Main Menu

Pres. Roosevelt on safety

Started by RiverAux, November 25, 2009, 02:41:36 AM

RiverAux

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life."
President Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks to Mike Rowe for bringing this to my attention.

(sorry, no quote function available or I would have used it). 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2009, 02:47:04 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 25, 2009, 02:41:36 AM
I can quote other posts, but have no ability to insert something as a quote otherwise.

Quote from: JC004 on November 25, 2009, 02:54:16 AM
*adds to Wing safety page* 
I dare ya!

Pingree1492

Quote from: RiverAux on November 25, 2009, 03:22:04 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2009, 02:47:04 AM
I can quote other posts, but have no ability to insert something as a quote otherwise.

Hmmm... yeah the buttons went away :(

Until then use this to insert a quote of something that wasn't a topic quote:

(quote)Stuff you want to quote(/quote)

Except use brackets instead of parenthesis!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Eclipse

^ Yep. All HTML tags appear to still work, there's just no tool bar.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

Quote from: President Theodore Roosevelt"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life."

Yet, when College football players were dying due to the unsafe nature in which the sport was being played, President Roosevelt threatened the ban the sport all together.

Does anybody seriously think safety isn't part of our duty?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

RiverAux

Quote from: N Harmon on November 25, 2009, 08:29:59 PM
Does anybody seriously think safety isn't part of our duty?
The point he was making was that it doesn't come ahead of our duty. 

N Harmon

Quote from: RiverAux on November 25, 2009, 09:36:50 PM
The point he was making was that it doesn't come ahead of our duty.

But what does that mean? It's like saying your duty comes before fueling the plane. It doesn't compute.

RiverAux

It means that your duty to your country comes ahead of your personal safety.  I'm sure that he would agree that fueling the plane makes it much safer, and easier to fly, just as wearing a helmet and bullet-proof vest makes you safer on the battlefield.  But, if the mission requires it, you leave the helmet and vest behind. 

I offer it here as an ironic jab at those CAP "leaders" who constantly repeat "safety first".  Safety is never first.  It should ALWAYS be considered, but some level of risk is inherent in everything we do and if safety was really first we'd never do anything.  Minimizing the risk is a sensible precaution, but even then safety is not first except on those rare occassions when the word "suicidal" is introduced, as in "It would be suicidal to fly this plane into the thunderstorm while trying to look for a downed aircraft". 

RicL

I think FDR was looking at it more like..

Do you not build planes for America because factory work is dangerous? No

Do you not enlist in the military because front-line duty can get you killed? No

By the way..there are alot of good one liners related to safety here: LINKY

RiverAux

RicL

Oops.. that's what I get for engaging fingers before brain.. Sorry

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Flying Pig

This is one of the reason I chuckle inside when people compare law enforcement to the military.

In the military your priorities are Mission Accomplishment THEN troop welfare

In civilian life its Troop welfare THEN mission accomplishment

N Harmon

"Safety First" does not mean sitting on our hands because some activity might have risk. It isn't "accept no risk". What it means is that when we prepare or plan for an activity, we address safety concerns before things like how we actually get the work done.

It's assessing the scene for safety before just jumping in.

It's looking on a sectional for radio towers in your grid before you take off.

Remember back to our ORM.  It is "accept no unnecessary risks" and "accept only those risks where the benefits outweight the costs". It is 90% identifying the risks, and 10% evaluating go/no go based on the risks you can't mitigate against. If you're searching on foot and bad weather is moving in, you have to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits for that particular situation. If you have found zero clues so far, maybe you bring your team in. If you have a distress whistle off in the distance, maybe you press on.

But regardless safety is still first. It's your first consideration; the first thing you evaluate.

I for one am tired of the chest beating "My Duty comes before my safety".

Airrace

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life."
President Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks to Mike Rowe for bringing this to my attention.

Well Said!