Started by whatevah, July 11, 2005, 01:08:03 AM

Hill CAP

Other day on tampa repeater

Unknown Station: Hello is any one there
TNCAP 20: This is TNCAP 20 unit calling please identify
Unknown Station: Hello is any one there
TNCAP 20 This is TNCAP 20 This is Government Freq please identify yourself

Nothing Heard for 5 minutes, then repeat above

Funny thing is FLCAP 8500, FLCAP 801, Head CAP 40 and Head CAP 57 all heard this guy also later in the day.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

JAFO78

When I lived back in MN, I was refueling a 10,000 gallon tanker truck after refueling a commercial jet. While standing up on top of the truck, someone starts calling on my radio. I think its dispatch, and start talking to this person. Turns out just some kid playing around with some kind of radio. He had no clue to what was going on.

After about 10 min. this gets old. I tell him he is on a private radio link. He gets off finally. I tell my manager, who tells me this kid has been doing this all day.
after a few days of this some tells him to stay off or we will turn him into the Feds.

He got the hint.
JAFO

Polecat

I am going to 7 month bump this one because I like it and have a good one to tell.

The whole wing was on a FTX for an airshow and I was working KP and right after a meal, this SM walks in for seconds. He goes and gets what he wants and then on his little ISR we hear one of our larger SMs in the wing (great guy, ex-ranger) call him and it goes like this:
CAP XXX, CAP XXX, this is CAP XX, over.
CAP XX, this is CAP XXX, go ahead over.
What is you location? Over.
The chow hall, over.
Good, get me some cookies, CAP XX out.

Needless to say, everyone in th chow hall was laughing really hard.

RiverAux

Mission-related logistical communication.  No problem.   >:D

Major Carrales

UNKNOWN OPERATOR: TexasCAP...uhhhhh...(KEY to slight STATIC)...CAPFLIGHT...uhhhhhhh....(KEY)  (KEY)....this is... (KEY) What's our...!?!(KEY) (KEY)...CRAP!!!

STAGING AREA: THIS IS TXCAP 5XXX, please identify. OVER

UNKNOWN OPERATOR: (KEY)...uh...(KEY) We're trying (KEY)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RicL

I would have to go with "WTF Over" (Heard on the radio as a turkey hit a cap member's personal vehicle being used during a training exercise.. Radio happened to be keyed, with the member ready to call another unit when the turkey took out his windshield).                                                                                                                                                                       

cadetchris

Giant bump but it's a good one.

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations on November 10, 1995.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.   ;D

If you didn't catch on yet refer to the post underneath. IT'S FAKE!
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

Gunner C

Never get tired of that one.  ;D 

BTW, welcome.

SarDragon

Quote from: cadetchris on April 24, 2010, 09:17:15 PM

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.

Totally bogus. The Lincoln has never been homeported on the east coast, and was on post deployment stand down from Oct. 10 - Nov. 6, 1995, after returning from a WestPac deployment. Also, see Snopes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cadetchris

DING DING DING we have a winner! I was waiting for somebody to figure that out.
C/SMSgt
Civil Air Patrol

Gunner C

Well, that's the last time I'm nice to a cadet on his first post.  Yeah, it's bogus (I think it's been brought up here before).  Cadet, don't try to set people up.  Some of us will be nice to you no matter how dumb the stuff you post on here is. 

We give cadets a bit of a break here.  You've had yours.

a2capt

What about their second post? ;-)

I wasn't even gonna say something (about snopes) at first, I wanted to see who was gonna whomp on it.. ;-)

At the local airport one afternoon, a series of stepped on conversations produced "Roll the equipment" and combined with some of the other words that made it out, the crash response came busting out from the perpendicular taxiway and from the other end, the county truck trying to figure out what was going on. A Citation 5 on take off roll aborts because he saw the fire response coming out onto the parallel taxiway and deployed something that caused a bunch of smoke to come out of the engines.

The fire truck sees the smoke and takes the next intersection onto the runway.

Foam was just about to be sprayed..  a series of hand signals and after some discussion .. they all went away and the Citation back to the runup area and after an extended runup, departed. Total closure, about 30 minutes.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: cadetchris on April 24, 2010, 09:17:15 PM

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations on November 10, 1995.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.   ;D

If you didn't catch on yet refer to the post underneath. IT'S FAKE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33Xg91HAlo

Mc Gehee, Cody

as for the GLR N Encampent comment I will second that motion... lol....

GLR N Encampment PAO Staff 2010

Quote from: Briski on July 19, 2005, 01:12:30 PM
GLR (N) Encampment 2005:
"What will the Flight Commanders be doing during the drill eval if the Flight Sergeants will be evaluated on commanding the flights? Over."

"Standing by to offer moral support as the poor little Basic Cadets quake in fear in front of the Standardization and Evaluations Team. Over."

OHWG Encampment 2005:
(quiet and muffled) "I wonder if we can tape this PPT button down."
Mc Gehee, Cody
Civil Air Patrol USAF Aux. (Inactive)
Cadet Col. AJROTC (Ret.) Color Guard Commander, Honor Guard Commander

Blueyes

I know at the time of this posting, the thread is about 6 months old, I thought I would add some fire into this thread.

I was in Iraq in 2006 (Baghdad), and I was an intelligence analyst in an Air Assault unit for 4th ID (Army).  I literally worked back to back with the radio operators at the TOC.  So I have some stories...

Quiet day, NSR, and all of a sudden we start hearing the most foul mouth communications.  Apparently, a convoy was in the Green Zone and was lost.  So, the all powerful butter bar was trying to give directions to the rest of his convoy.  Now, when I say every other word was an expletive, I literally mean, "F'in turn F'in left, F'in dumb S."  Our "papa's" (15P-aviation radio operator) can't get a word in to tell them to get off the freq.  Neither can their NCOIC or the OIC.  This is a TOC so we have our ALL MIGHTY Lt. COL. roaming around.  (We called him Machine Gun Gawkins (another story) Tremendous respect for the man... He was a pilot in Mogadishu in 1993.  You can glean his experience from that.)

Anyhoo, he comes in and hears this and starts going off on everyone.  We explain the situation, and hes at the radio stack for a few minutes just TRYING to get a word in.  What follows is a paraphrase of the conversation  (Callsigns are classified).

Machine Gun Gawkins (MGG): "This is [call sign]6"
Lost LT in Green Zone (LGZ): "[call sign]6, this is [call sign], WTF do you want?"
MGG: "You are on an aviation freq. get off immediately.  This is a high priority freq.  Over." (this was as unprofessional that we ever saw at this point)
LGZ: "You F'in switch, F'in S.  I F'in have F'in permission from my F'in Company Commander for this F'in freq. So, take your F'in aviation S elsewhere."
MGG: (breaking ComSec and composure) "This is Lt. Col. Gawkins, Commander of the 4ID Air Assault BN.  GET! OFF! NOW!"
LGZ: "muffles" pause "S, Yessir!"
MGG: "Call me at [VOIP line] with your commanders present, out!"

Needless to say, seeing such a composed man break comsec and bearing had our jaws dislocated and hanging freely from our heads...  but GAWD was it funny.

MikeD

Cool NASA Story Bro time:

So on my first project in mission control, for acoustic research, it's me and the RCO (Range Control Officer).  I'm talking to a couple of teams of people at ground mic arrays on a cell phone push to talk network.  No one had told me anything about what call signs to use on that net, so I improvised.  "Ground, this is control, comm check?"  "Major Tom reads you loud and clear."

There's been a ton of other good ones, I need to start writing a book.  I don't know if this was over the air or not, but one was "A Global Hawk over Barstow declaring an emergency?  Won't that take all week?"

BTCS1*

Quote from: MikeD on January 18, 2011, 06:47:27 AM
Cool NASA Story Bro time:

So on my first project in mission control, for acoustic research, it's me and the RCO (Range Control Officer).  I'm talking to a couple of teams of people at ground mic arrays on a cell phone push to talk network.  No one had told me anything about what call signs to use on that net, so I improvised.  "Ground, this is control, comm check?"  "Major Tom reads you loud and clear."

LMAO!!!! You worked at mission control!?! That's seriously my dream job!
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

SarDragon

Unlocked by request. Requester - make it good.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

waukwiz

Much apologies for the delay. A lot has come up in family, CAP, and school life. Hope I don't disappoint.

WIWG Ground Team Academy 2017

Engaging in a simulated radio relay net activity are six Advanced School teams paired up with six Basic School teams. Mission Base transmits instructions to the basic teams to relay to their respective advanced teams on another frequency.

So in total, we have: 13 stations, 12 conversations, 2 frequencies, partridge in pear tree.
All free-net. Which was... challenging on its own.

With cold fingers and wet socks, it was finally time for Mission Base to call us home.

"All stations, this is Mission Base. Exercise is terminated. RTB. Over."

"Mission Base, this is GT Alpha. Roger. Out."

"Mission Base, this is GT Bravo. Understood. Out."

"Mission Base, this is GT Charlie. Returning to base. Out."

(Epiphany)

"All stations, this is Mission Base. No acknowledgment is needed. (Wait for it) Over."

"Mission Base, GT Alpha acknowledges, OUT."

A hearty laugh was had around the academy.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

hamburgee

Another from WIWG GTA 2017:

NightNav, the basics (most of who have zero radio experience at all) were handling radio traffic for the Advanced and Team Leader teams. Just like Mayes said;
Quote from: waukwiz on June 10, 2017, 04:43:45 AM
So in total, we have: 13 stations, 12 conversations, 2 frequencies, partridge in pear tree.
All free-net. Which was... challenging on its own.
Anywho. Captain T (don't know if he wants his name said) was the GTL evaluator for our team (I think we were GT Alpha? I don't remember). We'd been trying to call Alpha Base (the basics) so we could begin the course, but no-one was answering. Over the course of this whole thing, we'd heard Alpha Base briefly communicating with other stations, and we could hear our voices on other people's radios whenever we were calling, so we were both audible both ways.

GT A- Alpha Base, this is Ground Team Alpha, over. (repeat this 5 to 7 times)

*silence*

Between this, we heard Alpha Base once or twice on the radio talking to other stations.

At this point, after radioing about 30 minutes, Captain T is getting impatient and decides to call Alpha Base's instructor's cell to tell them to pick up the radio.

Alpha Base, this is Ground Team Alpha, over. (2 times-ish)

*silence again*

Captain T is literally ready to explode.

About 20 seconds of silence later, we hear this:

"Mission Base, this is Alpha Base, over."

Captain T SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS IN RAGE, effectively silencing everyone in about a mile radius. He then takes our radio to call them and we FINALLY got an answer (wonder why) and begun the course after a half hour of trying to call them.