Cadet hazing

Started by CAPAviator, October 27, 2011, 12:03:01 AM

CAPAviator

I have a question for everybody concerned about cadet hazing and abuse....

There has been hazing within my former unit by the DCC for years. Several cadets have suffered emotional trama such as nightmares containing physical treatment by their DCC and his associates. Another cadet has panic attacks on each meeting day as a result of how he has been treated. The DCC has threatened to kill anyone who messes with his cadets, yet he is the one abusing them. Corporate headquaters has been informed yet nothing was done. It was all covered up. The unit commander and wing commander have done nothing. CAP regulations are clear that these people should have at least been suspended, but never were. It all reminds me of the sexual abuse covered up by the catholic church.

Is hazing truly what cadet programs are all about? Is it boot camp for kids? Should an adult yell at and tear off the head of a 12 year old? Does it build character? Will it prepare them for the military?

What would you do? Ignore this and move on? Is this how CAP is for these kids? 

lordmonar

With no details to go on.

If you think a CPP violation has take place you notify the commander.  If he does nothing then you go up the chain.

You stated that that has already take place.....so what's missing?

Are you saying that a valid complain was properly lodged against a commander the wing, region and national commanders all where given the information and then took no action what so ever?  Or are you saying a complain was lodge, investigation completed and no action to your likeing was taken.

I really can't beleive that in todays CAP a valid complaint was not followed up on and appropriate actions taken.  I may be wrong....but with out further information.....there's not a lot we can do.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

:o   :o  Thats some serious allegations. Having been on witness to shenanigans that were definitely politically weighted by retaliation for enforcing standards and consistency, but .. Wow. Something as blatant as this, I'd imagine would be really hard to bury.

OTOH.. if you get no satisfaction at one level of command, find the next one up. There's only three or four before you find them all. In some cases, you're just 1 or 2 away from the top.

Eclipse

As a member you are bound by regulations to report hazing and cadet abuse immediately.

With that said, I have my doubts about the kind of behavior you indicate being able to exist in shadow with no one saying anything.  Cadets have parents, and most complain when decs are a day late, let alone the kinds of things you allege.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPAviator

It was reported. The mother of the first cadet quit a few weeks ago because nothing was done to the adult that enstilled nightmares into her child. This went to wing and NHQ. The cadet submitted a written statement of what he had endured for several years. The unit commander stated he felt the cadets suffer from Stockholm Syndrome yet he denied any abuse was the reason the DCC was demoted. What DCC gets removed from his command overnight for no reason??

You talk about the obligation by regulation to report abuse? Well, regulation is clear that anyone acused of abuse should be suspended. All that happened was he was removed a DCC, placed as advisor to commander for all matters cadet related. He still works with the cadets in the same matter as before and rumor is his seeks to regain his title as DCC.

Curt LaFond at NHQ was notified, Wing Command was notified, the Wing IG was notified.

One cadet suffers panic attacks each week before meetings. His mother never knew her child was suffering.

You all seem to think its hard to hide. Well it's real. The first cadet drafted an email to NHQ and the General herself. Explaining that this DCC is a plague that needed to be dealt with. Nothing has been done. CAP is a disgrace to its mission and purpose!! I puke at an organization that covers up child abuse!!

CAPAviator

And, yes, an investigation was done. And it's not a matter of if the result was to my liking. It's about was is right. You all can decide for yourself, should an adult that treats kids like they're in military boot camp be allowed to continue to influence them? Should an adult take a 14 year old and throw them up against the wall and scream and yell at them like a drill sgt. in the marines? These are the questions that needs to be answered.

Curt LaFond, cadet programs at NHQ described the treatment reported by these cadets as hazing. Yet after consulting with NHQ legal, the DCC acused by these cadets still works closely with them. 

Of course, how can CAP admit something is wrong?? They can't.

lordmonar

Well you are putting us into an information vacumn.

If you want real advice you have to give real details.

If you want to make an acusation about a cover up....the National IG and the BoG is the place to go.  You can get their phone number and e-mail address from E-services.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPAviator

Here is an email which one of the cadets sent to NHQ:

To whom it may concern,

I am a cadet from ****** Squadron. My only part in this unpleasant episode regarding the inappropriate behavior by Capt. ****** has consisted only in relating facts when they have been requested of me. I have served with Capt. ****** for more than five years and can affirm that everything you have heard about this officer up to now is completely 100% true.
The removal of Capt. ****** from the position as Commandant of Cadets was a good step, but this officer has still been approaching cadets and has been actively seeking to regain some of the responsibilities he formerly held. I strongly request that ex-CAP member ******* messages are taken seriously; Capt. ****** and his clique have reflected very poorly on CAP.
I have not been asked to make this statement. This is sent purely out of my own frustration at what has been an ongoing problem for my unit that could potentially go on plaguing us indefinitely unless it is addressed.

I request anonymity,
A long serving ********* Cadet

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPAviator on October 27, 2011, 12:52:11 AMWhat DCC gets removed from his command overnight for no reason?

A DCC CDC is not "in command", and they leave all the time for various reasons, up to and including the reality that being falsly accusing of abuse is more trouble than it is worth to stick around.

What is your expectation from airing this here?

No one on this board can make a real determination because we are not privy to the situation, nor the supposed investigation.

Mr. LaFond would not make a public statement about an investigation, and it is further doubtful that anything he felt was "hazing"
would be allowed to stand.  having someone ask him a general question about the supposed behavior is not the same as his commenting
about a specific investigation (which would break quite a few regs).

Interesting in the alleged cadet note - there is no such position at the Squadron Level called "Commandant", so that puts some doubt as
to the veracity of the complaint.

Further, there is a specific procedure to hazing and abuse complaints, and they don't include sending a random note to "NHQ".

Refer to 52-16 and 52-10 for details on the proper procedure in hazing and abuse complaints.

"That Others May Zoom"

CATS

We went to the national IG regarding hazing and hostile environment at the A-xxx, it was finally placed with regional IG. I feel that the National IG cared, but even his hands are tied, There just seems to be nothing that CAP will do to correct these matters.  The regional IG suggested that we just move on.  We were asked not to judge the whole CAP program based on the events at the A-xxx.  I told her how can I do anything else but judge the whole CAP program since regional and even national will not correct a situation where ther is hazing by a DCC and the DCC's  children who are allowed to run wild over the squadron. 

Eclipse

It's a little late to sanitize things - but your unit is also in your screen name...

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

The Deputy IG(NHQ) is on this forum, he might see this.

QuoteRefer to 52-16 and 52-10 for details on the proper procedure in hazing and abuse complaints.
Also, CAPR123-2

QuoteInteresting in the alleged cadet note - there is no such position at the Squadron Level called "Commandant", so that puts some doubt as
to the veracity of the complaint.
Local terminology? preference?  ???

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

CAPAviator

Yes "Eclipse", the cadet spelled commander wrong, it's not a spelling bee. But that should not void his accusations.

And "Linda", it's nice to hear another example of NHQ ignoring cadets abuses. At least we can ascertain CAP's position in these two examples.

Daniel

Heres my thing,

Why would the cadets stay in a unit like that ?

I've been in CAP for around 2.5 years now and I can truly say if any of my squadrons senior members lay hand on me, and nothing was done about it, I wouldn't come back.. oh, and as my dcc says "there's nothing worse than an angry parent". I am 18 years old and even now I would still probably tell my mother..

I wonder why your posting this here though.. We cannot do much to help you..
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

a2capt

Growing Paines perhaps? There is another side to every story. Perhaps someone has axes to grind because they don't agree with a decision..

CAPAviator

"Daniel L.", thanks for your input. I don't know that I seek an solution to the problem as much as I seek opinion. Only through this forum can this topic be understood.

As for asking why these cadets tolerate the abuse, read more about "Stockholm Syndrome", this term was actually brought up by the units commander. He believes the cadets suffer this. Now you may not tolerate abuse, but some people do. Children are abused all the time and never say a word. The cadet that wrote the email above actually told his mother. It was the mother that was so afraid of the DCC, she (a CAP member herself), never told anyone. Until she met me. Then she somehow felt comfortable talking to me about it. Then her son went on his own and reported it to the unit commander. Then another cadet came to me after hearing through the gossip line that I helped, I met with him and his mother. He had been abused also and never told his mother. She was pissed!!

Nothing gets fixed if ignored. These things need to be talked about. I need to learn from others in this forum, through discussion. It may not fix the problem, but it helps knowing other people care.

CATS

My son had to leave because of the conditions in the squadron, as others did as well.  We assumed that the situation would surely be corrected and my son and the others could return.  Apparently that is not going to happen.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPAviator on October 27, 2011, 01:59:20 AM
Yes "Eclipse", the cadet spelled commander wrong, it's not a spelling bee. But that should not void his accusations.

It means very little in the grand scheme, except that those little things tend to add up into larger misunderstandings about what may or or may not be hazing or even abuse.  Children get nightmares all the time and anything from turtles to Good Morning America, and in some cases they
have no structure or authority at home, and being told to "stand in line" with a period at the end of the sentence scares them.  That doesn't make it hazing or abuse.

Unless you want to forensically examine the entire situation, including your allegations of a white-wash, there is no way we can even determine what transpired, and to support Daniel, I would also ask what kind of parents would allow their children to participate in any situation for 2+ years where they
honestly believed their child was being harmed.

You still haven't told us what actually constituted the bad behavior.  The comments from the cadets alleged note point to disagreeing with the commander, which is where a lot of this kind of thing grows - everyone is happy until someone doesn't get the job they want, and then overnight
normal activity becomes "abuse".

Quote from: CAPAviator on October 27, 2011, 02:13:02 AMOnly through this forum can this topic be understood.
How do you figure?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

It seems to me that if there are instances of the senior member in question physically assaulting cadets during the meetings, there are grounds for legal recourse.  If the cadets have been allegedly abused to the point of having mental issues because of it, intervention with the local authorities may be in order.  In some states you would have a legal obligation to report the incident to local law enforcement.

Perhaps you should call your wing legal officer and get their advice on the course of action you should take.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Daniel

Quote from: CAPAviator on October 27, 2011, 02:13:02 AM
"Daniel L.", thanks for your input. I don't know that I seek an solution to the problem as much as I seek opinion. Only through this forum can this topic be understood.

As for asking why these cadets tolerate the abuse, read more about "Stockholm Syndrome", this term was actually brought up by the units commander. He believes the cadets suffer this. Now you may not tolerate abuse, but some people do. Children are abused all the time and never say a word. The cadet that wrote the email above actually told his mother. It was the mother that was so afraid of the DCC, she (a CAP member herself), never told anyone. Until she met me. Then she somehow felt comfortable talking to me about it. Then her son went in his own and reported it. Then another cadet came to me after hearing through the gossip line that I helped, I met with him and his mother. He had been abused also and never told his mother. She was pissed!!

Nothing gets fixed if ignored. These things need to be talked about. I need to learn from others in this forum, through discussion. It may not fix the problem, but it helps knowing other people care.

I think stockholm syndrome is being used wrong the DCC isn't holding the cadets hostage (I hope) they go home at night. They have a chance to get out.. The squadrons meetings are what 2 hours a week. SS builds up during like long times with a captor when your start believing his rhetoric.. If this were the case the cadet would need some serious persuasion to leave. Although I truly believe its not SS. 

Now with that being said you word your posts like the majority of cap members MUST believe that hazing is good. Frankly we don't... We work to prevent hazing all the time.. I have taken many a class on how to prevent it and in my 2 years have never seen it happen
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416