do you need to pass everything to pass pt?

Started by ElectricPenguin, January 27, 2011, 07:24:37 AM

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

If you are classified as Category I - to pass PT, you need to pass the "run plus two out of three.". So, you need to do the mile or shuttle run in the allotted time, and meet at least two of the remaining three categories.

Or, another way - You need to pass three out of four events, and one of them MUST be the running.

If you fail one, you must retest the whole thing.

CAPR 52-18 is where you want to look.

SarDragon

You seem to be asking a lot of Qs on here that should be answered by your local unit members. Is there any particular reason for asking here, instead of there?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Quote from: a2capt on January 27, 2011, 07:50:28 AM
Or, another way - You need to pass three out of four events, and one of them MUST be the running.

Sort of...
You can not, however, do this:
Shuttle(pass)   Mile(pass)  Push Ups (pass) Curl Up (fail)

That's 3 out of 4 with at least one being a run.

QuoteIf you fail one, you must retest the whole thing.

If you fail a CPFT you must re-test the whole thing.
It's possible to fail an event and still pass the overall CPFT.

Infact it's possible to fail 2 events and still pass overall, like this:

Shuttle (fail)    Mile (pass)   Pushup (pass)  Curl Up (fail)  SitReach (pass)

There, you failed 2 events, but still passed overall
Run + 2/3.

QuoteCAPR 52-18 is where you want to look.

concur!

**Also if you are in fitness category 2 or 3 (temporary or permanent restriction from event/s) any events that you are restricted from are automatically considered to be "passed" (even though you did not attempt that exercise due to medical restriction).  However, you can not advance past a milestone award in cat 2/3.

ßτε

Quote from: coudano on January 27, 2011, 11:15:20 AM
**Also if you are in fitness category 2 or 3 (temporary or permanent restriction from event/s) any events that you are restricted from are automatically considered to be "passed" (even though you did not attempt that exercise due to medical restriction).  However, you can not advance past a milestone award in cat 2/3.
Actually, it is only Category II which is restricted from earning milestone awards. There is no such restriction for Category III or Category IV.

arajca

Category I - no restrictions
Category II - temporary restrictions (partial or full)
Category III - partial permenant restriction
Category IV - permenant full restriction

a2capt

QuoteYou can not, however, do this:
Shuttle(pass)   Mile(pass)  Push Ups (pass) Curl Up (fail)
I neglected to add that the shuttle run or mile run are an either/or event, and can't be used in unison as 'two of the four'. You get to choose one or the other, or do both if you wish, but only one pass counts towards passing. So save the energy for the other events.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: arajca on January 27, 2011, 02:49:18 PM
Category I - no restrictions
Category II - temporary restrictions (partial or full)
Category III - partial permenant restriction
Category IV - permenant full restriction

Which I think is quite fair. You don't get a pass on milestones for a temporary condition. If your shoulder is permanently trashed you get a pass on push ups but still do the run, etc. 
I was happy to see this change to the CPFT when I returned to CAP as a senior member.  WIWAC,  I learned my commander was denied a chance at the Spaatz because he was medically unable to do the 1.5 mile. From what I remember he would have been Cat IV.

coudano

A lot of people have earned the spaatz award in permanent physical restriction status
Its only temp restriction that you cant do it

I had a cadet almost miss his mitchell before a deadline because he was in a car accident... And was placed on cat 2 for everything.
In the end he wound up doing the test while still injured.
And he did pass
But this is clearly a case that illustrates possible problem with the policy

He could have hurt himself worse, and possibly permanently...

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2011, 07:56:35 AM
You seem to be asking a lot of Qs on here that should be answered by your local unit members. Is there any particular reason for asking here, instead of there?

They arnt very helpfull. And I can get more peoples thoughts on here.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 27, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2011, 07:56:35 AM

They arnt very helpfull. And I can get more peoples thoughts on here.

I know from personal experience that many times what we don't consider helpful is really them not telling us what we want to hear. Additionally, the only thoughts that count are the thoughts held by your chain of command. No amount of CAPTalk debate, discussion, or foodfights will change that.

a2capt

Except when the chain of command is mis-interpreting the regulations or just applying them "because thats what they were told" and never opened a book.. Sometimes looking outside of your chain to see "how others do it" in hopes that you find enough doing it a different and perhaps the 'right' way, can serve as a help to fix something.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on January 27, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Except when the chain of command is mis-interpreting the regulations or just applying them "because thats what they were told" and never opened a book.. Sometimes looking outside of your chain to see "how others do it" in hopes that you find enough doing it a different and perhaps the 'right' way, can serve as a help to fix something.

Fair enough.

AngelWings

Hey, woah, wait!!! I might be able to do the shuttle run! I've never seen it done before, but that could be my solution. I'm an extremely fast sprinter and can last a good 30-40 seconds sprinting at full-speed. How do I request this?

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on January 27, 2011, 09:59:39 PM
Hey, woah, wait!!! I might be able to do the shuttle run! I've never seen it done before, but that could be my solution. I'm an extremely fast sprinter and can last a good 30-40 seconds sprinting at full-speed. How do I request this?

Your unit should be providing it. If they aren't, ask someone in your CoC about it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

OK thank you! Any and everything I can do to try to pass and get away from the bad feeling of not being promoted is worth my try.

a2capt

I have found that a lot of cadets dislike the shuttle run, but the ones that do, eat it up. It takes a bit of coordination. Because you need to be preparing to stop at the same time you are busting a move across the floor.

coudano

the shuttle run is really a lot more about stopping and starting (and changing direction) very quickly
more than it is about just being a fast sprinter.

also the physical coordination to pick up the block and not fumble it too...

when we first started offering the shuttle, a lot of cadets were like "THATS EASY!!!!!" and abandoned the mile to go do shuttle instead...   almost all of them did not pass (haha)...  back over to the mile to get their cred.

The shuttle is passable, i see cadets do it every month,
but I see some cadets not make it either... ones who finish the mile with ease.
both options are there, use the one that works best for you!

AngelWings

Thank you. I probably messed myself up by practicing jogging at low speeds for exercise. I have pretty good coordination, so it may not be a problem for me. I'm worried about turning with the brick or object. If I pass it I'll be extremely happy, and I could finally all myself cadet airman.

coudano

If your squadron doesn't currently offer the shuttle run, they (might) not have the materials on hand needed to do the exercise (or at least do it efficiently with a lot of cadets)
it might go a LONG WAY to getting them to offer it, if you do some of the leg work.

Taking the initiative is not going to hurt their general impression of you either...

You will need:

• Two blocks (we just took a 2x6 board and chopped it off to make 2 blocks)(wrap them in duct tape too)
    --should measure about 2x2x4 but practically speaking, maybe a little bigger than that
  • Something that is 30 feet long for easy measurement (maybe a 50' tape measure; maybe a length of rope, but be careful because rope stretches over time)
  • A stop watch (wristwatches can work but an actual stopwatch will be better)
  • some way to mark the start and finish line too, for resetting...  we use 4 orange cones

All of this is in capp 52-18
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_018_501C183A14D19.pdf

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: coudano on January 28, 2011, 11:33:01 AM
If your squadron doesn't currently offer the shuttle run, they (might) not have the materials on hand needed to do the exercise (or at least do it efficiently with a lot of cadets)
it might go a LONG WAY to getting them to offer it, if you do some of the leg work.

Taking the initiative is not going to hurt their general impression of you either...

You will need:

• Two blocks (we just took a 2x6 board and chopped it off to make 2 blocks)(wrap them in duct tape too)
    --should measure about 2x2x4 but practically speaking, maybe a little bigger than that
  • Something that is 30 feet long for easy measurement (maybe a 50' tape measure; maybe a length of rope, but be careful because rope stretches over time)
  • A stop watch (wristwatches can work but an actual stopwatch will be better)
  • some way to mark the start and finish line too, for resetting...  we use 4 orange cones

All of this is in capp 52-18
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_018_501C183A14D19.pdf

We did offer the shuttle run before just a month or so ago, now we don't.

AirAux

Your unit should offer the shuttle run each pt testing time.  Some units are hard kewl and stop a lot of cadets from promotion by not offering the shuttle run.  This is not according to the Reg's and could get the commander in trouble.

davidsinn

Quote from: AirAux on January 28, 2011, 11:44:18 AM
Your unit should offer the shuttle run each pt testing time.  Some units are hard kewl and stop a lot of cadets from promotion by not offering the shuttle run.  This is not according to the Reg's and could get the commander in trouble.

My unit only offers shuttle run if a cadet failed the mile. That way they get two shots at the run requirement, but if they pass the mile we don't waste the time on it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

I wouldn't call it a 'waste' of time, if there is a cadet that can utilize that opportunity to advance. We have a couple that do prefer it, and score better than the mile run percentage wise, with it. We offer it at the cadets disposal, not the other way around. Occasionally we've had to do only the shuttle run when the rare time that weather in southern California dictates PT is an indoor activity. IOW, if one cadet out of 40 needs it, and asks, we'll measure it out and set it up. Usually a few others will just participate too so that one isn't alone.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on January 28, 2011, 04:01:50 PM
I wouldn't call it a 'waste' of time, if there is a cadet that can utilize that opportunity to advance. We have a couple that do prefer it, and score better than the mile run percentage wise, with it. We offer it at the cadets disposal, not the other way around. Occasionally we've had to do only the shuttle run when the rare time that weather in southern California dictates PT is an indoor activity. IOW, if one cadet out of 40 needs it, and asks, we'll measure it out and set it up. Usually a few others will just participate too so that one isn't alone.

That's what we do. If everyone passes the mile there is no point to setting it up. If one person fails the mile and passes 2/3 of the other requirements then the tape measure comes out and they get a shot at the shuttle run.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

We do take it one step further though, one step different maybe?  - It's offered from the start. For those who know they would rather do this, than that- as this has a better result for them. Why make them bust a move for the mile run that may be futile at that point in the game. Perhaps you'd do it to if you knew come PT night that such and such cadet will likely pass this vs. that.

Perhaps there is something that can be done to facilitate setting up in the future, too. Such as seeing that two joints in a curb line are the right distance,  or X parking stalls, the gap between the parking stall header and the beginning of the divider line on the opposite row, etc.  Then it's just a matter of dropping two cones and two blocks. "Here, go."

We tend to do the running first, as that is the make or break part of it, too.

I'm not trying to argue, though it may appear that way. :)  This method of execution works well for us, obviously every situation is different.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on January 28, 2011, 04:44:11 PM
We do take it one step further though, one step different maybe?  - It's offered from the start. For those who know they would rather do this, than that- as this has a better result for them. Why make them bust a move for the mile run that may be futile at that point in the game. Perhaps you'd do it to if you knew come PT night that such and such cadet will likely pass this vs. that.

Perhaps there is something that can be done to facilitate setting up in the future, too. Such as seeing that two joints in a curb line are the right distance,  or X parking stalls, the gap between the parking stall header and the beginning of the divider line on the opposite row, etc.  Then it's just a matter of dropping two cones and two blocks. "Here, go."

We tend to do the running first, as that is the make or break part of it, too.

I'm not trying to argue, though it may appear that way. :)  This method of execution works well for us, obviously every situation is different.

I hear what you are saying. We use a gym floor at the local fitness center and there are no lines that fall at the proper mark. Everyone knows that the shuttle run is available so they don't kill themselves on the mile. Making them run the mile is actually doing more for them to get in shape than the shuttle does because it's aerobic vs anaerobic for the shuttle. I have no problem setting it up if it needs to be but if we can get everyone passed without it I'd prefer to use that time for some drill practice during the winter while we have the large heated area at our disposal. It's not such a big deal in the summer when it's warm enough to drill on any night back at the airport.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NC Hokie

Quote from: a2capt on January 28, 2011, 04:01:50 PM
We go the opposite route at my squadron, shuttle first, then the mile, and everyone does both.  We do the shuttle first because:

1) Most cadets do not fare well if they do the shuttle run after the mile run;
2) Cadets that fail know they have to push it in the mile run to pass their CPFT; and
3) Cadets that pass can be assigned as "rabbits" to help those that must pass the mile run.

Seems to work well for us.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

coudano

We offer both every month, at the same time.
Go to the one you want.
Incidentally it takes about the same time to run several cadets through the shuttle as a typical mile time.

For the rare fail, or the rarer ones who want to do both every time, we work the exceptions in before the end of mtg