Command Voice

Started by CadetColonelToBe, July 17, 2012, 07:40:09 PM

CadetColonelToBe

let's say a girl in CAP wants to be a flight sergeant but she's not sure how to use a command voice... she doesn't want to sound like shes trying to sound like a boy but doesn't want to sound to girly. What should she do? ???
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

bflynn

Be herself.

Command voice is more about projection, cadence and tone, not about sounding like a boy.

RogueLeader

I had a Platoon Leader that definitely had a "command voice."  She did NOT sound like a man (or boy for that matter.)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: bflynn link=topic=15775.msg284340#
date=1342554445

Be herself.

Command voice is more about projection, cadence and tone, not about sounding like a boy.

Partly right your command voice should consist of the following,

1) Loudness
2) Projection
3) Distinctness
4) Inflection
5) Snap

These are what you need per AFMAN36-2203 for your command voice.  Also when you call your commands you give a slight pause between the prepatory andthe execution commands.  And make sure you are projecting from the diaphram and not your throat.

Eclipse

Think before you speak.

Do not try to show off, be direct and indicate what you need to happen succinctly.

Look people in the eye.

A low volume with a "business tone" and a "3000 psi stare" can be much more effective then yelling.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2012, 08:37:53 PM
Think before you speak.

Do not try to show off, be direct and indicate what you need to happen succinctly.

Look people in the eye.

A low volume with a "business tone" and a "3000 psi stare" can be much more effective then yelling.

Mind if I borrow that?

Eclipse

All yours - those come from two Lt Cols (1 Army, 1 USAF) for whom I have a lot of respect and who practice what they preach.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2012, 08:37:53 PM
Think before you speak.

Look people in the eye.

+1  A command "presence" is at least as important as the command voice. Ever form a first impression about someone, based on how they present themselves?

It can be "wow, he/she really has their stuff together" ... or not.

coudano

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 17, 2012, 08:10:54 PM

1) Loudness
2) Projection
3) Distinctness
4) Inflection
5) Snap

These are what you need per AFMAN36-2203 for your command voice.  Also when you call your commands you give a slight pause between the prepatory andthe execution commands.  And make sure you are projecting from the diaphram and not your throat.

Don't forget 6) Cadence, and you're good.

abdsp51

Quote from: coudano on July 17, 2012, 09:02:08 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 17, 2012, 08:10:54 PM

1) Loudness
2) Projection
3) Distinctness
4) Inflection
5) Snap

Don't forget 6) Cadence, and you're good.

Per AFMAN cadence is not a characteristic it is the measure or beat of the movement  AFMAN 36-2203 2.4.1 for cadence and 2.3 for voice characteristics. 

coudano

Hmm, yeah i'll buy that.
I always thought of cadence as included with the others, but it certainly is a different section from the chracteristics.

Probably because of the intro paragraph:  "It is given in a tone, cadence, and snap that demand a willing, correct, and immediate response. "

CadetColonelToBe

Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

AngelWings

The best advice (other than be yourself) is to practice. Your voice needs, I repeat, needs to be heard by everyone you are in command of whie you are marching. The only problem I have with girl flight sergeants is when they try to overcompensate for not being as loud (in their minds) as a man, so they yell so loud and high pitched my ears bleed or I can't even hear them (much like a dog whistle). Listen to male and female drill sergeants, instructors, MTI's, and whatever the Navy and Coast Guard call their military training instructors. They are not loud, they are commanding and stern voice that is clear and concise.

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: AngelWings on July 18, 2012, 03:29:28 AM
The best advice (other than be yourself) is to practice. Your voice needs, I repeat, needs to be heard by everyone you are in command of whie you are marching. The only problem I have with girl flight sergeants is when they try to overcompensate for not being as loud (in their minds) as a man, so they yell so loud and high pitched my ears bleed or I can't even hear them (much like a dog whistle). Listen to male and female drill sergeants, instructors, MTI's, and whatever the Navy and Coast Guard call their military training instructors. They are not loud, they are commanding and stern voice that is clear and concise.
thanks i just want people to take me seriously when I'm drilling a flight.

SarDragon

Other sources for info on voice control are the choir folks, and the drama club. They have similar issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: CadetColonielToBe on July 18, 2012, 03:35:53 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on July 18, 2012, 03:29:28 AM
thanks i just want people to take me seriously when I'm drilling a flight.
The command voice is the least of your worries. I was a Flight Sgt. just a few weeks ago, ending a few month streak as one, and now I am deputy commander. The best way of being taken seriously is to earn the respect of who you are drilling. Respect comes with time, and discipline. Hopefully you do not have any sexist men in your unit, and (as a guy who takes human rights and respect very seriously) if you do, tell them to stop the attitude, and if they do not, then go to a Senior immediately (I would say go through the CoC, but sexism is not well corrected by other cadets, and the matter is extremely serious).

If you want some tips on earning respect from your flight, message me.

EMT-83

The very first CAP cadet I met was female, the Cadet CC. She stood not quite five feet tall, and made no attempt to sound like a drill sergeant. There was, however, absolutely no question as to who was in charge.

AngelWings

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 18, 2012, 11:52:01 PM
The very first CAP cadet I met was female, the Cadet CC. She stood not quite five feet tall, and made no attempt to sound like a drill sergeant. There was, however, absolutely no question as to who was in charge.
They are the preachers and teachers of their services C&C and D&C, among many other things. They are supposed to represent their services cadence and command voice (with maybe exception given to the USMC).

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

I have often tried to explain the command voice to cadets having trouble getting it this way;

Think of your mom, yelling up the stairs, for you to get downstairs NOW for some reason.
That quality that makes you cringe or even wakes you up from being asleep, or makes you cringe or even wince a little...
(some moms are better at this than others, eh  so experience may vary)
Even if YOUR mom doesn't do this, you have probably heard it somewhere else, at some other time...

But if you think about the clarity of that voice in terms of  loudness, projection, distinctiveness, inflection, snap (and cadence) it IS the command voice...  And it's not "male" at all.

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: coudano on July 19, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
I have often tried to explain the command voice to cadets having trouble getting it this way;

Think of your mom, yelling up the stairs, for you to get downstairs NOW for some reason.
That quality that makes you cringe or even wakes you up from being asleep, or makes you cringe or even wince a little...
(some moms are better at this than others, eh  so experience may vary)
Even if YOUR mom doesn't do this, you have probably heard it somewhere else, at some other time...

But if you think about the clarity of that voice in terms of  loudness, projection, distinctiveness, inflection, snap (and cadence) it IS the command voice...  And it's not "male" at all.
Thanks never thought of that. =)

Danger

Another thing- MAKE SURE cadets can understand you. I was once drilled by someone and I had no idea what he was saying. It's no fun for anyone, make sure what you say is understandable.
"Never take anything too seriously."

abdsp51

It's called distinction and was posted earlier in the thread.

AngelWings

Quote from: Danger on July 23, 2012, 04:21:23 PM
Another thing- MAKE SURE cadets can understand you. I was once drilled by someone and I had no idea what he was saying. It's no fun for anyone, make sure what you say is understandable.
That's how it suppose to be! Ever hear the Marines call cadence? Or a MTI who lost his/her voice?

coudano

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2012, 04:50:20 PM

distinctiveness i think is what you are going for here

coudano

QuoteEver hear the Marines call cadence?

yeh they sing it like a song, don't they

QuoteOr a MTI who lost his/her voice?

yep.  we did a lot of push ups while he was too tired to yell :)

abdsp51

Quote from: coudano on July 23, 2012, 09:53:25 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2012, 04:50:20 PM

distinctiveness i think is what you are going for here

Yeah that's what I was going for.

Major Lord

I can't remember the number of times I have attended a BCS, encampment, etc. and had the entire staff croaking like frogs after the first day- you can "burn" your vocal cords out, and no spit, do some serious damage to your voice by just shrieking for hours at a time. This type of vocal projection needs training and coaching by a qualified person. You could spend the rest of your life sounding like Clint Eastwood on 5 packs of Marlboroughs a day if you walk in to an activity fresh, never having trained your voice beforehand. Kind of like boots: You don't wear brand new ones to an activity where you know in advance you are going to use them in earnest! The command voice is used for behavioral conditioning (brain washing) so the animal (cadet) being trained clearly understands when an action needs to take place, and will excute that action as an automatic reflex to the command. If your command voice changes during the day due to vocal fatigue, the animals being conditioned may not respond to your voice. Don't push beyond your limits. Also, don't let your emotions be the source or sustenance of your command voice. By this I mean, the adolescent brain is easily pushed into the state you start out feigning. If you act angry, in other words, you will start to feel angry. Professionalism stems from being able to sound like you may very well eat their liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti, but being able to deliver the message while remaining inwardly calm at all times. The command voice is not simply a function of volume.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

AngelWings

Quote from: Major Lord on July 24, 2012, 02:26:20 AM
I can't remember the number of times I have attended a BCS, encampment, etc. and had the entire staff croaking like frogs after the first day- you can "burn" your vocal cords out, and no spit, do some serious damage to your voice by just shrieking for hours at a time. This type of vocal projection needs training and coaching by a qualified person. You could spend the rest of your life sounding like Clint Eastwood on 5 packs of Marlboroughs a day if you walk in to an activity fresh, never having trained your voice beforehand. Kind of like boots: You don't wear brand new ones to an activity where you know in advance you are going to use them in earnest! The command voice is used for behavioral conditioning (brain washing) so the animal (cadet) being trained clearly understands when an action needs to take place, and will excute that action as an automatic reflex to the command. If your command voice changes during the day due to vocal fatigue, the animals being conditioned may not respond to your voice. Don't push beyond your limits. Also, don't let your emotions be the source or sustenance of your command voice. By this I mean, the adolescent brain is easily pushed into the state you start out feigning. If you act angry, in other words, you will start to feel angry. Professionalism stems from being able to sound like you may very well eat their liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti, but being able to deliver the message while remaining inwardly calm at all times. The command voice is not simply a function of volume.

Major Lord
Very well said.

Garibaldi

Quote from: AngelWings on July 24, 2012, 02:28:17 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on July 24, 2012, 02:26:20 AM

Major Lord
Very well said.

I scared the living crap out of the seniors one night. I needed to announce GT training and instead of wasting time with falling out and going to the front of the formation, I bellowed out the information in my best command voice. People 75 yards away heard me and the chaplain, who was standing next to me, told me I cleared out his ears. I learned after my 4th encampment that yelling will rip apart your vocal chords after the first day or two. That was the first year I was on staff, so I really learned my lesson.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things