Cadets entering AF BMT

Started by caphornbuckle, October 04, 2010, 03:40:54 AM

sarmed1

When I went thru Army Basic in the early 90's it wasnt the marching, C&C and boot polishing that stood out on prior CAP and JROTC trainees (though it helped, but come on, these are monkey teachable skills) it was the leadership techniques & people management skills that put those people in the forefront.  The Army was nice, if you were eligible for an advanced grade promotion based on CAP, JROTC, Eagle scout or college you wore it on the uniform from day 1.  There was no hiding it.  (I had one guy ommit certain information, he just said "...uh  I was in CAP"; he didnt mention he was a C/Col)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

coudano

I went through bmt in jan 2006 and i had a bit more experience at the time than a typical 18 year old mitchell cadet, heh.  I had done several encampments as a cadet, and RUN some, as a senior member.  But i will say that my general experiences at cap, especially encampment helped.  Drill, uniforms, hospital corner, sop a wall locker, cleaning, etc.  These things are pretty much all bmt is, over and over day after day.  Already being exposed to this made it easier on me than the culture shock on some of my flight mates.  I had less trouble 'adapting to military life'. This actually allowed me to pull extra weight for the team, as i wasnt as overwhelmed with my personal responsibilities.

The trick is to not get stuck in the specifics about how to do the job (the way you did it at cap) but to apply the principles behind the jobs, and be ADAPTABLE to the new environment.  Excellence, teamwork, situational awareness, attention to detail.  These are the things that cap exposes cadets to that really matter when that cadet gets to the military, and farrrrrrr more important on every level than drill, bling and pretentious behavior.

I was academic monitor for my flight and i have no recollection of any aircraft identification on the tests.  The usaf is moving toward a more expeditionary, combat grunt mentality though, and it has moved even further toward it since i went through.  Bmt is 2 weeks longer now, airmen do a 2 week ftx, and carry, clean, and drill with rifles throughout bmt.  Plus combatives training.  Thats a pretty far cry from the usaf of 1994 let alone further back.

Now, when i went through ams (like ocs) in nov 2008, that was like home away from home.   The cap cadet program (particularly phases 3 and 4) were almost perfect prep for that program, element for element.  It was like basic encampment meets cos almost exactly, infact...  And there, we did have aircraft id.  Heh.

Ozzy

You know, for the ARNG, I've getting PFC (E-3) as an Eaker cadet
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Patterson

Quote from: BillB on October 06, 2010, 10:07:16 AM
Go back to the history of the cadet program....The entire concept of the cadet program was to prepare teenagers for military service. This training concept was in effect until 1964 when the current training program was established. (before many modifications) Encampments during and following World War II were mini BMT training. This concept carried up until the late 1970's when encampments were "softened" for the younger cadets entering CAP.

I will agree that the Cadet Program did in fact prepare young men and women for service, but that is far as I will go to meet you on your assertions.

Encampments were not "mini BMT's".  They were organized along the same lines as Reserve and Guard training mobilizations.  It was a chance for all members of the Wing (sometimes region) to get together to familiarize themselves on new material, and equipment and sometimes support departing Reserve and Guard units.  It was originally for ADULT members of CAP.

Not until the 1950's were Encampments for "cadets only".  Even then, it was not what it is today.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Ozzy on October 07, 2010, 10:23:30 PM

Your getting E-3 for your Mitchell.  However, there are many ways people enlisting can get advanced promotions that actually have nothing to do with military or para military training.  E1 through E-3 are time in grade promotions so they are pretty much a "gimme".  Its a recruiting tactic as well as recognizing you for going above and beyond your peers who are in basic with you.  That is unless you join the Marines, then you dont get squat.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 09, 2010, 05:51:35 PM

Your getting E-3 for your Mitchell.  However, there are many ways people enlisting can get advanced promotions that actually have nothing to do with military or para military training.  E1 through E-3 are time in grade promotions so they are pretty much a "gimme".  Its a recruiting tactic as well as recognizing you for going above and beyond your peers who are in basic with you.  That is unless you join the Marines, then you dont get squat.

The Marines will give E-2 for the Mitchell Award, I have checked in on it.

DakRadz

The Marines do not have an official regulation stating that. Recruiters have the option to allow it. The Marines are the only ones to not address CAP specifically in their regulation.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: DakRadz on October 09, 2010, 08:06:36 PM
The Marines do not have an official regulation stating that. Recruiters have the option to allow it. The Marines are the only ones to not address CAP specifically in their regulation.

As you said, recruiters have the option. So there you go the Marines will allow it. Besides recruiters wouldn't give up a recruit because they don't want to promote one a single grade. If there is the option, regardless of regulation, they allow it.

Flying Pig

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 09, 2010, 07:59:55 PM

Oh good.  its about time.  You can get E2 if you recruit someone into joining the Marines so getting a Mitchell shold get you E2. 

Lawson

A good friend of mine joined the USMC in either 04 or 05. She achieved the Billy Mitchell award and was a C/2LT. She received no type of bonus or rank increase from the USMC for her Mitchell.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 09, 2010, 10:52:37 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 09, 2010, 07:59:55 PM

Oh good.  its about time.  You can get E2 if you recruit someone into joining the Marines so getting a Mitchell shold get you E2.

Unfortunately, the Mitchell Award/advance promotion topic has been a sour note with many Cadets I know who desire to (or did) join the Marine Corps. From what I understand, the Marines gave E-2 for a while, but no longer do so for CAP Cadets.

...they will give E-2 for being an Eagle Scout, though.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

The Eagle Scout advanced rank does make some kind of sense I guess. Probably because of the skillsets that come with it, such as knot-tying, leadership, and maybe even some wilderness survival skills.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

I called to check with the USMC recruiter here in town last week, she said that she that when she looked into her computer it has a block to check off for the CAP Mitchell Award and checking the block gives her an option to promote to E2. So yes there is an option for it. She also said that if the person looking to join wants the promotion THEY HAVE TO ASK FOR IT. Also they have to bring in the original certificate.