird - what's with the buttons and white pocket?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

Suspect encampment SOP sticking out of pocket, and "BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

Quote from: NIN on October 05, 2012, 08:09:41 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

Suspect encampment SOP sticking out of pocket, and "BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

Yah we have a cadet that this happened too.
Way too small for the smallest bdu's, shows up looking like this.
Parents are troopers, they actually SEWED the clothes with a flap over the buttons to make them look like a legit BDU

meh

you'll see more of this as well as milspec bdu's become harder to find.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 05, 2012, 08:09:41 PM"BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That is the only mini BDU style available. We have had a few cadets start in that. It works.

68w20

I'm not a huge fan of the cover photo, also found on pg 5.  I get that we're trying to show that encampment can be fun, but the picture seems a little unprofessional.

Also, what's the rational behind the Lord of the Flies quote at the end? 

PA Guy

I like it. The concept is great and overall the content is good and will go a long way in supplementing the local SOP. As with any draft it needs some tweaks.  I agree that the cover photo needs to be replaced. It just sends the wrong message and I hate seeing cadets acting gangsta with the hand signs but overall a long needed document.

Eclipse

I agree - wrong message - I've seen pyramids, formations, and other activities that would be better
and more appropriate - I hate all that pseudo gangsta nonsense, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The ash tray is perfect for conveying the message - smoking is nasty. I think it should stay.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

As of this post, I have not read the entire handbook yet. But, as eclipse pointed out, who is going to print this massive thing?

If the wing prints it, did this just add another 5$ to every cadet and senior who attend, and if not the wings, are we going to require cadets to print it off? Crazy....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

I would suggest it should be handled like other nationally-mandated documents and provided at no cost to encampments by NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 03:07:45 AM
I would suggest it should be handled like other nationally-mandated documents and provided at no cost to encampments by NHQ.

Where is the like button? LIKE
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC