The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

I thought badges were also considered devices.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 12, 2010, 02:53:16 AM
I thought badges were also considered devices.
I've always thought the same thing, 39-1 says ribbons and devices must fall below the notch. However, Figure 5-1 states "All badges and devices must fall below the notch of the collar." Paragraph 5-2 only states "ribbons and devices."

Stuff like this is why this manual needs to be rewritten yesterday.

manfredvonrichthofen

Very confusing, sounds to me that your ribbons can go above the notch but your badges can't? Did I get that right? This is total sarcasm by the way. Just saying 39-1 needs changed like a jerk.

caphornbuckle

The next time the "DRAFT" CAPM 39-1 comes out for comment (eventually), I suggest we all take a look through it with a fine tooth comb and point out the differences in wording, reg violations, etc and send your comments up your chain of command.

If this was done with the recent 39-1, we might not have gotten into this mess in the first place.

In fact, read all of the draft publications when they come out.  You'll be surprised what you might find!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Would love to see these drafts! I have just seen the first draft of a manual and it is the 50-17 I do believe. And I think they have done a rather good job, I know it is helpful for me and it has been 6 years since I was a cadet and this being my first year as a Senior Member it still is helpful to see some of that information.

Eclipse

The whole thing is written in a very confusing manner.

I was referring to 39-1 and the interchangeable use of the word "badges" vs. "Devices".

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

It (50-17) didn't seem too confusing to me, I don't know why. Maybe you and I are talking about something different. Or maybe it was because I was a cadet and it is aimed at former cadets and I was able to relate to how the program works on the cadet side and I need some more explanation of the differences in the two sides of CAP.

starshippe

. . i noticed that the guide was corrected with respect to the air sar ribbon, going from 10 to 20 for the bronze clasp, but the count for silver was left at 50, instead of 100.
. . are clasps allowed on the presidential disaster ribbon?
. . we in georgia were awarded the national guard humanitarian assistance award for participation in support of the albany floods in 1994. i read in this forum that state awards are no longer allowed. is this true, even if we have the original citation signed by our wing commander?
. . on the aviator shirt uniform, can we use 4 across frames for the ribbons?
. . i do not see any height limit on ribbons and wings, etc., for the aviator shirt uniform. are there informal limits?

thanks,

bill

starshippe

. . it looks to me like all of the ribbons shown at the top of page 5 of the guide have find or sortie counts that are slightly off.
. . the propeller is considered a device, and not a clasp.
. . for the left hand find ribbon, the ribbon itself denotes a find, either a single distress find or a single non distress find. the propeller denotes that it was accomplished from an aircraft.
. . the middle find ribbons denotes one additional find award, which can be a single distress find, or a group of 20 non distress finds. theres no way to tell which. at least one was accomplished from an aircraft.
. . the right hand ribbon denotes a total of 7 finds. again, theres no way to tell what the mix is, and again, at least one was accomplished from an aircraft. in any event, the non distress finds would have to be a multiple of 20, not 10.
. . the first air sar ribbon denotes 70 sorties, some of which were as aircrew.
. . the middle air sar ribbon denotes 20 sorties, some as aircrew.
. . the right hand air sar ribbon denotes 10 sorties, some as aircrew.

. . if i have this incorrect, please let me know.

. . one of the displays shown below these ribbons answered a question i asked in my previous post, regarding clasps on the disaster relief ribbon, thanks.

regards,
bill

baronet68

Over the past few weeks I've been able to scrape together some free time to update the McChord rack builder utility.  Notable changes are new rules for attachments on commanders commendation, lifesaving, and disaster relief awards plus the inclusion of the homeland security ribbon and the community service ribbon for senior members.

I'd love to hear any feedback.

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/

-Michael
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Mine looks good - even the more complicated ribbons with new(er) rules:

Mcchord has always been my rack builder of choice...

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Ditto on being the builder of choice....+1 on the great job.
"Is it Friday yet"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2010, 09:08:58 AM

That's an impressive resume Sir. Happy Holidays.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^It is.

A lot better than my lame two-row rack...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2010, 09:08:58 AM

WOW - you kept track of all your sorties and finds?

Just re-did mine and it looks good:

Eclipse

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on December 23, 2010, 09:30:11 PM
WOW - you kept track of all your sorties and finds?

Heck yes!  Made easier because some came in big chunks because of large-scale missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I found an older image from the McChord tool. The new images are a lot nicer and they were good before

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: starshippe on December 12, 2010, 04:26:59 PM
. . are clasps allowed on the presidential disaster ribbon?

If you earned the presidential disaster ribbon for the Carter Administration, you get a clasp for the Obama hitch. If you weren't in CAP during Carter, you just wear the ribbon for Obama.

Wait... wrong kind of presidential disaster. Sorry.

>:D

(Speaking of which, I need to update my rack below for the achievement award and the disaster relief ribbon with "V" for Deepwater Horizon.... hmm.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM
Attached is a guide I created on the proper wear of CAP ribbons. Makes things a lot easier to figure out than having to dig through a maze of regs and policy letters. This is only a guide - consult the latest CAP regulations and poliy letters for guidance.

So, this guide states that USCG Auxiliary awards may not be worn on a CAP uniform, but what about active duty USCG ribbons awarded to an Auxiliarist?

Quote from: GaryJSO on October 06, 2007, 03:10:11 AM
I think the USCGAux has the right idea: Auxies can choose to wear all, their top 3, or their choice of 9 ribbons.

Couple things.

1. We are not Auxies. That's kind of derogatory, even though I know you didn't intend it to be such. We are Auxiliarists. We are, at times, also referred to as Coasties as we are a co-equal part of Team Coast Guard.

2. The choice of how to wear ribbins in the USCGAUX (all letters should be capitalized by the way) isn't an AUX rule. Its a Coast Guard regulation that the Auxiliary follows.

3. Regardless of the 39-1 (primarily because its all over the place) I follow the USAF tradition of officers only wearing devices on their blues. When the 39-1 is contradictory all over the place, I'll get on board with the "must wear" idea. ;-p

Quote from: Spike on October 19, 2009, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on October 19, 2009, 05:44:55 AM
Quote from: Spike on October 19, 2009, 04:30:25 AM
I once asked a West Point Cadet what his ribbon was he was wearing.  His reply, "oh , um that is what we get when we get accepted to West Point".  The military does throw around too many awards and ribbons to people have no clue why they got them or what they are for.

Can anyone guess what ribbon he was wearing?

National Defense Service Medal?

Correct.  You win!

Haha, well I was given the ND upon graduating Boot Camp at Parris Island in 1994. It was still being awarded to all military personnel because the service period was from 1990-1995 for Desert Storm operations. Of course, its not technically a Marine Corps award so much as awarded to a Marine. Makes me feel good that the Corps doesn't have any ribbons that you are just handed for showing up. The only ribbons a Marine gets like that are DoD-wide ribbons like GWOT and the ND and so on.

Quote from: Gunner C on October 20, 2009, 01:12:22 PM
If you can find a miniature for the Canadian award, why couldn't you wear it?

Because... CAP only recognizes foreign awards earned while either a member of CAP or in service to the US. His Canadian award was earned IN Canadian service. This is the same theory the individual branches have concerning devices. Someone in the Marines with NFO wings would not be eligible to wear them in the USAF upon making a lat move over. Most branches state that you can only wear another branch's device if you earned it while in your current branch. You generally can't port them over. So, same theory with recognizing awards. CAP/US military only recognize awards earned while in the US military.

Quote from: PHall on November 27, 2010, 02:27:45 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 01:54:53 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2010, 01:48:08 AM
Well I got to call BS on your pic.

from 36-2903
Quote2. Air Force members are highly encouraged to wear their current occupational badge. Aeronautical
and chaplain badges are mandatory, others are optional. Center subdued embroidered badge
(aeronautical, occupational, or miscellaneous) 1/2 inch above US AIR FORCE tape. Center additional
badge 1/2 inch above the first badge. A third badge (duty or miscellaneous) may be worn
on lower portion of left pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and bottom of
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges.
The badge on the pocket flap is not authorised.

Nor is the Black on green jump wings.

Just goes to show you that USAF personnel can get it wrong at well.

Ok, so how does that make the pic of the USAF uniform BS?
may be worn
on lower portion of left pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and bottom of
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges

So it says that one CAN be worn on the pocket. It doesn't say what badges are ONLY authorized, is just gives a couple of inclusions as to what to put on the pocket.

The only badges that can be worn on the pocket itself are the Security Forces Badge, Firefighter Badge and the Missile Badges.

And the reg is pretty clear, nothing on the flap, period.

The cop that owns that shirt is going to have to make a decision, which badge to lose?
Amazingly enough, the speciality qualification badge (the one on the pocket flap) is not a required wear item, it's just encouraged.

And this my friends is why I am glad to have served in the Marines. For us, what it says on the left side nametape (US MARINES) is more important than all the "look-at-how-special-I-am" crap the other branches throw all over their uniforms. The Army has at least made a step in the right direction with their new ASU's with the exception of the CSIB. Who really cares what unit you were with when you saw combat? The point is that there's no problem with wearing stuff you've earned, but at some point you've got to be able to recognize when you've gone from looking professional to looking like a PX Commando (whether earned or not).

dougswolf2003

I have a question. I am also new to this forum and am doing some research prior to getting involved with CAP. I am an Army vet with 19 years of service, I'm wondering if it is allowed to wear federal ribbons and awards received in the military on the CAP uniform and if it is allowed with CAP ribbons?