Seimac ProFIND DF-500P

Started by Eclipse, July 04, 2008, 12:32:33 AM

Garibaldi

In addition to our 2 olde L-Pers, our resident engineer created a 3 element Yagi out of PVC pipe and a tape measure. I used it last Wednesday on a non-distress search, and it worked great. Except I forgot about the fact my HT would only do a receive mode, not DF. And that in this mode, the strongest signal would be to my right as opposed to straight ahead. And that's where the ELT was ultimately found: 90 degrees to the right of where I was convinced it was. I didn't realize this until this morning.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

From this months "special" Volunteer - Page 39.

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

^^^My thoughts exactly when I saw that in the Volunteer. I recently ran some homing trials. Blue Box L-Per, Cheeseblock L-Per and Sniffer had 100% finds. Pro/No-Find had 0%.

Mike

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

For on-airport ELT hunting, I've had my best and most consistent results with a scanner and a "rubber duck" antenna. Body shielding works!

LTC Don

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2016, 04:37:35 PM
This is where we'll be getting ours:  http://www.rdfantennas.com/products.php

Currently showing the MK4 (temp) out of stock.  What would be needed to merge a MK4 into an L-PER mast/element setup?
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Eclipse

Quote from: LTC Don on October 31, 2016, 02:39:24 PM

Currently showing the MK4 (temp) out of stock.  What would be needed to merge a MK4 into an L-PER mast/element setup?

Figures.   We budgeted to buy one this quarter...!@#$%

No idea on the antenna, we're just going to buy the handle combo with the MK4 (assuming we can get one).

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on October 31, 2016, 01:56:49 PM
For on-airport ELT hunting, I've had my best and most consistent results with a scanner and a "rubber duck" antenna. Body shielding works!

Truth! And by adjusting the frequency, you can pinpoint a shelf that the thing is sitting on....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on October 31, 2016, 02:46:49 PM

Figures.   We budgeted to buy one this quarter...!@#$%

No idea on the antenna, we're just going to buy the handle combo with the MK4 (assuming we can get one).

I just bought the Mk4 Version 4 direct from the manufacturer in Australia, the price with shipping was about $170.00 as opposed to the $295.00 from rdfantennas. I'm still getting the antenna from Bob Miller, but I try to save money where I can.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Oh wow, awesome - it's not my money, so any savings are appreciated.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

It also appears the manufacturer ships with newer firmware.

LTC Don

This may have already been posted.  Definitely a different tool from the L-Per. 

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Nick

Quote from: PHall on October 31, 2016, 01:56:49 PM
I agree. I was solo on a return Mx ferry flight and had to divert for weather, and as I was landing at the airport I picked up a 121.5 signal. After I landed, since I had nothing better to do, I grabbed my portable air band radio and had the hangar where the signal was coming from pinned down in less than 5 minutes.

Goes to show how fundamental skills still need to be encouraged rather than fully depending on technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus