Main Menu

overheard radio traffic

Started by whatevah, July 11, 2005, 01:08:03 AM

whatevah

post your funny/weird quotes overheard on the radio.  CAP, Military, Government channels only.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

whatevah

well, just heard this one on CAP's air-air channel.  "uhhh, ok, acknowledged, Capflight out"
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pace

At the 2002 LAWG Encampment:

Alpha Flight Commander:
"To all units, this is Alpha Flight Commander. Does anyone know where my flight is? Over."

LAWG Cadet Commander/ Encampment Cadet Commander:
*laughing* "You lost your entire flight?!"
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

Me on an FRS radio during a unit training exercise: "My bad, out"  ;D

It still gets laughs during COMM training when we discuss proper prowords... Doesn't help that I am the squadron DC.  I was very rusty on COMM at the time... It had been some time since I had used a radio and to date I am not using the radios as much as I had previously... I used to act as a net control station for a VHF net regularly as well as provide communications support for ES and other activities.

I think it serves as a great example that nobody is perfect, that everybody makes mistakes... Especially when they get a little flustered.
Mike Johnston

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: dcpacemaker on July 11, 2005, 01:33:40 AM
At the 2002 LAWG Encampment:

Alpha Flight Commander:
"To all units, this is Alpha Flight Commander. Does anyone know where my flight is? Over."

LAWG Cadet Commander/ Encampment Cadet Commander:
*laughing* "You lost your entire flight?!"

Dude I sooo remember that. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Schmidty06

(Me talking to a CAPFlight once upon a SAREX that was guiding us into a target)

Me: "So we turn left, right?  Over."

JaL5597

Capflight- "We have located the target.  What do we do now?"

Me- (Wondering if they payed attention to the briefings) "Now you go back and locate the ground team and lead them to the target."

This is 20 minutes after the ground team calls us on the phone.  Their question was now that they had an aircraft overhead, what were they supposed to do with them?

Briski

GLR (N) Encampment 2005:
"What will the Flight Commanders be doing during the drill eval if the Flight Sergeants will be evaluated on commanding the flights? Over."

"Standing by to offer moral support as the poor little Basic Cadets quake in fear in front of the Standardization and Evaluations Team. Over."

OHWG Encampment 2005:
(quiet and muffled) "I wonder if we can tape this PPT button down."
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Pylon

Well, it wasn't a government/military frequency, but I think I can bend the rules a bit.  ;)

At the NYWG encampment this past year, we used FRS for everything.  For the first night, everybody was on the same channel -- all the TACs, Command Staff, Medical, Executive Staffs (Logistics, Comm, etc), plus the DCC's staff (SET, Training, etc), ad nauseum.  The net was wide open. 

Out of the blue, a female Senior Member gets on there and says "Is there anybody out there?"  ...pause...  "Can anybody hear me?"  ...pause... "Hellloooo?"   ....pause... "Test 1, 2, 3"  ...long awkward pause while everybody looks at their radios and then each other.   Nobody replied and eventually she gave up. 

Two nights later, some kids apparently had FRS right around the base and were running around with them, swearing up a storm.  For over two hours, these kids were going back and forth with some of the filthiest language that would make a sailor blush.  It was a little difficult to explain to cadets why my radio was blasting out explectives in the cabin while I was out in the showers.  Whoops....   ::)

Lesson of the Day:  Don't use FRS.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Schmidty06

pixelwonk

Quote from: Schmidty06 on August 07, 2005, 03:57:39 AM
Thank God for ISR, heh.

Indeed.  Now if they only made a Garmin Rino with ISR freqs  :)

Major_Chuck

Several  years ago during a SARCAP I was working in the communications room.  A pilot left his mike open when we heard.  "oops...that's not good."  I looked over at my partner who had a blank look on his face.

I radio'd the aircraft and when the pilot came back on I asked him what his status was.  He stated everything was okay and that they weren't due to turn back around for another thirty minutes.

"I told him that his previous conversation was overheard and we were 'concerned'. 

When they landed the pilot told me that I had overheard a private conversation between him and the observer.  He never told me what it was.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Greg

During the 2005 NJWG Encampment.....

"This is Comm 1, the Commander has asked that all van drivers bring their vans in front of the barracks and that the cadets come out in front and prepare to load, over."

"Cadet Commander, this is the first sergeant, over"

"First Sergeant, I'm currently taking a dump, can you handle that please? over"

"This is Comm 1......that brings on a disturbing mental image, over"
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

whatevah

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

OH, boy, do I ever have some good ones! :D

Here's one (for starters)

There's a memorable cadet in every unit--THAT, my friends never changes, believe me. After over 40 years in CAP, it is still true.

So in "there was this one cadet"  category, we had "this" cadet who was into EVERYTHING. Food? Better lock it UP!! Gear? Better HIDE it!  One day we were over the unit commander's house cleaning up our field kitchen. This was a truck that had everything needed to prepare all sorts of meals from breakfast to gourmet meals.  Well,
(I'll call him "Donnie" which is, of course, not his real name). Donnie got into Col Wisham's (again not real name) radio shack and fiddled with all the dials on his HF radio (OH, NO!!!). getting it all out of kilter.  Col. W and I discovered this AFTER D left and Col W called a technician friend over to re-tune the radio, a then-powerful HeathKit
Apache with sideband adapter. When the technician left, the radio must have needed some tuning anyway because, BOY!  If it was ever loud BEFORE Donnie messed up it, it was BOOMING all up and down Middle East Region like gangbusters!!!! Col W was very proud of his "new" radio and had forgotten how mad he was at the cadet whom he had privately cussed and called every name in the book :D
The Col put the transmitter on a 500 watt lightbulb "dummy" load and the thing would fairly blind you with light as he said into the mike, "Hello, Test! Hello Test! HaLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (this results in the lightbulb lighting because of the RF signal).  The Maryland Wing Net was on as it was late in the evening, and Col W would alternately put the antenna on and listen, then switch back to the lightbulb to admire the bright light that was indicating a HUGE signal.  Col was in his 70's and a bit forgetful as he got older, but he was also an amusing and wonderful CAP member of long standing. So he picked up the mike (forgetting to switch back to the lightbulb) and said, "HELLOOOO!  HELLOOOOO!  HELL------------ HELL! I'M ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  At which point, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.  One was to NEVER cuss on the radio, but this was a slip of the tongue, a spoonerism that was absolutely hilarious! See, he was in the middle of the word "HELLO" when he realized he was transmitting to the whole world and he stopped in the middle of that word!  But it was too late!  The MD Wing net control operator was snickering as he struggled to maintain his composure as he recognized Col W's gravelly voice along with everyone else who checked into the net!

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!", Col W winced as I roared with laughter.  As if it would help.  The deed was done.

That occured nearly 30 years ago and members around who knew the old Col still recall the incident with laughter and fondness!

Lt/Col Jerry Oxendine
MERNC-024

MIKE

Nothing to do with CAP, but my brother and a bunch of his friends have those Nextel cell phones with the built in radio... And one of his friends almost always makes squelch-like noises when he ends a transmission... It cracks me up.  :D

That "rodger beep" they have though is pretty cool for when you key the push to talk.
Mike Johnston

Jerry

Roger beeps?????     Don't even get me started about the chicken band (CB) >:(

;D

Jerry

Slim

Quote from: Jerry on August 20, 2005, 03:44:29 PM
Roger beeps?????     Don't even get me started about the chicken band (CB) >:(

;D

Jerry

Nothing wrong with the candy band,  I wish I had a dollar for every time the candy band has saved me some time while travelling.  I have a cheap one wired with a 12v plug and a mag mount antenna that I plug in when I travel, otherwise both are stored under the back seat of my truck.  Also nice to have someone to yak at when driving to encampment at 5:00 in the morning. 

I think, by "Roger beep," that Mike maybe means repeater courtesy tones...

Slim

whatevah

the Nextel phones have a loud annoying beep at the end of the transmission.  Kinda like the repeater tones, but annoying. Especially if you're in an elevator with a homie talking to somebody back at his crib.  ::)

The main comm guy for my wing (former DC, now the "Comm Engineer") has a few choice words about the "Childrens Band", but we still have a CB in our Mobile Command Center.  Since it's the size of a truck, it's only fitting that we should have a CB. ;)  Great talking to the truckers on the long drives to see how traffic and such is doing ahead of us.  And, everybody in my Jeep Association uses CBs for comm when we're out on trails, and just for general chat.  They use channel 16 (4x4 = 16. ;D).
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

I, too, will use the chicken band to find out where the wrecks and backups are, but I refuse to listen to the mess on any regular basis. It simply gets on my nerves and I have no patience with childish antics and infantile junk associated with it.  And it interferes with legitimate communications (such as CAP and Amateur operators).  Truckers in particular, using illegal so-called "10 Meter" radios invade the 10M ham band and happily yap their traps--at least until FCC recently started sending the companies warning notices.  Some of them, and dealers, too, have been warned with some dealers getting HUGE fines.  So I am glad to see it as their stupid junk interferes with other radio services. I  would go so far as to say, it would not make me sad to see CB done completely away with as it is obsolete, redundant, and serves no useful purpose any longer since we have cell phones, computers, and AIM. Something that was not known when CB was authorized.  Now all it does is cause trouble when a cellphone works FAR better for the public. Only the hardcore troublemakers continue to hang on to 27 MHZ CB.  I have had to chase off "bandit" CB operators on a "certain" frequency or go on a fox hunt to locate them and report them to Wing Comm. >:(

Jerry
Nothing wrong with the candy band,  I wish I had a dollar for every time the candy band has saved me some time while travelling.  I have a cheap one wired with a 12v plug and a mag mount antenna that I plug in when I travel, otherwise both are stored under the back seat of my truck.  Also nice to have someone to yak at when driving to encampment at 5:00 in the morning. 

I think, by "Roger beep," that Mike maybe means repeater courtesy tones...
[/quote]