Main Menu

blank forum email

Started by Dutchboy, February 01, 2009, 03:43:48 AM

Dutchboy

I just received a blank email that should have been a forum reply notification.

Sorry my original post I guess was in the wrong forum. Do I get a 2b? >:D

Dutchboy

I just recieved 2 more blank emails. for real. no joke

MIKE

Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: messofficer on February 01, 2009, 03:43:48 AM
I just received a blank email that should have been a forum reply notification.

Sorry my original post I guess was in the wrong forum. Do I get a 2b? >:D

Since you're asking, yes.

Dutchboy

Quote from: MIKE on February 01, 2009, 10:15:23 PM
Turn off notifications.
Ok sir, the point it, they should not be blank and I Should not have to turn off notifications! Make it simple for you there is something wrong with the forum!!! Thanks why I am talking about this in the SUPPORT forum. Where's the SUPPORT?

MIKE

Forum has moved to a new server and has also updated to the latest version.  It probably got broken in the move and/or "upgrade".  If you turn it off, it may reset itself.
Mike Johnston

Dutchboy

Mike,

I did what you said and I still get the blanks emails. I don't even know which forum they are for.  :(

Dutchboy

I actually did it three times.

Pylon

Quote from: messofficer on February 02, 2009, 01:42:34 AM
I don't even know which forum they are for.  :(

The ones that appear with the "NEW" icon next to them in this list should give you an indication of what topics you're subscribed to have new posts.

As for the blank emails -- thanks for the bug report.  I'll pass it on to Jerry and we'll see what can be done.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dutchboy

More than two weeks later I am still having the problem of blank emails (p.s. this includes the subject line). I have done what I was asked to do.

Pylon

Then I apologize that a part of the forum software is broken.  You can turn off notifications in your preference pane and you'll stop receiving the notices alltogether.  While it was a convenient feature when it worked, it may not be working properly now and we may not have the resources to fix it. 

Dutchboy

SO, If indeed it is broken, why not remove it for everyone. Why should I have to "turn it off"? Or are you saying nothing is going to be done about it?

MIKE

Dude, we don't make the software.
Mike Johnston

Dutchboy

shorning

Dude...it's really not that big of a deal.  Turn off the notifications.  You won't miss an important post...I promise...

Dutchboy

Quote from: shorning on February 18, 2009, 03:16:20 AM
Dude...it's really not that big of a deal.  Turn off the notifications.  You won't miss an important post...I promise...

First off I don't appreciate being called  "DUDE" . Unless your a close friend of mine (which your not) you have no business saying that to me.

Secondly, if it not a big deal and you promise I won't miss an important post, I am sure you won't mind if they turn it off untill it is fixed. Remember "you won't miss an important post... I promise..."

Pylon

Let me be clear:  I don't know what's wrong.  I don't know how to fix it.  This forum has no resources to pay someone to fix it.  This forum makes $0, and costs Jerry money every month to operate.

If it's not working for you:
Option 1:  Turn it off.
   Option 1b:  Turn it off and use one of the many, free, third-party page watching services like any of these options.
Option 2:  Continue to receive blank emails.

If it's working for you:
Continue to use.

In the first place, I went through the forum administration panels and cannot find any option to turn on or off the notifications feature.  So this argument is pretty much a moot point; but even if the option were available to me, if you were the only user experiencing problems I wouldn't remove the feature for the rest of the 2,000 users.  So far, you're the only one who has reported issues with the system. 

I'm not a programmer and there's no option on the admin panel to adjust that part of the system, therefore you've got options 1 or 2 above.

shorning

Quote from: messofficer on February 18, 2009, 03:27:22 AM
First off I don't appreciate being called  "DUDE" . Unless your a close friend of mine (which your not) you have no business saying that to me.

Let me be blunt.  You're whining.  Stop it.  If they can fix it, they will.  You've been given your options.  Press on...

PaulR

Quote from: messofficer on February 18, 2009, 03:27:22 AM

WOW!!  Someone needs a vacation!  ::)  Seriously, take a deep breath and relax.  You will live longer for it!  ;D  Everything will be alright.   ;)

BTW, I get those too.  It lets me know that someone sent me a message.  Some notification is better than non.  See... the glass is aways half full.

CAPSGT

I don't know the why...but I've noticed something with these blank e-mails.  They do have data attached to them, but it appears that how you are viewing the messages makes an impact.

I get blank e-mails all the time as well when I am reading my e-mails via a web browser on my computer.  However, if I open the exact same e-mail on my cell phone, I can read it with no problem.  Again, not sure why it is doing this, but it is.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron