Cost of uniforms at a base?

Started by cmoore, April 04, 2005, 07:43:40 PM

cmoore

I was wondering what the cost of uniforms is if purchased
at a base.  Is it the same as CapMART?   Travis AFB is about
an hour's drive from me.  I was wondering if it's worth the
drive out there to get uniforms or if I should just order online.
I assume if I go out to the base I can try things on, which
is an advantage over ordering online.
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

MIKE

CRAPMart does mark the price up somewhat on the S/S Service Uniform combination IIRC.  The short sleeved shirt I got from CRAPMart doesn't even have a USAF certification.  ???

CRAPMarts BDUs are cheaper only because they sell a cheap commercial copy.

I'd say that if you are looking for Service Uniforms specifically and a base is close enough you should use AAFES MCSS instead of CRAPMart.  You may pay more for some items and less for others, but in the end you are better off because you have the right uniform... And you don't have to pay shipping.

You will still need to get insignia from CRAPMart or the Hock however.  www.1800nametape.com has excellent tapes for the BDU and BFU... Also has the Service Dress nametag cheaper than you could get elsewhere.
Mike Johnston

md132

Here is a price breakdown from AAFES MCSS:

AF Blue S/S Shirt (Mens): $11.10
AF Blue L/S Shirt (Men's): $12.90
Blue Service Trousers: $36.00
AF BLue Officer's Coat: $145.00
AF Blue Tie: $3.45
AF Blue Serice Belt: $2.55
AF Blue Flight Officer's cap: $11.45
Service Cap: $34.95

BDU's
EHW BDU Top: $26.20
EHW BDU Pants: $27.15
BDU Belt: $2.50
EHW BDU Cover: $4.30

AF Silver Nametag for Service Coat: $7.95 (Takes 7 - 10 Business days to procure.

Bates Oxford Shoes (Men's) : $57.95
Boots range in price from $94.95 - over $200.00

I was only able to get prices for men's.  But these are current as of today at AAFES MCSS.

1st LT Ed Salas, CAP
MD Wing
AAFES Associate "Serving the Best Customers in the World"

MIKE

Quote from: md132 on April 04, 2005, 09:59:31 PM
1st LT Ed Salas, CAP
MD Wing
AAFES Associate "Serving the Best Customers in the World"

Emphasis added.

But can he hook us up with uniforms?  ;)

It would be awesome if CAP members were granted AAFES MCSS privileges for ordering online.  I know we can order by phone, but without a current catalog and price list this can be nearly impossible.
Mike Johnston

CaptRossCA

I recommend a trip to AAFES at Travis AFB. 
The Staff there are particularly helpful and will help with fitting etc.

The added bonus is that the prices can be lower by a $ or two compared with other facilities including NEX and MCSS and CapMart and HockShop

Chris Ross
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Travis Composite Squadron 22

Major_Chuck

I believe there is a way to order from AAFES online but you need to submit some paperwork to them to do it.  I recommend that  you call their customer service number and ask them.  I was going to do it a few years ago but ended up just driving two hours to Langley rather than jump through the hoops.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Greg

I'm fortunate enough to live less than a half hour from Fort Dix and McGuire AFB, and I usually go to AAFES for non-CAP distinctive uniform items (such as a blues shirt, BDU trousers, etc.) and I've always been pleased with them over there.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 05, 2005, 11:19:44 AM
I believe there is a way to order from AAFES online but you need to submit some paperwork to them to do it.  I recommend that  you call their customer service number and ask them.  I was going to do it a few years ago but ended up just driving two hours to Langley rather than jump through the hoops.

It would be HUGELY beneficial if i was able to do that.
Do you have any idea what paperwork is required?
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 05, 2005, 11:19:44 AM
I believe there is a way to order from AAFES online but you need to submit some paperwork to them to do it.  I recommend that  you call their customer service number and ask them. 

Just for kicks i tried to login to the online site and found the following.

You are not an authorized customer.
Access to the Exchange Online Store is restricted to:
Active Duty Military
Military Retirees
Reserves
National Guard personnel
Department of State Officials serving in foreign countries
and dependants of the above
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have full Exchange Service shopping privileges, you are authorized to order from this website. (Exceptions are ROTC, Foreign Officers, Civil Air Patrol and Coast Guard Auxiliary personnel.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any questions about your eligibility, call toll free in the U.S., 1-800-527-2345 or see the Catalog Information section of the paper catalog.

so there IS some policy that will aloow us to buy online.
I filled out a followup form and someone is suppodes to get back to me within 48 hours to solve the problem...

Will share with everyone what comes of it.

Pylon

Nope.  That exception list includes people who have exchange privileges but cannot use the online site.

Basically, you can fax AAFES your CAP membership card and DOB and you can order from the paper catalog by calling, mailing, or faxing in your order.  Online access to AAFES has never been something CAP has been able to get because that access system links up directly to DEERS, which CAP members are not in (unless they have other reasons, such as AD, Dependant, Retiree, etc).  Since it's not an AAFES database, but rather one which comes straight from DEERS, there's no way to just "add in" CAP members for online store access without putting them into DEERS (which the DoD probably wouldn't go for).

That's the long answer for: you're not going to get access to the online store, unless you've got other military connections.  Maybe someday they'll change this!   ::) :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

md132

With ordering online, Unless you are AD, Res, Ret, AAFES Associate or DoD personnel and family you cannot order online.  When you log in to the system, it checks with all valid SSN and DOB in the DEERS and DoD systems.  If it is not found you cannot gain access.  You may still order online by faxing in a copy of your membership and DOB and SSN.  Give it about 24 hours and call the Customer Service number to verify that it has been recieved and approved.  Once verified you can order by phone.  Also if you live near a military base that is not USAF then you can have them ship the item(s) you need from another MCSS to that MCSS.  An example is that I had my Mess Dress uniform shipped from Dover AFB to Aberdeen Proving Gounds because APG is primarily Army even though there is one USAF squadron and one Marine Det. 

Even though I an AAFES associate and I can order from AAFES online, I cannot ordering any uniform items from the website myself.

Ed Salas, 1st Lt, CAP
AAFES Associate APG, MD "Serving the Best Customers in the World"

abysmal

abysmal

THis is what they sent to me....
======================
Dear Christopher Parrett,

Since Civil Air Patrol is restricted to Military Uniform Clothing purchases, they are not eligible to purchase through the website.  We apologize that the website is not able to allow CAP access because it is not yet capable of restricting other non-uniform items.

To be on file, we will need a faxed copy of your commission papers or ID stating the social security number, date of birth, and future ETS date sent to us in order to be added to our Verification system (CCD).  The fax will be kept on file until the commission date.

Orders may be placed via mail, fax, or telephone order. 

Fax: 1-800-446-0163, 1-214-583-5042.
Mail: Exchange Catalog Sales, PO BOX 660211, Dallas TX 75266-0211. 
E-mail: catalog@milexch.com.

Call our telephone representatives: 1-800-527-2345, 1-214-583-5000, or for overseas    toll-free numbers-please give country stationed.

Or if you have the Military Uniform catalog and know the item numbers needed, you may send all ordering information through e-mail for us to place the order.

Thank You! Have a Super Day!!
Rosie Williams
Exchange Online Store - Customer Service

cmoore

Quote from: abysmal on April 08, 2005, 02:56:03 PM

Or if you have the Military Uniform catalog and know the item numbers needed, you may send all ordering information through e-mail for us to place the order.

Interesting.  Where does one get a copy of the catalog?
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

md132

A copy can be obtained at any Military Clothing and Sales store or by by having your squadron commander request an AAFES Military Clothing Mail Order catalog at
Headquarter AAFES (PD-U)
P.O. Box 660202
Dallas, TX 75266-0202
indicating the unit mailing address and number of catalogs needed.

Use AAFES form 4150-134.  It might be available in the mail order catalog.

Mail order address is
AAFES Military Clothing Sales Store
Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433

abysmal

abysmal

Quote from: md132 on April 08, 2005, 11:24:47 PM
A copy can be obtained at any Military Clothing and Sales store or by by having your squadron commander request an AAFES Military Clothing Mail Order catalog

Got another note from the people at AAFES.
They let me know that they have mailed me a Uniform Catalog.
Did not have to get my Commander to fire off a note afterall.
All in all the folks at AAFES have been as nice as they possibly can in trying to help me out.

md132

That's good that AAFES is sending a catalog.  Hopefully there is a price list included because the uniform catalog does not include prices.  If it doesn't and you need a price list let me know and I can send you a complete list to you.

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP
AAFES Associate " Serving the best customers in the world"

abysmal

Quote from: md132 on April 15, 2005, 01:16:53 AM
That's good that AAFES is sending a catalog.  Hopefully there is a price list included because the uniform catalog does not include prices.  If it doesn't and you need a price list let me know and I can send you a complete list to you.

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP
AAFES Associate " Serving the best customers in the world"

Thanks.
Will let you know when it arrives.
Having never seen one, I am interested to see just what it is that they send me.

md132

Quote from: Pylon on April 07, 2005, 07:22:21 AM
Nope. That exception list includes people who have exchange privileges but cannot use the online site.

Civil Air Patrol has what is called Special Privileges with AAFES.  Especially at AAFES PX/BX.  Which means only uniform items(Brown or white t-shirts, Black dress socks, black boot socks)  unless they are on the base TDY(Temp Duty with orders).  All AAFES personnel has been briefed on what the current membership card looks like and has seen it.  So only those uniform items mentioned can be purchased at an AAFES PX/BX.  Make sure you also bring the appropiate CAP Regulations on it in case management says something about it.