Shuttle Run Tips

Started by AngelWings, February 23, 2011, 11:19:06 PM

tsrup

We use the shuttle run in the winter, and the mile in the summer. 

While officially we don't have any rules at the squadron dictating that, it's just how it ended up by practice.

The options are there year round, except for the resounding no for the mile run in the winter (safety), but if a cadet requests the shuttle run in the summer I will let them. 

Not that they know that..
sometimes they have to learn things for themselves.
Paramedic
hang-around.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Littleguy on February 23, 2011, 11:33:20 PM
Thank you, Sir! It means alot to me since I don't want to be the kid who never promoted in a whole year, and go to conference (MAWG wing) and badly represent my squadron and my fellow airmen.

... I didn't get promoted for a year.... and I don't badly represent my squadron... Who just so happens to be TX wing squadron of the year... I just hate the promo boards. Last time I spoke gibberish because I was so nervous.

AngelWings

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 25, 2011, 04:44:49 AM
Thank you, Sir! It means alot to me since I don't want to be the kid who never promoted in a whole year, and go to conference (MAWG wing) and badly represent my squadron and my fellow airmen.

... I didn't get promoted for a year.... and I don't badly represent my squadron... Who just so happens to be TX wing squadron of the year... I just hate the promo boards. Last time I spoke gibberish because I was so nervous.
Were you a C/Ab?

Spaceman3750

You'll get over the promotion board thing in due time. Though, if you plan on getting out into the "working world" anytime soon I would recommend you get over it sooner than later - job interviews, annual, and 6 month reviews can be more nerve-racking than any promotion board you'll find in CAP >:D.

AngelWings

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 25, 2011, 04:13:40 PM

You'll get over the promotion board thing in due time. Though, if you plan on getting out into the "working world" anytime soon I would recommend you get over it sooner than later - job interviews, annual, and 6 month reviews can be more nerve-racking than any promotion board you'll find in CAP >:D.
My squadron doesn't have a promotion board. I've already applied for Flight Sgt. and even though I didn't make it, I already learned to leave my nerve's at home.

AngelWings

I made it. I'm a Cadet Airman. Thank you for the advice everyone. I used it to good effect.

Major Carrales

Shuttle run requires a coordination of mind and body.  One has to reach a balance...can't over do the running without a mind to keep from over stepping.  Some people focus on being "fast" alone, without thinking as to how to make the transition from "this" way to "that." 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

coudano

Quote from: Littleguy on March 09, 2011, 03:21:15 AM
I made it. I'm a Cadet Airman. Thank you for the advice everyone. I used it to good effect.

Good job! Congratulations

Keep up the training though, the standards get harder after 3 more promotions
and on every birthday :)

MSG Mac

Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 12:22:06 AM
how is it you get that option, and i haven't heard anything about it? I am higher in the chain then you...
Every cadet should be familiar with the Cadet Programs Regulations and Manuals. Including the PT requirements. You actually get this information in the Cadet package you received when you joined. In addition you should periodically check the National HQ publications page to see if there are any changes to the regs effecting the cadet program or any other assignments you may have. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 09, 2011, 04:27:57 PM
Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 12:22:06 AM
how is it you get that option, and i haven't heard anything about it? I am higher in the chain then you...
Every cadet should be familiar with the Cadet Programs Regulations and Manuals. Including the PT requirements. You actually get this information in the Cadet package you received when you joined. In addition you should periodically check the National HQ publications page to see if there are any changes to the regs effecting the cadet program or any other assignments you may have.

They no longer send out the CD's with the binders. They were actually out of date before they arrived.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

I recommend trying to bait as many Senior Members into doing the shuttle run as possible, all the while asking for pointers from these seasoned, hard corp athletes, and encouraging them to do it over and over until you are "Sure you understand" how its supposed to be done....This way, you will be immune from pain since you will be too choked up with laughter to notice your skinned knees and aching muscles....

We took our best Cadet athletes and had them try the test two ways: 1) the "stop and grab" technique, and the 2)  "circular" technique. The circular technique ( Treating the course as an oval or figure eight) resulted in slower times for everyone, and I am not even sure its kosher. We found that shorter cadets could often outperform taller cadets in the shuttle run.  Squatting and pushing off while  retrieving the "shuttle" seemed to result in better scores than trying to bend over on the run.

Have a first aid kit nearby; there will be blood if you are not careful, or get to enthusiastic.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Heh, yup. I had one cadet get to the starting line just a minute or so after they bolted for the mile run, due to staff issues and I offered to give him an offset start time since I knew he'd get back before the last one even if he started 3-4 minutes in, he asked to try the shuttle run instead. Fine.. "you know where the color guard stuff is, get the measuring tape, cones and two somethings about the size of an eraser." 2 minutes later, it's out and as soon as I was done reading off the clock times for the runners passing the finish line I chose a spot in the parking lot, measured it, placed the cones and called it.

The first one was 9 seconds, straight runs- the second was 9.4, doing a slight oval thing. He said he even ran faster on the second one, which probably accounted for the small difference, but he did say it felt longer.

Two attempts, and still had plenty of time to fall in line for the sit and reach.

The threshold for him was 10 seconds, so mission accomplished. PT was all that was needed for the promotion. Third stripe pinned on the next week. 

Rowan

Quote from: Littleguy on March 09, 2011, 03:21:15 AM

Congratulations, Littleguy.     :clap:

Major Carrales

Oh...and one more thing...the SHUTTLE RUN HAS TO BE PRACTICED!!!

Its the only way to "learn" yourself; seed, endurance and aguilty alone are hinderances to it unless you know how to combine them in the shuttle run.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AngelWings

I was practicing in shorts(someone would have to hold a pistol to my head to make wear pt pants) in 17 degree weather in my neck of the woods. I practiced 5-6 times. No matter if I could only get 2 tries, I kept on practicing. A whole week of practicing pays off. It doesn't take too long. I always was slower on the first run, but the second run I always did better on. I also got on a diet (and have lost some weight, gained some height) and am looking and feeling thinner than ever.

Major Carrales

In many ways the shuttle run is harder than the mile, which stresses endurance, whereas the shuttle run has to do as I said earlier...combine endurance, agility and speed.  Many cadets want to do she shuttle run with little or no practice.

Commander
SWR-TX-454