Civil Air Patrol As Well As Federal Government to Close Down!

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 25, 2011, 06:00:38 PM

AirDX

Quote from: nesagsar on April 07, 2011, 09:34:38 PM
All contracts are being suspended so contractors cant come in to work even if they are essential.
Not totally correct either.  I went and did some reading on this - since I worked in a contract tower for a while, I wondered how this would affact them?  The answer is it won't, since contract work can be certified as essential as well, or if funding is coming from sources other than this year's budget alone:

Q: Does all contract work stop?

A: Contract work can continue if it is funded by previous years' appropriations, by multiple-year appropriations, or through revolving funds. Agencies can also allow work to continue for:

• Activities they have statutory authority over, such as the Defense Department's authority to contract for needed food, fuel and medical supplies.

• Specific duties imposed on an agency, such as paying Social Security benefits, which are not funded through annual appropriations.

• Emergencies involving the safety of human life or the protection of property.

That's from the Federal Times.

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

nesagsar

My contractor has been paid for the next year but we were all told that they wont even let us into the building despite the fact that we are all FEROs. FAA must have very different rules than FEMA and HHS.

Eclipse

Obviously to anyone affected directly, whether financially, ruined vacation, or an important court process that might be stalled, etc., this is a big deal...

...but...

...to the vast majority of Americans, the status of Twitter, or a Facebook outage, will be more important than a government shutdown.  Few people will see any direct impact beyond mild inconvenience.

Sadder still is the fact that it means nothing.  Not a dollar will be saved, the budgets won't be cut anywhere, and we will still have a huge deficit.

It is all political posturing.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Apparently the last 2 government shutdowns cost $1-2 billion dollars. 

It may not impact "most" Americans, but it will have a direct negative impact on millions. 

Eclipse

Meh, a billion here, a billion there...talk to me when it is real money...

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2011, 12:49:43 AM

Big time.  Isn't it amazing that the government closes down at 12:01 AM EDT on April 9 - Saturday morning!  So there's two free days to posture, then swoop in and "save" the day on Sunday afternoon.

While Obama practices feigning indifference at Colonial Wiliamsburg... 

nesagsar

Quote from: AirDX on April 08, 2011, 03:25:27 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2011, 12:49:43 AM

Big time.  Isn't it amazing that the government closes down at 12:01 AM EDT on April 9 - Saturday morning!  So there's two free days to posture, then swoop in and "save" the day on Sunday afternoon.

While Obama practices feigning indifference at Colonial Wiliamsburg...

As a FERO at an EOC I was scheduled to work during the weekend. I will be losing 20 hours of work (and 20 hours of pay) even if the government figures this out on Monday.

AirDX

Well, the official word just slid down the poop chute:

CAP Leaders and Members,

Many of you have seen the news reports and newspaper headlines covering the increasing possibility of a Federal government shutdown when the continuing resolution expires today, Friday, 8 April at midnight.   

Even though CAP is not a government agency, a shutdown is still going to have an effect on CAP.  Part of this is funding related and the other part is because CAP-USAF will have limited manpower during the shutdown and they won't be able to provide as much oversight, liaison and support as they are required to by Air Force regulations.  Regarding funding, CAP has all the money we will get until a new resolution or law is signed by the President.  CAP's guidance from the Air Force is to prioritize our activities to ensure life saving, national security, disaster response and other important Air Force assigned missions can be accomplished.  The Air Force has also asked CAP to "efficiently execute available appropriated funds" so this will require CAP to restrict corporate missions too because federal funds are used to offset some maintenance expenses.  Conserving maintenance funds will help CAP meet the mission requirements specified by the Air Force.   

Therefore, if Congress does not reach agreement on either a Fiscal Year 2011 budget or a continuing resolution by midnight local time on Friday, 8 April and the federal government shuts down, the only missions that CAP is authorized to perform are:

1.      All operational missions authorized in WMIRS by 1st, 11th or 13th Air Force.  All of these missions use mission number sequences like this example:  11-1-XXXX.

2.      All operational SAR missions authorized in WMIRS by AFRCC or the AK RCC.  All of these missions use mission number sequences of 11-M-XXX or RCC-11-XXXX.

3.      Corporate missions with the sole purpose of providing emergency response services to state and local agencies.  (As a reminder, federal agencies cannot be supported in corporate status.)

CAP leaders should contact the NOC (888-211-1812, ext. 300) if they have a critical mission not mentioned above they feel requires AF and/or CAP consideration for approval.   These missions will be reviewed by NHQ and CAP-USAF on a case-by-case basis.  Training missions, cadet orientation flights, proficiency flying, and A9 flights to maintenance facilities are all examples of missions CAP will unfortunately not be able to perform until Congress resolves the budget crisis or extends the deadline.  This flying restriction encompasses all categories of flight, including most corporate missions. 

Please note, if aircraft have already departed from a home station to a training location before the news of a government shutdown has been received, the training (or other activity) should be terminated and the crews should return to their home station.  The return trip home will be part of the original training mission.     

We will provide additional details as more information becomes available.  Do not hesitate to contact us or the NOC if there are any questions. We are hopeful the duration of a government shutdown, if it happens, will be brief.  Thank you for your understanding and patience as we deal with the major challenges that a federal government shutdown entails.

Sincerely,

Maj Gen Amy Courter CAP/CC,  Mr. Don Rowland NHQ/EX & Col William Ward, CAP-USAF/CC

RADIOMAN015

Yes see above, pretty sad state of affairs for everyone concerned, especially active duty personnel.

BTW I understand that reserve training will also be cancelled if not resolved tonight.

RM

HGjunkie

Does ANY of this impact the Cadet side of things such as regular meetings?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 09, 2011, 01:17:40 AM
This shouldn't have any effect on regular meetings. There is no funding for meetings.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 09, 2011, 01:42:29 AM
This shouldn't have any effect on regular meetings. There is no funding for meetings.
I'd be a bit cautious on the statement above.  IF you are meeting in a federal or military facility you may be locked out because realistically there's no funding to pay for the heat & lights you would be using, and it's also possible that security may actually be reduced.    No cadet flying either, probably for a heck of a long time!!!
RM 

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 09, 2011, 02:01:45 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 09, 2011, 01:42:29 AM
I'd be a bit cautious on the statement above.  IF you are meeting in a federal or military facility you may be locked out because realistically there's no funding to pay for the heat & lights you would be using, and it's also possible that security may actually be reduced.    No cadet flying either, probably for a heck of a long time!!!
RM

That is understood by me, many units meet at guard armories or other such places. Arrangements will need to be made to figure out where to meet in that instance, but I am sure that most will be able to take care of the issue. Flying we all know is put on hold, thank you for posting the memorandum above, I had been looking all day in eservices to see if anything was being posted.

Do what you can to continue about your regular business, we all need to stay vigilant.

manfredvonrichthofen

Deal reached to keep government open for another week. President Obama to speak in the next ten minutes.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 09, 2011, 03:00:10 AM
Deal reached to keep government open for another week. President Obama to speak in the next ten minutes.

Also known as Tune in next week, same time, same place, same dilemma!

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 09, 2011, 03:06:37 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 09, 2011, 03:00:10 AM

Also known as Tune in next week, same time, same place, same dilemma!

At least we get to continue to operate in CAP for another week without further disruptions.

a2capt

Well, they've already in effect cancelled "everything" ... "indefinitely" that had to do with spending, so.. They killed tomorrow's orientation flights, in theory the weather is gonna suck anyway ... so.

At least this time is' both fiscal and actual WX suckage.

EMT-83

What was killed? Gen Courter's letter listed steps that would be taken if there was a shutdown. It didn't happen.

a2capt

Some Wings, including mine, send out notices that definitely did not read "if", but rather - NOW, and pulled the plug on a few weekend activities already.

..and just as I type this, "O-RIDES MAY RESUME" has just been received. Too late for those who called everyone yesterday and cancelled it.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on April 07, 2011, 08:57:12 PM
Word has been received that all CG Aux activities will be suspended if a shutdown happens.

Could it be that the "Utopian" relationship often cited here between the USCG AUX and the US Coast Coast Guard does have an unseen draw back?  As I recall, a USCG Auxie is considered "in the Coast Guard," as a simplistic expression" when on a mission.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454