Shuttle Run Tips

Started by AngelWings, February 23, 2011, 11:19:06 PM

AngelWings

OK. I have the opportunity next week to do a shuttle run. I've heard that it is difficult to do because you have to pick something up and run back, which I'm sure is the reason why it is a shuttle run. This is my small window of opportunity to pass my PT. Anyone have any tips to pass? I'm a great sprinter, and can hold up a good speed for about 20 seconds. Also, can someone tell me what you actually do during a shuttle run, thank you.

jimmydeanno

Here is the Cadet Physical Fitness Program Manual, the description of the shuttle run is in there, and the required time for you is on the last page.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_018_501C183A14D19.pdf

I'd pay attention to the turn around points, as those are where people usually lose most of their time.  Many people will do half-circles to turn around instead of pivoting and pushing off again.  Also consider deceleration time so you don't go too far past the line as you're trying to slow down to turn around.

Mark it out at home and do a few practice runs.

Good Luck.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AngelWings

Thank you, Sir! It means alot to me since I don't want to be the kid who never promoted in a whole year, and go to conference (MAWG wing) and badly represent my squadron and my fellow airmen.

coudano

Check out this thread
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14

Also note that 20 seconds is pretty much irrelevant to the shuttle run.
You need to be worried about the 9-12 second timeframe for the shuttle.

It's a lot less about speed running in a straight line.
It's more about starting, and changing direction quickly.

AngelWings

Quote from: coudano on February 23, 2011, 11:43:34 PM
Check out this thread
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14

Also note that 20 seconds is pretty much irrelevant to the shuttle run.
You need to be worried about the 9-12 second timeframe for the shuttle.

It's a lot less about speed running in a straight line.
It's more about starting, and changing direction quickly.
I understand that now.

a2capt

20 seconds at a time is more than enough, if you take that long running you're running too far for the shuttle. :)

The shuttle run is not all that simple as it may sound to some folks. It's not all that hard either, depending on how you look at it. But you have to be coordinated to do it efficiently and effectively.

You have to run, 'stop' while you turn around and reach down and grab the stick, bar, baton, whatever. While you don't skid out, wipe out, or travel past the cone, marker, etc, (thus wasting time or distance) and then bust a move again back in the other direction, put it down on the line, you can't throw it, it can't go flying past the starting line, etc. and then do it again. It's four 30 ft sprints, two retrievals and two placements. Some just keep running past the start line the second time, you need to put the object down next to the other as you pass.

A board eraser sized 2x4 chunk works well, or two pieces of PVC pipe. Standing on edge so they can be grabbed with an open hand.

Some issues are during the reach/swipe can be sending it flying. Practice running 30 feet and reaching down and grabbing a Coke bottle, and returning with it.

AngelWings

Thank you all for the tips! Tomorrow I can practice running the shuttle run!

SABRE17

how is it you get that option, and i haven't heard anything about it? I am higher in the chain then you...

davidsinn

Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 12:22:06 AM
how is it you get that option, and i haven't heard anything about it? I am higher in the chain then you...

Every cadet gets that option. It's in the regs. If you are denying a cadet that option then you are breaking the regs.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SABRE17

we've never done it in the two + years I've been in nor has it been officially offered...

davidsinn

Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 12:47:46 AM
we've never done it in the two + years I've been in nor has it been officially offered...

It needs to be if you have cadets that can't run the mile. Even my fat SM self can run the shuttle run under time. But I'd die if I tried to hit the mile time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 12:47:46 AM
SM DeGregorio asked Captain Flattery about it, and she said Flattery thought he might be able to set it up for me. It was originally meant for me to ask the COC, but she just asked right to the top. I certainly hope that it doesn't end up getting me in trouble for talking about something like that, seeing how it wasn't anything offical and quite possibly could of been more speculation and thinking than anything. Either way, I would have, and will in the case that we don't do it, asked infront of everyone. Anyways, just to sum up what I said, my mom (SM Degregorio) asked Captain Flattery about it and she relayed to me about how there is a good chance it will happen. 

SABRE17

I've e-mailed Capt. FLattery, he said it will not be next week but will be discussed next meeting, i might attempt it too seeing as i tripped and fell during the run and screwed up my time...

AngelWings

Quote from: SABRE17 on February 24, 2011, 01:17:50 AM
I've e-mailed Capt. FLattery, he said it will not be next week but will be discussed next meeting, i might attempt it too seeing as i tripped and fell during the run and screwed up my time...
Cool! You probably heard about me running around the rotary, I'm still at awe about that.

jimmydeanno

The original intent wasn't even to offer an event in the case that cadets have trouble running the mile.  The original intent was to offer a running event that could be done in the middle of winter or at units that don't have access to running areas like tracks or light traffic roads.  In the meantime, a lot of cadets have realized "Hey, I can avoid running the mile and only have to exert myself for 10 seconds."

I certainly prefer that my cadets run the mile because of the health benefits of longer periods of exercise.  I also don't like that the shuttle timing is so minute.  A small delay on a trigger push 1/10th second late and the cadet fails.  However, we do offer it at every CPFT and some cadets rely on it to pass.

It sounds to me that in this instance of it not being offered, that there are several layers of oversight that haven't brushed up on what is, or isn't allowed/ how the program runs.  I expect that all of my C/NCOs have a working knowledge of the 52-18, 52-16, 39-1, etc because they are not only participating in the programs, but implementing them as well.  How can one teach a cadet how to get promoted without knowing that one of the events even exists?  How does one know what goals they have to set for their workout routines without knowing where the standards are?  C/NCOs should certainly possess this knowledge.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

coudano

if you want to go the extra mile (ha, punny!), and probably impress your leadership;
go ahead and get the things needed for a shuttle run yourself, and have them ready up-front

Here's what you'll need:
1.  Something to measure out 30 feet (like a tape measure)
2.  Some chalkboard eraser sized blocks (we used a 2x6 board sawed off and wrapped duct tape around it)
3.  Something to mark start and finish lines (we use 4 orange cones)
4.  A stopwatch (preferrably an athletic one, not a wristwatch, but the wristwatch WILL work)

Now there is really no excuse not to do the shuttle...
it doesn't even take much time (all of our shuttle cadets finish the shuttle in about the same time that it takes all the mile cadets to run a mile)  It does take an extra person to run the stopwatch at the extra event, i guess

AngelWings

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 24, 2011, 01:25:58 AM
The original intent wasn't even to offer an event in the case that cadets have trouble running the mile.  The original intent was to offer a running event that could be done in the middle of winter or at units that don't have access to running areas like tracks or light traffic roads.  In the meantime, a lot of cadets have realized "Hey, I can avoid running the mile and only have to exert myself for 10 seconds."

I certainly prefer that my cadets run the mile because of the health benefits of longer periods of exercise.  I also don't like that the shuttle timing is so minute.  A small delay on a trigger push 1/10th second late and the cadet fails.  However, we do offer it at every CPFT and some cadets rely on it to pass.

It sounds to me that in this instance of it not being offered, that there are several layers of oversight that haven't brushed up on what is, or isn't allowed/ how the program runs.  I expect that all of my C/NCOs have a working knowledge of the 52-18, 52-16, 39-1, etc because they are not only participating in the programs, but implementing them as well.  How can one teach a cadet how to get promoted without knowing that one of the events even exists?  How does one know what goals they have to set for their workout routines without knowing where the standards are?  C/NCOs should certainly possess this knowledge.
It has been talked about with us, not in detail, but was not given has an option. Main reason being cadets failing it. I'm not saying this in defense for anyone but I do love my squadron and would break my own leg to protect the well being of it.
Also, I run every other day, trying to build up strength for every day a mile and a quarter, on the Cape Cod Canal. Only reason I'm saying this is just in case you were saying that I avoid running and giving it my 100 all the time.

AngelWings

Quote from: coudano on February 24, 2011, 01:51:16 AM
if you want to go the extra mile (ha, punny!), and probably impress your leadership;
go ahead and get the things needed for a shuttle run yourself, and have them ready up-front

Here's what you'll need:
1.  Something to measure out 30 feet (like a tape measure)
2.  Some chalkboard eraser sized blocks (we used a 2x6 board sawed off and wrapped duct tape around it)
3.  Something to mark start and finish lines (we use 4 orange cones)
4.  A stopwatch (preferrably an athletic one, not a wristwatch, but the wristwatch WILL work)

Now there is really no excuse not to do the shuttle...
it doesn't even take much time (all of our shuttle cadets finish the shuttle in about the same time that it takes all the mile cadets to run a mile)  It does take an extra person to run the stopwatch at the extra event, i guess
Going to set it up tommorow! Luckily enough I got all of the supplies, and probably going to have nothing better to do tommorow, so I'll set it up. Would it be a good idea to time myself, or should I drag along my parents to help?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Littleguy on February 24, 2011, 01:52:56 AMOnly reason I'm saying this is just in case you were saying that I avoid running and giving it my 100 all the time.

Nope, I wasn't dogging on you at all.  I was saying that there are cadets who try to avoid physical fitness by all means and see the shuttle as an opportunity to not have to really do PT.  I was just expressing my personal preference for cadets to not do it if possible because of:

1) The difficulty to get an accurate time, when 10ths of a second count.

2) The lack of physical activity needed to actually take the test (in reality, it is difficult to pass because of the need to be quick and agile, which requires significant running)

I just think that the mile is a better event, all around.

AngelWings

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 24, 2011, 02:14:39 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on February 24, 2011, 01:52:56 AMOnly reason I'm saying this is just in case you were saying that I avoid running and giving it my 100 all the time.

Nope, I wasn't dogging on you at all.  I was saying that there are cadets who try to avoid physical fitness by all means and see the shuttle as an opportunity to not have to really do PT.  I was just expressing my personal preference for cadets to not do it if possible because of:

1) The difficulty to get an accurate time, when 10ths of a second count.

2) The lack of physical activity needed to actually take the test (in reality, it is difficult to pass because of the need to be quick and agile, which requires significant running)

I just think that the mile is a better event, all around.
Understood. I agree, the mile is a better event. It is more practical to the real world and it ultimately is what is going to matter. I only see it has a tool for promoting and to hold things over for when I'm able to pass the mile.

tsrup

We use the shuttle run in the winter, and the mile in the summer. 

While officially we don't have any rules at the squadron dictating that, it's just how it ended up by practice.

The options are there year round, except for the resounding no for the mile run in the winter (safety), but if a cadet requests the shuttle run in the summer I will let them. 

Not that they know that..
sometimes they have to learn things for themselves.
Paramedic
hang-around.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Littleguy on February 23, 2011, 11:33:20 PM
Thank you, Sir! It means alot to me since I don't want to be the kid who never promoted in a whole year, and go to conference (MAWG wing) and badly represent my squadron and my fellow airmen.

... I didn't get promoted for a year.... and I don't badly represent my squadron... Who just so happens to be TX wing squadron of the year... I just hate the promo boards. Last time I spoke gibberish because I was so nervous.

AngelWings

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 25, 2011, 04:44:49 AM

... I didn't get promoted for a year.... and I don't badly represent my squadron... Who just so happens to be TX wing squadron of the year... I just hate the promo boards. Last time I spoke gibberish because I was so nervous.
Were you a C/Ab?

Spaceman3750

You'll get over the promotion board thing in due time. Though, if you plan on getting out into the "working world" anytime soon I would recommend you get over it sooner than later - job interviews, annual, and 6 month reviews can be more nerve-racking than any promotion board you'll find in CAP >:D.

AngelWings

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 25, 2011, 04:13:40 PM

You'll get over the promotion board thing in due time. Though, if you plan on getting out into the "working world" anytime soon I would recommend you get over it sooner than later - job interviews, annual, and 6 month reviews can be more nerve-racking than any promotion board you'll find in CAP >:D.
My squadron doesn't have a promotion board. I've already applied for Flight Sgt. and even though I didn't make it, I already learned to leave my nerve's at home.

AngelWings

I made it. I'm a Cadet Airman. Thank you for the advice everyone. I used it to good effect.

Major Carrales

Shuttle run requires a coordination of mind and body.  One has to reach a balance...can't over do the running without a mind to keep from over stepping.  Some people focus on being "fast" alone, without thinking as to how to make the transition from "this" way to "that." 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

coudano

Quote from: Littleguy on March 09, 2011, 03:21:15 AM
I made it. I'm a Cadet Airman. Thank you for the advice everyone. I used it to good effect.

Good job! Congratulations

Keep up the training though, the standards get harder after 3 more promotions
and on every birthday :)

MSG Mac

Every cadet should be familiar with the Cadet Programs Regulations and Manuals. Including the PT requirements. You actually get this information in the Cadet package you received when you joined. In addition you should periodically check the National HQ publications page to see if there are any changes to the regs effecting the cadet program or any other assignments you may have. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 09, 2011, 04:27:57 PM
Every cadet should be familiar with the Cadet Programs Regulations and Manuals. Including the PT requirements. You actually get this information in the Cadet package you received when you joined. In addition you should periodically check the National HQ publications page to see if there are any changes to the regs effecting the cadet program or any other assignments you may have.

They no longer send out the CD's with the binders. They were actually out of date before they arrived.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

I recommend trying to bait as many Senior Members into doing the shuttle run as possible, all the while asking for pointers from these seasoned, hard corp athletes, and encouraging them to do it over and over until you are "Sure you understand" how its supposed to be done....This way, you will be immune from pain since you will be too choked up with laughter to notice your skinned knees and aching muscles....

We took our best Cadet athletes and had them try the test two ways: 1) the "stop and grab" technique, and the 2)  "circular" technique. The circular technique ( Treating the course as an oval or figure eight) resulted in slower times for everyone, and I am not even sure its kosher. We found that shorter cadets could often outperform taller cadets in the shuttle run.  Squatting and pushing off while  retrieving the "shuttle" seemed to result in better scores than trying to bend over on the run.

Have a first aid kit nearby; there will be blood if you are not careful, or get to enthusiastic.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Heh, yup. I had one cadet get to the starting line just a minute or so after they bolted for the mile run, due to staff issues and I offered to give him an offset start time since I knew he'd get back before the last one even if he started 3-4 minutes in, he asked to try the shuttle run instead. Fine.. "you know where the color guard stuff is, get the measuring tape, cones and two somethings about the size of an eraser." 2 minutes later, it's out and as soon as I was done reading off the clock times for the runners passing the finish line I chose a spot in the parking lot, measured it, placed the cones and called it.

The first one was 9 seconds, straight runs- the second was 9.4, doing a slight oval thing. He said he even ran faster on the second one, which probably accounted for the small difference, but he did say it felt longer.

Two attempts, and still had plenty of time to fall in line for the sit and reach.

The threshold for him was 10 seconds, so mission accomplished. PT was all that was needed for the promotion. Third stripe pinned on the next week. 

Rowan

Quote from: Littleguy on March 09, 2011, 03:21:15 AM

Congratulations, Littleguy.     :clap:

Major Carrales

Oh...and one more thing...the SHUTTLE RUN HAS TO BE PRACTICED!!!

Its the only way to "learn" yourself; seed, endurance and aguilty alone are hinderances to it unless you know how to combine them in the shuttle run.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AngelWings

I was practicing in shorts(someone would have to hold a pistol to my head to make wear pt pants) in 17 degree weather in my neck of the woods. I practiced 5-6 times. No matter if I could only get 2 tries, I kept on practicing. A whole week of practicing pays off. It doesn't take too long. I always was slower on the first run, but the second run I always did better on. I also got on a diet (and have lost some weight, gained some height) and am looking and feeling thinner than ever.

Major Carrales

In many ways the shuttle run is harder than the mile, which stresses endurance, whereas the shuttle run has to do as I said earlier...combine endurance, agility and speed.  Many cadets want to do she shuttle run with little or no practice.

Commander
SWR-TX-454