Main Menu

True Wild Goose Chases

Started by DakRadz, July 25, 2010, 01:43:10 AM

DakRadz

Share the real-life wild goose chases you've sent members on: Here's mine, which I expected would be immediately recognized.... XD

So I'm on Facebook, and....- better yet, I'll share the conversation.

QuoteMy unit Flight Officer (name removed)I keep getting adverts for "Gridded CAP Sectionals" on GMail now.
22 minutes ago

DakRadz- Any luck buying a box of grid squares? I'd love to get an advert/discount for those.
            15 minutes ago ·

Flight Officer- The ones being advertised for the Atlanta section are a bundle sold for $17.99.
            4 minutes ago

Granted, he's new with no prior cadet/military experience, but...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDITED TO: Add top bit including others, inviting them to share.

raivo

Grid squares? Over in aisle Π with the propwash and the chemlight batteries...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

BGNightfall

Adjacent are the left-handed smoke stirrers and the steam buckets.  The next aisle over has the Shaft seal feed.

SarDragon

Oh, now you got me started...

Relative bearing grease
Sonar and radar contacts
Fifty feet of chow line
DIFAR ink (a Navy thing)
Finnegan pin

More later?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: DakRadz on July 25, 2010, 01:43:10 AM
Share the real-life wild goose chases you've sent members on: Here's mine, which I expected would be immediately recognized.... XD

So I'm on Facebook, and....- better yet, I'll share the conversation.

QuoteMy unit Flight Officer (name removed)I keep getting adverts for "Gridded CAP Sectionals" on GMail now.
22 minutes ago

DakRadz- Any luck buying a box of grid squares? I'd love to get an advert/discount for those.
            15 minutes ago ·

Flight Officer- The ones being advertised for the Atlanta section are a bundle sold for $17.99.
            4 minutes ago

Granted, he's new with no prior cadet/military experience, but...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDITED TO: Add top bit including others, inviting them to share.

Yes I get the joke.  The Sky Sectionals with the CAP grids he's talking about are a pretty good buy.  We've got a subscription, and it saves a lot of time and headaches re-gridding sectionals
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DakRadz

Oh I know what he was originally referring to- I was simply amazed he didn't catch MY reference and seemed to think I was sincere...

P.S. SarDragon- youse gotsa tell a story about when someone actually fell for it ;) I really want to see these..

HGjunkie

Ya'll forgot Headlght fluid and smoke benders.  >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JoeTomasone

And the pre-paid minute cards for the VHF radio.

Al Sayre

You need a form ID-10-T
Go to maintenance and get me an AN-ASH Receiver
Go find Charlie Nobel (a Navy thing)
Get me: a bucket of steam
              50 ft of flight line
              a compass rose

Assigned to mail buoy watch

Night watch for sea bats

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

Theres also the inflatable dart board,
Humvee caurbeurator
dehydrated water
Camo paint
and a 3-foot meter stick
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

I need batteries for the PRC-E7 (*cough*)
How about you go to supply and get me some BA-1100-Novembers?

(true story: sent a kid to get rotor wash, came back with a 5gal can of "Propeller wash" from the local fixed-wing unit.  Sent him for a left-handed torque wrench after that...)

Ever sent anybody to the avionics shop for some squelch grease?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: Al SayreGo to maintenance and get me an AN-ASH Receiver
Oh, I got bit hard on that one.

For a little background, here's what AN/ASH means in the designation master plan: AN/ASH - Airborne Special/Combination Recording/Reproducing Equipment. I had worked with the ASH-20 when I was around P-3s.

We got a bird back from depot maintenance, and had to do an inventory. Since I was in the duty section, I got to do the inside, non-mech stuff.

On one page of the inventory, I had "4 ea, Receiver, ASH" (note the all caps), to find. In my mind, Receiver and ASH didn't match up, but I soldiered on. After about 20 min of looking, I gave in, and asked the Chief (USN E-7), WTF was going on here. After a good chuckle, he wrote "ash receiver" on some scrap paper, and then we both had a good chuckle. Found them all in short order.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Absolutely perfect!

Thanks Eclipse. You deserve a special title on this board for finding those pictures ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: DakRadz on July 26, 2010, 09:38:49 PM
Absolutely perfect!

Thanks Eclipse. You deserve a special title on this board for finding those pictures ;)
He already has one - Too Much Free Time Award
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Sorry, forgot to add the sarcasm tags- I was trying to use the winking smiley face to indicate I knew about the award, and that it was apt.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF