Is this Hazing?

Started by Starlock, June 18, 2011, 07:12:56 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 29, 2011, 12:26:23 AM
Couldn't the commander switch the rank with the CAP insignia?
If the cadet is supposed to lead a flight, let someone new have a turn.

Huh?

The reg says that you wear your earned grade. Period.

If someone needs to get out in front of a flight for a little leadership training/practice, then put them out there to strut their stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Exactly. Not even at encampment can you take away earned grade insignia.

At my encampment, I was a C/CMSgt. Still knew that I was a basic in authority.

I think what Extremeprejudice is thinking of is JROTC. Civil Air Patrol works much differently.

titanII

Quote from: DakRadz on August 29, 2011, 02:37:44 PM
At my Encampment, we basics were made to take our grade insignia off. It was done to further the idea of equality among basic cadets. After all, all basics were addressed as "cadet", not "chief," "airman," etc.
No longer active on CAP talk

Ron1319

Quote from: titanII on August 30, 2011, 12:06:33 AM
At my Encampment, we basics were made to take our grade insignia off. It was done to further the idea of equality among basic cadets. After all, all basics were addressed as "cadet", not "chief," "airman," etc.

Which is wrong, and strictly forbidden in the regulations.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

BillB

Ron.....Look at Tiotan II's grade. He's talking about the Old cadet program, not the current 52-16. Back then it was legal and logical for cadet basics at an encampment to remove grade. Onjly cadet staff wore grade insignia. That way all cadet basics were equal regardless if earned grade was C/CMSgt or C/airman. Cadets putr their esrned grade back on for the final banquet/dinner or pass-in-review.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Ron1319

Got it.  I didn't read past "Cadet" in the signature.  It was a transition from discretionary grade at encampment to wearing your grade in Ohio wing between my first and second encampments in '93 and '94.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

ßτε

Keep reading the signature. He is Cadet Donovan. He is a member of Lt Col Frank Pocher Minute Man Squadron. He was in Foxtrot Flight at the MAWG Basic Encampment 2011.

So as Ron pointed out, in 2011, that is a violation of current regulations.

Ron1319

Indeed.  I'm a bit distracted today.  My business has a really big deal on Living Social and we've sold about 250 so far.  My business partner and I are both rather obsessed with watching the number.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

DakRadz

Quote from: titanII on August 30, 2011, 12:06:33 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on August 29, 2011, 02:37:44 PM

Alright, I happen to know titanII is not from the "old cadet program" and is indeed a cadet from a 2011 encampment.

Now, for titanII's personal use, a direct quote from 52-16-
CAPR 52-16, Pg 18
Section 5-2, g. There are no temporary promotions or demotions,
including temporary or “field” promotions or demotions at encampments and other activities.  There
are no discretionary grades.  Cadets will wear their earned grade on their uniform at every CAP
activity

Emphasis mine.