NHQ - Press Release Explaining US Civil Air Patrol

Started by sardak, June 13, 2007, 08:54:58 PM

RiverAux

While "public opinion" within CAP has no power within the regulations, I think it does have indirect influence.  I suspect that if this change had been put in a proposal and if the general membership had time to learn about it and contact those who can vote on these things that there might have been a lot more discussion before this vote was made.

You would be surprised how much public opinion matters even to decision makers who don't depend on the public for their position of authority. 

Apparently this change was made in the first place because someone in Iowa got the ear of the National Commander who railroaded it through.  So even a little bit of influence on the other side of the issue could do the same thing. 

Do I think that 75% of CAP members overall hate this idea?  No, it is probably somewhat lower than that.   

ColonelJack

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2007, 03:03:01 PM
While "public opinion" within CAP has no power within the regulations, I think it does have indirect influence.  I suspect that if this change had been put in a proposal and if the general membership had time to learn about it and contact those who can vote on these things that there might have been a lot more discussion before this vote was made.

I suspect you are correct on that issue.  The fact that it appeared as part of one person's agenda (or one small group of people's agenda) and was pushed through with little or no resistance tells me that time for discussion, etc., might have resulted in a different outcome.

You would be surprised how much public opinion matters even to decision makers who don't depend on the public for their position of authority.

No, it wouldn't.  Very little surprises me any more.   :)

Apparently this change was made in the first place because someone in Iowa got the ear of the National Commander who railroaded it through.  So even a little bit of influence on the other side of the issue could do the same thing.

Probably so.  But there are ways to effect change that don't make those asking for change look like whining crybabies.  (Not meaning you, sir, but you get the idea I am referring to.)  Right now it just seems that those who don't mind the change don't mind it -- figuring there are other things to be concerned about -- while those who don't like the change are going ballistic about it.  My experience has been that the more noise you make about something that sounds like whining crybabies, the less attention will be paid to you and the less you will be taken seriously.

Rather than shout from the rooftops here, those who want to effect a change should check the regulations carefully and investigate how to propose the change they want.  Then investigate how to effect that change.  It beats complaining about something you can't change anyway.

Do I think that 75% of CAP members overall hate this idea?  No, it is probably somewhat lower than that.   

But if they want to effect change, there's a way to do it in the regs.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

QuoteRight now it just seems that those who don't mind the change don't mind it -- figuring there are other things to be concerned about
There are plenty of things to be concerned about and just because this is one of the issues some of us are concerned about doesn't mean it is our only issue. 

ColonelJack

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2007, 03:29:51 PM
QuoteRight now it just seems that those who don't mind the change don't mind it -- figuring there are other things to be concerned about
There are plenty of things to be concerned about and just because this is one of the issues some of us are concerned about doesn't mean it is our only issue. 

It certainly seems to be the most vocal.  And one of the ones which all the raised outcry in the world won't change.

I too am concerned with many things.  (Some will wonder why I'm so concerned that you're so concerned.)  This just doesn't rate high on my list.

But we can agree to disagree, yes?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pumbaa

Photo redacted - MIKE

mikeylikey

^^ That guy is taking a picture of the horses rear end!  Other than that.......for some reason that brought a laugh out of me today!  Thanks!

I do not support the needless beating of dead horses.....nor do I support attaching signs to said dead horses.  I love animals.........mostly (except the kind that can eat me).
What's up monkeys?

BillB

Oh please delete that phot. Do you realize it could be seen by young cadets and scar them for life. We must protect the cadets from the real world.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

LtCol White

Quote from: BillB on July 02, 2007, 08:19:45 PM
Oh please delete that phot. Do you realize it could be seen by young cadets and scar them for life. We must protect the cadets from the real world.

Ummm....Toto, our cadets aren't from Kansas. This photo will have no affect on them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: BillB on July 02, 2007, 08:19:45 PM

From Wikipedia...

QuoteAn equestrian (Latin eques, plural equites - also known as a vir egregius, lit. "excellent man" from the 2nd century AD onwards) was a member of one of the two upper social classes in the Roman Republic and early Roman Empire. This social class is often translated as "knight" or "chevalier" (French). However, this translation is not literal, since medieval knights relied on their martial skills, the physical power of their horse and armour to support their position, while the connection of Roman equestrians to horses had become more symbolic even in the early days of the Republic. The social position of medieval knights and Roman equestrians, however, was extremely alike, equestrians being the nearest Roman equivalent to Medieval nobility, the Roman tax farming system shared many similarities with medieval feudalism without actually being identical, due to inherent differences in the social structure and the level of central government.

The equites were the Roman middle class between the upper class of patricians and the lower class of plebs. The distinguishing mark of the equestrian class was a gold ring (that of the patrician was of iron) and narrow black band on the tunic.

Anyone own a horse in here.  We used to have one...he stuck to us like glue.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

Oh come on!!!  People see worse on PBS, ABC, CNN and FOX.....

I've owned 5 horses, will be buying a couple more in the next few years...

They do taste great grilled, but I too would rather not beat them when they are dead!

Major Carrales

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on July 02, 2007, 09:52:03 PM
Oh come on!!!  People see worse on PBS, ABC, CNN and FOX.....

I've owned 5 horses, will be buying a couple more in the next few years...

They do taste great grilled, but I too would rather not beat them when they are dead!

Tender Pferdefleisch ist wunderbar!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 02, 2007, 01:13:37 PM
What IS of consequence is that use of the term virtually implies that we are a stand-alone paramilitary force.  We talk of the U.S. Air Force, not the U.S. Air Combat Command. 

This could also be another example of the 'Corporate' vs. 'Auxiliary' point of view.

This occurred to me while watching Godfather II yesterday -- Hyman Roth, discussing the success of The Mob's gambling operations in Havana, remarks to Michael Corleone, "We're bigger than U.S. Steel!!!

Pumbaa

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 02, 2007, 10:06:57 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 02, 2007, 01:13:37 PM
What IS of consequence is that use of the term virtually implies that we are a stand-alone paramilitary force.  We talk of the U.S. Air Force, not the U.S. Air Combat Command. 

This could also be another example of the 'Corporate' vs. 'Auxiliary' point of view.

This occurred to me while watching Godfather II yesterday -- Hyman Roth, discussing the success of The Mob's gambling operations in Havana, remarks to Michael Corleone, "We're bigger than U.S. Steel!!!

ZigZag911, please... "your father did business with Hyman Roth, your father respected Hyman Roth, but your father never trusted Hyman Roth."  ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

ZigZag911

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 02, 2007, 10:19:43 PM

ZigZag911, please... "your father did business with Hyman Roth, your father respected Hyman Roth, but your father never trusted Hyman Roth."  ;)

I'm simply pointing out that "US" has corporate applications as well as military ones.

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on July 02, 2007, 10:20:09 PM
OK... my point ....

That actually looks a bit like Conservative Radio Talkshow host, Michael Savage!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454