Has anybody heard about this?

Started by Treadhead, September 19, 2014, 06:13:44 PM

Treadhead

I don't know how even to ask this question, so I'll do the best that I can.

I'm a former CAP member from way way back, so I have been out of the loop for awhile.  As a member of the CSMR (California State Military Reserve), I bumped into a few current CAP members who are also CSMR guys.  They mentioned something that sounded a bit bizarre and I have been able to find nothing about it online nor from other CAP members that I know.

They told me that there is a bill before Congress that is supposed to make the CAP a component of the AF, equal to the Reserve and National Guard.  This seemed to mean that if passed, CAP would be an AF component rather than an auxiliary.  The current discussion according to these folks was the issue of UCMJ and if/how it would be applied to the "new force".   It sounded like the plan was to make CAP into something like a national defense force (federal equivalent to a state defense force)

I am a bit skeptical as I can find nothing corroborating this.  The CAP guys that I spoke to seemed quite adamant.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Walt
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

capmaj

For any number of reasons, chief among which would be the resistance of Mama Blue herself, I imagine the simple answer is................ NO WAY!

Eclipse

You should tell those gentlemen they are misinformed.

Consider this, CAP just went through 2-3 years of every PAO in the organization hounding members to
contact their representatives and senators about a gold medal.

Do you think a bill that would radically change the structure of the entire organization, not to mention the
legal membership status of every member would be something you'd hear about from "some guys"?

"That Others May Zoom"

Treadhead

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2014, 06:28:30 PM
You should tell those gentlemen they are misinformed.

Consider this, CAP just went through 2-3 years of every PAO in the organization hounding members to
contact their representatives and senators about a gold medal.

Do you think a bill that would radically change the structure of the entire organization, not to mention the
legal membership status of every member would be something you'd hear about from "some guys"?

Ecllipse

What you said makes PERFECT sense to me.  The bizarreness of this is telling.  I was speaking to a CAP Major, who is one of the "some guys" group just the other day and he told me that this bill was a definite reality but could produce no specifics (ie bill number, sponsors etc).  It's strange how rumors end up going from hearsay to fact....
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Eclipse

Likely wishful thinking on his part.

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorM

Dude.. Sounds legit to me... I think that's the same law that specifically authorizes us to wear ABUs..............

The CyBorg is destroyed

At one time CAP was a lot more integrated with the Air Force; the Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and CAP all came under the Continental Air Command.

Those were the days of pats-on-the-back like this:

Those were the days when we got aircraft directly from the AF...and we still flew them with AF titles and in some cases AF star-and-bar roundels:

Notice the U.S. Air Force titling on the rudder

Those were the days when there wasn't the bloody stupid handwringing about "distinctive" uniforms.

Those days are gone forever.

Some CAP members are either indulging in wishful thinking or out-and-out lies.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

The problem with this is that all members would be required to enlist into CAP/ AF Reserve to fall under the UCMJ. Other considerations would include among others:

Age Requirements?
Retirement benefits?
Will this new organization follow the framework of the U.K. Air Cadet Corps?

Sounds like Cow Kaka to me.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ProdigalJim

Probably a misinterpretation of something that has a kernel of truth. We learned recently that the AF doctrine gurus have decided to go along with the idea, proposed two years ago (look in the original strategic plan), to incorporate CAP into the Total Force definition. That's a far cry from what "some dudes" have transmogriliterallified into CAP becoming a "component," but I'm guessing if you didn't know any better and connected some imaginary dots you could get there.

Bottom line: CAP is going to be incorporated into the Total Force definition (so it was said from the dais at the Natl Conf in Vegas).

Not Bottom Line: CAP is not gong to become a "component" and there's no legislation to that effect.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Recently?

That rhetoric has been in the ether for years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Also, CAP was transferred from the USAF Air Education and Training Command (AETC) to the 1st Air Force for operational reasons which, for the average member in Petticoat Junction Composite Squadron, means nothing.  But maybe that's where they're getting this from.  (/shrugs)

PHall

Quote from: Panache on September 20, 2014, 03:27:28 AM
Also, CAP was transferred from the USAF Air Education and Training Command (AETC) to the 1st Air Force for operational reasons which, for the average member in Petticoat Junction Composite Squadron, means nothing.  But maybe that's where they're getting this from.  (/shrugs)

Transfer has not happened yet and it may not happen.  It's a money thing.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2014, 03:43:23 AM

So we no longer fall under any MAJCOM?  That's quite a break in the hierarchy, going from being under a MAJCOM to a NAF.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 20, 2014, 12:34:00 AM
The problem with this is that all members would be required to enlist into CAP/ AF Reserve to fall under the UCMJ. Other considerations would include among others:

It could be done as the USCG Auxiliary does.

Their members can be drawn into the USCG Temporary Reserve in time of war/national emergency by order of the Commandant USCG; when that happens the TR's fall under the UCMJ.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on September 20, 2014, 04:36:42 AM

So we no longer fall under any MAJCOM?  That's quite a break in the hierarchy, going from being under a MAJCOM to a NAF.

We're still under AETC until AETC and ACC can get their issues sorted out. This was briefed at the National Convention in Vegas.

JacobAnn

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 20, 2014, 12:34:00 AM

Age Requirements?
Retirement benefits?
Will this new organization follow the framework of the U.K. Air Cadet Corps?

Sounds like Cow Kaka to me.

Plus meet Air Force height, weight and medical standards.  That would eliminate a lot of people.

Angus

The bill is legit, I don't know the number.  But I heard from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.  :P
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Flying Pig

That's what I'd love...... To be able to volunteer my time AND be subject to a completely different legal system.  Not that I'm running around committing crimes.   If I'm goin to be subject to the same standards as Guard and Reserves there better be a paycheck attached.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on September 20, 2014, 04:36:42 AM

This is a very misinformed question and statement. On the Air Force side, CAP falls under CAP-USAF, which falls under the Jeanne M. Holm Center for Officer Accessions and Citizen Development, which falls under Air University, which falls under AETC (an AF MAJCOM).

1st AF, on the other hand, falls under ACC (another AF MAJCOM). But even better (and more relevant to CAP), 1st AF is also AFNORTH, which falls under USNORTHCOM (a US DoD level unified command). AFRCC is also assigned to 1st AF. This would be a great move for CAP.

RiverAux

A search of the Congressional web site doesn't show any bill focused specifically on that issue.  If there is such a thing, it is hidden deep inside some DoD appropriations bill and as I seriously doubt any such provision exists am not going to waste the time to look for it.  Others can if you like.