Term of Address for a C/CMSgt serving as First Sergeant?

Started by titanII, November 26, 2011, 02:21:50 AM

titanII

Hey, all. I had a "what-if" type of question.
If there were a C/CMSgt serving as First Sergeant at the squadron (not at Encampment), how would you address him/her? As "Chief" or as "First Sergeant?" I guess I'm a bit confused because at Encampment our Group First Sergeant was addressed as "Command Chief." My guess is "First Sergeant," but...
Thanks for the help
No longer active on CAP talk

Daniel

Quote from: titanII on November 26, 2011, 02:21:50 AM
Hey, all. I had a "what-if" type of question.
If there were a C/CMSgt serving as First Sergeant at the squadron (not at Encampment), how would you address him/her? As "Chief" or as "First Sergeant?" I guess I'm a bit confused because at Encampment our Group First Sergeant was addressed as "Command Chief." My guess is "First Sergeant," but...
Thanks for the help

Because of the wear of the first sergeant diamond he/she would be addressed as "First Sergeant"

they would not be command chief because that is symbolized by a star and to the best of my knowledge is authorized no where in the cadet progrM.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Extremepredjudice

It would be 1st. Sergeant. Your rank is moot if you are wearing the diamond.

I don't think command sergeant is authorized, either.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

coudano

Call him Shirt!

Quote from: titanII on November 26, 2011, 02:21:50 AM
I guess I'm a bit confused because at Encampment our Group First Sergeant was addressed as "Command Chief."

Command Chief is another "duty identifier", it's not authorized in any CAP publications, but you will see it sometimes in an encampment manual.  In the USAF, there is a Command Chief at the Wing and higher level.  Obviously you have to be a Chief (pay grade E9) to be a command chief (staff position).

Whereas any Senior NCO (MSgt-CMSgt) can be a first sergeant (typically at the squadron level)
You'll see first shirts at the group level too, sometimes.

titanII

I see. Just as I suspected!  :D.
Thanks for the feedback, everybody
No longer active on CAP talk

davidsinn

Call him/her Chief. First Sergeant is a position not a title.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

I'm not sure why any encampment would have a "Command Chief."  I would argue that the encampment is set up as a Cadet Training GROUP, not a wing.  It would seem odd to have the "Cadet Training Wing" report to "Nebraska Wing."  Therefore, the Chief with the diamond should be a First Sergeant, in all cases.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RobertAmphibian

Definitely as Chief. In the C&C pamphlet, it says pretty bluntly that cadets are to be addressed by grade. Nowhere in our regulations is anything that suggests that we should address First Sergeants as "First Sergeant."

coudano

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 26, 2011, 03:17:38 AM
I'm not sure why any encampment would have a "Command Chief."  I would argue that the encampment is set up as a Cadet Training GROUP, not a wing.  It would seem odd to have the "Cadet Training Wing" report to "Nebraska Wing."  Therefore, the Chief with the diamond should be a First Sergeant, in all cases.

There have been CTW's out there...

Minimally speaking, I suppose 2 groups,
4 squadrons,
8 flights,

7 cadets per flight would be 56 basics
31 "line" staff plus an XO and support staff...

That seems a little silly, but not infeasible.
That same line and support staff structure could accommodate up to 384 basic cadets...

The cadet training structure is all subordinate to the encampment commander, which falls under the 'wing commander'
It's not like the CTG 'group commander' reports to the 'wing commander' like that

Al Sayre

Per CAPP-151 pg 15:

• Cadets address fellow cadet airmen and NCOs by grade and last
name (ie: Airman Curry, Sergeant Arnold).
• Cadets address cadet officers and senior members by grade or as
"Sir" or "Ma'am."
• Senior members may address cadets by grade or simply by the
noble title, "Cadet."
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on November 26, 2011, 02:51:47 AM
+1

For all those cadets who demand that they be called "First Sergeant"....I make them refer to me by my duty positions......."Good Afternoon Operations Officers!"

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on November 26, 2011, 06:09:50 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on November 26, 2011, 02:51:47 AM
+1

For all those cadets who demand that they be called "First Sergeant"....I make them refer to me by my duty positions......."Good Afternoon Operations Officers!"

Oh my God! There's more than one of you! >:D

Spaceman3750

I think a cadet who addressed me by my duty position would run out of air and pass out before he finished.

lordmonar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 26, 2011, 10:21:30 PM
I think a cadet who addressed me by my duty position would run out of air and pass out before he finished.
I don't know....those little buggers have got some lungs on them!  >:D

RobertAmphibian

I mean, I know that a lot of people would like to defer to the practice of the Air Force...too bad the regs are too easy to read here.

lordmonar

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on November 26, 2011, 10:27:33 PM
I mean, I know that a lot of people would like to defer to the practice of the Air Force...too bad the regs are too easy to read here.
In my 22 years on AD I never addressed my first sergeant as "frist sergeant".  It was always sir, or chief.....maybe shirt.....but never "First Sergeant".

RobertAmphibian

Ah, I guess another "this is the way the real military does it" myth has slipped into the Cadet Program...I can't tell you the number of times I've heard that as an excuse for addressing cadets as "First Sergeant."

Spaceman3750

Our first sergeant seems adamant about saluting our cadet commander who is junior in grade to him (long story).

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 26, 2011, 10:47:18 PM
Our first sergeant seems adamant about saluting our cadet commander who is junior in grade to him (long story).
So the Cadet Commander is a NCO? ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Short Field

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on November 26, 2011, 10:44:46 PM
Ah, I guess another "this is the way the real military does it" myth has slipped into the Cadet Program...I can't tell you the number of times I've heard that as an excuse for addressing cadets as "First Sergeant."
Cross service pollution from members of other services who join CAP and then try to make the auxiliary of the USAF match what they had in the USA/USN/USMC etc.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640