NHQ - Press Release Explaining US Civil Air Patrol

Started by sardak, June 13, 2007, 08:54:58 PM

sardak

I really didn't want to start another thread on this, but the message will get lost and/or ignored if added to any of the others.
Mike
Officials explain use of 'U.S. Civil Air Patrol' in identifying organization
Adding 'U.S.' to name called difference in 'style, not substance'

June 13, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- The only difference between "Civil Air Patrol" and "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" is one of style, not substance, top CAP officials say.

After CAP National Commander Maj. Gen. Antonio J. Pineda noted that other nations also maintain their own Civil Air Patrols, National Headquarters began exploring the possibility of using "U.S." in first full references to the organization's name.

"It's just a branding initiative," said CAP Executive Director Don Rowland. "We're not changing the charter. ... We're not really changing anything."

Using "U.S. Civil Air Patrol," Rowland said, is "the equivalent to GE used in reference to General Electric."

Gordon W. Odell Jr., CAP general counsel, used a similar comparison.

"There's an organization we know as 'IBM,' Odell said. "Its name is International Business Machines Inc. IBM is a trade name."

"U.S. Civil Air Patrol is a trade name just as IBM is a trade name. Use of the trade name does not change who or what we are," he said.

The official name of Civil Air Patrol as established in Administrative Order No. 9 on Dec. 1, 1941, remains the same, said Odell. Identification of the organization as U.S. Civil Air Patrol for marketing purposes entails no further executive orders or changes to the organization's constitution or bylaws.

Official signature blocks will remain "Civil Air Patrol."

The new approach will be reflected on the Battle Dress Uniform tape and some CAP nametags. The March 2007 National Board approved changing the BDU tape to "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" effective immediately with a mandatory wear date of March 1, 2010.

On May 23rd, the National Executive Committee also approved changes to the name tags worn by senior members on the new Corporate uniform. Members may begin wearing these name tags immediately with a mandatory wear date of March 1, 2008.  U.S. Civil Air Patrol will be the first line on:

* the blue two-line name tag worn by senior members on the new CAP distinctive corporate uniform (white aviator shirt and blue slacks) above the member's surname and
    * the silver two-line name tag worn by senior members on the new CAP distinctive corporate service coat.

Other name tags will remain unchanged.
####

ddelaney103

As much as I don't like USCAP, if we're going to have it we should change it all along the line.

We are setting up a patchwork of uniform items that change at random (you wear the blue epaulets on the white shirt with the blue pants, but not the gray pants, clear?).  Now we're setting up two different names, sig blocks, etc.

Traditionally, since we are the first "Civil Air Patrol," we would use it without modifier and those that follow would have to add their country to the name.  For example, only the British call themselves the Royal Air Force: everyone else has to use their country's name (RAAF, RNZAF, RCAF).

JohnKachenmeister

So... if we're just "Stylin'," why the big honkin' news release?
Another former CAP officer

Ricochet13

* the blue two-line name tag worn by senior members on the new CAP distinctive corporate uniform (white aviator shirt and blue slacks) above the member's surname and
* the silver two-line name tag worn by senior members on the new CAP distinctive corporate service coat.

Other name tags will remain unchanged.

And I just bought a blue nametag in November trying to support the concept of the new "corporate" uniform . . . good grief!!   Does anyone at NHQ really care about the needless expenses pushed on members?  Been using my black US Army nametag since 1965 and all it has is my last name.

Pylon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 13, 2007, 09:06:24 PM
So... if we're just "Stylin'," why the big honkin' news release?

To clarify that we have a huge organizational identity issue.  

CAP has no corporate identity.  We have at least four different, approved organizational emblems (leaving out the unofficial ones), three different names, and terribly small brand recognition with the general population.  This does not solve any issues and, in fact, exacerbates the problem further.  

We have no corporate colors, typography, nor enforced standardized letterhead for subordinate units (I'm aware of 10-1, but so many units, including high-level HQs ignore it).  We have no branding, we have no corporate identity, and no brand recognition because of this fact.   I'm not even considering the disjointed identity from the standpoint of having an unweildly assortment of uniforms, five or six different style nameplates, three different branding/painting-styles of aircraft out there, and a large van fleet with inconsistent (and terrible looking) markings - that's a contributing factor, but not the core of the issue.

Does National need to fix this?  Yes.  This is one issue that units operating below NHQ cannot fix on their own, through working hard and doing their jobs well.  This is an organizational issue that somebody with experience in this field needs to spend the serious time to do the research first, perform a proper SWOT analysis on Civil Air Patrol's brand and identity, and create and enforce a subsequent program to fix this.

But I don't forsee that happening and coming to fruition until, at minimum, another National Commander takes the helm.

It's a major problem for CAP, it's sad to see the organization in such a mess from a public relations/awareness standpoint, hurting CAP and its members on so many fronts.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

I still think that this is too late in the game to fix things.  It only reinforces the attitude that HQ doesn't know what it's doing.  To be sure, they ARE trying to change their mistakes, and I am grateful for it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ricochet13

Don't get me wrong here now.  I take my membership in CAP seriously.  But, the first two things I learned when entering the service were 1) Get the mission done, and 2) Take care of the people you are responsible for.   Don't impose needless requirements.

Also learned "it's not what you say, but what you do".  Our organization will get "branded", that is nationally known and recognized, based on what we "do", not by whether our uniforms "say" U.S. Civil Air Patrol or Civil Air Patrol.

RiverAux

QuoteU.S. Civil Air Patrol is a trade name just as IBM is a trade name. Use of the trade name does not change who or what we are," he said.

I think that the lawyer is playing a little fast and loose with the term "trade name"..

I just love the comparisons:
International Business Machine = IBM
General Electric = GE
Civil Air Patrol = U.S. Civil Air Patrol

Note, that what CAP has chosen to do is make our name MORE ocmplicated, which is just the opposite of what the cited corporations do....

MIKE

I've repeatedly warned members not to purchase the Corporate Uniform... at least until things settle down.  For those that have jumped the gun, and paid the price for being an early adpoter... Well, sorry about your luck.
Mike Johnston

Ricochet13

Quote from: MIKE on June 13, 2007, 10:12:18 PM
I've repeatedly warned members not to purchase the Corporate Uniform... at least until things settle down.  For those that have jumped the gun, and paid the price for being an early adpoter... Well, sorry about your luck.

I know, I know . . . . should have listened!  Well "fool me once, shame on you . . . fool me twice, shame on me"!  Will be sure to take my time thinking about whether or not to support the next "major initiative" that comes down from above. 

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on June 13, 2007, 10:12:18 PM
I've repeatedly warned members not to purchase the Corporate Uniform... at least until things settle down.  For those that have jumped the gun, and paid the price for being an early adpoter... Well, sorry about your luck.

I'm with MIKE!

CASH172

It says signature blocks will remain Civil Air Patrol.  Does that mean I need to keep using it this way:

NAME, RANK, CAP

or can I use it like this:

NAME, RANK, USCAP

I'm confused with this cause this would totally go against TP's signatures blocks if the first one is the only one to go with. 

JC004

Quote from: CASH172 on June 13, 2007, 10:39:32 PM
It says signature blocks will remain Civil Air Patrol.  Does that mean I need to keep using it this way:

NAME, RANK, CAP

or can I use it like this:

NAME, RANK, USCAP

I'm confused with this cause this would totally go against TP's signatures blocks if the first one is the only one to go with. 

Do both, like I am.  See signature below.   >:D

Hawk200

Today, a friend told me that a former commander of his always asked three questions:

1. Is it cost effective?

2. Is it practical?

3. Does it make any sense?

If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, you couldn't do it. I'm starting to think NHQ is doing the same thing.

DrDave

The new CAP Branding initiative is a major topic at the upcoming PAO Academy to be held the two days before the National Board Conference in Atlanta in August.

See the following link:

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/public_affairs/2007_cap_pao_academy/presenters/national_marketing_plan.cfm

I guess we'll learn more then.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Pumbaa

Tripe.. pure unadulterated tripe.

They should fire that lawyer who compared the name to IBM.. C.A.P. is the equivalent.. Not that long honk'n name.

Well I am glad I decided to heck with all uniforms with the exception of the grays for special occasions..  I am so fed up with these niggly little changes and such. Then again I am fat and fuzzy.

Personally, HQ needs to get their heads out of their posterior parts.

You want name recognition.. uhhh.. How about U.S. Air Force Auxillary!?!?!?  ooops was that Aux On or Off?

Unreal.... And yes, I am sure some people have noticed I have been hot under the collar, since those of us fuzzy folks have been religated to 2nd class status, by some of the uniform nazi's..

mikeylikey

The whole thing is stupid!  THE NAME IS "CIVIL AIR PATROL".  That is what needs to be on our letters, banners, websites....etc!  THEN is the AF going to authorize the change on the BDU's to "US Civil Air Patrol"?
What's up monkeys?

Pumbaa

uhhhh... me thinks the name tapes are already being done with U.S. on them coming from Van.. cough cough...

Psicorp

Quote from: 2d Lt Fat and FUZZY on June 13, 2007, 11:22:02 PM
Tripe.. pure unadulterated tripe.

They should fire that lawyer who compared the name to IBM.. C.A.P. is the equivalent.. Not that long honk'n name.

Funny, that was my first thought too.

You want name recognition.. uhhh.. How about U.S. Air Force Auxillary!?!?!?  ooops was that Aux On or Off?

Well if we're going for longer names, we could be the "U.S. Air Force Auxillary, Sometimes"   :D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

O-Rex

Quote from: 2d Lt Fat and FUZZY on June 13, 2007, 11:22:02 PM

The black vans are warming up their engines. .. .  >:D