Main Menu

Excellence in CAPRAP

Started by Holding Pattern, January 31, 2018, 07:24:05 PM

Holding Pattern

Who here has stories of an excellent relationship with their CAPRAP, where the relationship is mutually beneficial?
For those who are unfamiliar, The program is defined under AFI 10-2701 Section 3.2.

OldGuy

Well that was as clear as mud.

Spam

Multiple examples over many years:

- Assistance with encampment
- Assistance with Space A mil flights
- Assistance with cadet D&C and SDAs
- Advice and coaching to cadets seeking Academy appointments in prepping their packages
- SAREX/DREX evaluators (dependent on AFSC...)
- etc.

As far as "mutually beneficial", I'm sure they appreciated IMA points, but I'm not sure what career enhancing experiences we offered an 18 year USAF field grade officer. Helping with USAFA and other Academy applicants and enlisted recruits certainly does help pay it forward.

V/r
Spam

sarmed1

I think it is a huge variable.  The involvement of the individual CAPRAP NCO/Officer is as varied as they desire.  Some maintain a minimum involvement at the Detachment level, participating only in activities such as Wing level SAREVAL's and compliance inspections.  Others maintain a sometimes weekly involvement in local unit activities, perform local unit visits, or supporting Group or Wing level activities or NCSA's.

The "mutually beneficial" part comes in to the CAPRAP-er's side in what they are looking to get out of the program.  Are they interested in giving back to the organization as a whole, looking to maintain enough time to round out a period of enlistment/career?  Are they looking at as a way to learn about a new/different aspect of the USAF mission and use it as a stepping stone to a new civilian career (aka resume builder)

Me personally, it was a way to combine two of my passions into one mutually supportive activity in my dwindling amount of available time vs the rest of my life's commitments.  I credit my time in CAP both as a cadet and a senior member as having a significant impact on my character and general ability to function as a leader and mentor within the military.  I choose it as a path to give back the organization while continuing to maintain my military affiliation (leading toward eventual retirement)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Johnny Yuma

Haven't seen a CAPRAP reservist in my wing in years.

Last CAPRAP NCO I knew of made a service transfer to the Army Guard so he could actually get a paycheck and retirement points and I believe he's since retired from the .mil. I haven't seen a CAPRAP officer in close to a decade.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

sarmed1

There is no mandate to fill CAPRAP "positions"  The are for all intents and purposes no actual positions, minimum or maximum.  It is the option of the individual detachments to add as many or as few as they find interested in the program.  As far as programs go it is an even bigger USAF secret than CAP is, this leads to the fact that there are likely scores of enlisted and officers, especially reservists,  that transition to the IRR for personal reasons and never knew there was another option.

Another reason you may have not seen one is, many operate only at the wing level, unless you are involved at that level as far as SAREVAL and inspections you wont see them, and they usually just say they are from CAP-USAF vs CAPRAP.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

CAPLTC

Quote from: sarmed1 on February 22, 2018, 07:05:49 PM
Another reason you may have not seen one is, many operate only at the wing level, unless you are involved at that level as far as SAREVAL and inspections you wont see them, and they usually just say they are from CAP-USAF vs CAPRAP.
mk

I work with 2x CAPRAP field grades.
They both love it.
You're spot on - they do exactly what you outlined. High-level stan-eval/TTE stuff with 2 different Wing staffs.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis