do you need to pass everything to pass pt?

Started by ElectricPenguin, January 27, 2011, 07:24:37 AM

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

If you are classified as Category I - to pass PT, you need to pass the "run plus two out of three.". So, you need to do the mile or shuttle run in the allotted time, and meet at least two of the remaining three categories.

Or, another way - You need to pass three out of four events, and one of them MUST be the running.

If you fail one, you must retest the whole thing.

CAPR 52-18 is where you want to look.

SarDragon

You seem to be asking a lot of Qs on here that should be answered by your local unit members. Is there any particular reason for asking here, instead of there?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Quote from: a2capt on January 27, 2011, 07:50:28 AM
Or, another way - You need to pass three out of four events, and one of them MUST be the running.

Sort of...
You can not, however, do this:
Shuttle(pass)   Mile(pass)  Push Ups (pass) Curl Up (fail)

That's 3 out of 4 with at least one being a run.

QuoteIf you fail one, you must retest the whole thing.

If you fail a CPFT you must re-test the whole thing.
It's possible to fail an event and still pass the overall CPFT.

Infact it's possible to fail 2 events and still pass overall, like this:

Shuttle (fail)    Mile (pass)   Pushup (pass)  Curl Up (fail)  SitReach (pass)

There, you failed 2 events, but still passed overall
Run + 2/3.

QuoteCAPR 52-18 is where you want to look.

concur!

**Also if you are in fitness category 2 or 3 (temporary or permanent restriction from event/s) any events that you are restricted from are automatically considered to be "passed" (even though you did not attempt that exercise due to medical restriction).  However, you can not advance past a milestone award in cat 2/3.

ßτε

Quote from: coudano on January 27, 2011, 11:15:20 AM
**Also if you are in fitness category 2 or 3 (temporary or permanent restriction from event/s) any events that you are restricted from are automatically considered to be "passed" (even though you did not attempt that exercise due to medical restriction).  However, you can not advance past a milestone award in cat 2/3.
Actually, it is only Category II which is restricted from earning milestone awards. There is no such restriction for Category III or Category IV.

arajca

Category I - no restrictions
Category II - temporary restrictions (partial or full)
Category III - partial permenant restriction
Category IV - permenant full restriction

a2capt

QuoteYou can not, however, do this:
Shuttle(pass)   Mile(pass)  Push Ups (pass) Curl Up (fail)
I neglected to add that the shuttle run or mile run are an either/or event, and can't be used in unison as 'two of the four'. You get to choose one or the other, or do both if you wish, but only one pass counts towards passing. So save the energy for the other events.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: arajca on January 27, 2011, 02:49:18 PM
Category I - no restrictions
Category II - temporary restrictions (partial or full)
Category III - partial permenant restriction
Category IV - permenant full restriction

Which I think is quite fair. You don't get a pass on milestones for a temporary condition. If your shoulder is permanently trashed you get a pass on push ups but still do the run, etc. 
I was happy to see this change to the CPFT when I returned to CAP as a senior member.  WIWAC,  I learned my commander was denied a chance at the Spaatz because he was medically unable to do the 1.5 mile. From what I remember he would have been Cat IV.

coudano

A lot of people have earned the spaatz award in permanent physical restriction status
Its only temp restriction that you cant do it

I had a cadet almost miss his mitchell before a deadline because he was in a car accident... And was placed on cat 2 for everything.
In the end he wound up doing the test while still injured.
And he did pass
But this is clearly a case that illustrates possible problem with the policy

He could have hurt himself worse, and possibly permanently...

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2011, 07:56:35 AM
You seem to be asking a lot of Qs on here that should be answered by your local unit members. Is there any particular reason for asking here, instead of there?

They arnt very helpfull. And I can get more peoples thoughts on here.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 27, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2011, 07:56:35 AM

They arnt very helpfull. And I can get more peoples thoughts on here.

I know from personal experience that many times what we don't consider helpful is really them not telling us what we want to hear. Additionally, the only thoughts that count are the thoughts held by your chain of command. No amount of CAPTalk debate, discussion, or foodfights will change that.

a2capt

Except when the chain of command is mis-interpreting the regulations or just applying them "because thats what they were told" and never opened a book.. Sometimes looking outside of your chain to see "how others do it" in hopes that you find enough doing it a different and perhaps the 'right' way, can serve as a help to fix something.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on January 27, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Except when the chain of command is mis-interpreting the regulations or just applying them "because thats what they were told" and never opened a book.. Sometimes looking outside of your chain to see "how others do it" in hopes that you find enough doing it a different and perhaps the 'right' way, can serve as a help to fix something.

Fair enough.

AngelWings

Hey, woah, wait!!! I might be able to do the shuttle run! I've never seen it done before, but that could be my solution. I'm an extremely fast sprinter and can last a good 30-40 seconds sprinting at full-speed. How do I request this?

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on January 27, 2011, 09:59:39 PM
Hey, woah, wait!!! I might be able to do the shuttle run! I've never seen it done before, but that could be my solution. I'm an extremely fast sprinter and can last a good 30-40 seconds sprinting at full-speed. How do I request this?

Your unit should be providing it. If they aren't, ask someone in your CoC about it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

OK thank you! Any and everything I can do to try to pass and get away from the bad feeling of not being promoted is worth my try.

a2capt

I have found that a lot of cadets dislike the shuttle run, but the ones that do, eat it up. It takes a bit of coordination. Because you need to be preparing to stop at the same time you are busting a move across the floor.

coudano

the shuttle run is really a lot more about stopping and starting (and changing direction) very quickly
more than it is about just being a fast sprinter.

also the physical coordination to pick up the block and not fumble it too...

when we first started offering the shuttle, a lot of cadets were like "THATS EASY!!!!!" and abandoned the mile to go do shuttle instead...   almost all of them did not pass (haha)...  back over to the mile to get their cred.

The shuttle is passable, i see cadets do it every month,
but I see some cadets not make it either... ones who finish the mile with ease.
both options are there, use the one that works best for you!

AngelWings

Thank you. I probably messed myself up by practicing jogging at low speeds for exercise. I have pretty good coordination, so it may not be a problem for me. I'm worried about turning with the brick or object. If I pass it I'll be extremely happy, and I could finally all myself cadet airman.