Main Menu

BDU Covers

Started by Nearly Dark Side, September 22, 2014, 02:42:28 AM

Nearly Dark Side

I am a C/CC from PAWG. I am sure all of you have heard that the PAWG is phasing out the Orange Cover. Putting aside any personal feelings, for the record I have always been for the BDU cover, I am now faced with the logistical issue of finding covers for my cadets. Now obviously I could just ask them all to buy the covers off of Vanguard but if I could get them without paying 12 dollars a cover and several more for shipping I will. I have dug around a little and have not found too much information out there but hopefully one of my for experienced fellow members of CAPTalk will be able to provide some advice, or possibly deliver the news that I am going to need to make them all buy full price covers. Thank you all in advance.

Panzerbjorn

Utilize local army surplus stores for starters.  Nothing says you need to use Vanguard.

Or...

Talk to your DCC and have him put in a bulk order at a place like this:

http://tacticalgear.com/propper-cotton-ripstop-bdu-patrol-caps-black?gclid=CIudmpzp88ACFQQT7AodK2cASg#/3368/159,2598/1

Each cadet kicks in $5, and if you get 20 covers, you get free shipping.  Try something like that.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

pierson777

There are several options.  Vanguard is the only seller of CAP distinctive product, but the BDU cap is not one of them.  So, you can purchase woodland camouflage BDU caps from sellers like military surplus stores, tactical stores, online stores, etc.  Try Amazon or Google Shopping.  You'll find the caps from other sellers at better prices.  Especially when you order several and combine shipping.  I think the brands Propper and MilSpec are both acceptable.  I found some less than $5 plus shipping.

Also, I noticed that you used the word "cover".   That's been used and passed down for decades, ie. "Hey, where's your cover?"  "Cover" more generically refers to any type of cover on your head such as a helmet, a boonie cap, or a BDU cap.  CAPM 39-1 calls it a BDU cap , so that's the more correct terminology.   When shopping, remember to use the word "cap", not "cover".  We all know what you mean, but your search engine won't.  Good luck.

Eclipse

The ones linked by Panzerbjorn are probably the way to go.

That's about the cheapest I've ever seen them.  Worth it to chip in.

20 hats is only $100 - you won't have any trouble getting rid of them for the next few months in
PAWG.

Heck, get Wing approval and do a fund raiser...

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

GroundHawg

I own a outdoor store, and I sell uniform items and field gear to CAP members and units at my wholesale cost. My cost on BDU covers is $2.50 each and to dropship to you would be an extra $7. Dont forget shipping and taxes. Get me your sizes and I can have your whole squadron a set within a week.

Panzerbjorn

Too cool!  That's awesome, GroundHawg!  Way to step up like that!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Nearly Dark Side

Quote from: GroundHawg on September 22, 2014, 01:42:52 PM
I own a outdoor store, and I sell uniform items and field gear to CAP members and units at my wholesale cost. My cost on BDU covers is $2.50 each and to dropship to you would be an extra $7. Dont forget shipping and taxes. Get me your sizes and I can have your whole squadron a set within a week.

Seeing as I am a cadet I need to get the approval of my Squadron Commander and my squadron's financial board. We will meet this week and I will get back to you ASAP but I see no issue with it. Thank you for your offer and being generally kind enough to help out CAP members like that.

Майор Хаткевич

I sent GroundHawg a PM as well. If a member can do better for others compared to the big guy...why not.

Private Investigator

Quote from: pierson777 on September 22, 2014, 03:25:55 AM
Also, I noticed that you used the word "cover".   That's been used and passed down for decades, ie. "Hey, where's your cover?"  "Cover" more generically refers to any type of cover on your head such as a helmet, a boonie cap, or a BDU cap.  CAPM 39-1 calls it a BDU cap , so that's the more correct terminology. 

Just like when we see "DCC" it really means someone in the Communications Directorate. Deputy Commander for Cadets is "CDC". Another tidbit under correct terminology.  8)