Where are my promotion requests going?

Started by cap801, December 07, 2010, 09:22:58 PM

a2capt

Is this a question of, "I just earned XXX, so promote me"? or "I've earned XXX, and I've been helping cadets learn ..." or such?

The former isn't mission furthering related, the latter is.

This, being over all...

cap801

Is that why CAP has AGI and IGI under the promotable mission-related skills?  It's completely crazy to me that that being a CFI will only get you as far as 1t Lt, but an IGI would go to Captain.  I had originally acquired my AGI in order to have the qualifications to restart a ground school class that used to be taught through Notre Dame's Aerospace Science department.  When I took the exam for my instrument rating, I figured I might as well take the IGI test since it was out of the same bank of questions.  Really, the only privilege you get out of it, from the FAA's perspective, is the ability to conduct the ground training portion of an instrument proficiency exam.

JeffDG

Quote from: jayburns22 on December 08, 2010, 08:53:54 PM
Is that why CAP has AGI and IGI under the promotable mission-related skills?  It's completely crazy to me that that being a CFI will only get you as far as 1t Lt, but an IGI would go to Captain.  I had originally acquired my AGI in order to have the qualifications to restart a ground school class that used to be taught through Notre Dame's Aerospace Science department.  When I took the exam for my instrument rating, I figured I might as well take the IGI test since it was out of the same bank of questions.  Really, the only privilege you get out of it, from the FAA's perspective, is the ability to conduct the ground training portion of an instrument proficiency exam.

CFI gets you Captain, and IGIs can teach the ground for the IR written too.

Eclipse

CFI's can be STAN-EVALs for CAP, rarely do instructors teach new pilots ground school for free (though one was done at my unit about 4 years ago), so being a ground instructor has dubious value to CAP beyond the subjective nature of making you a better pilot by design.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2010, 09:09:25 PM
CFI's can be STAN-EVALs for CAP, rarely do instructors teach new pilots ground school for free (though one was done at my unit about 4 years ago), so being a ground instructor has dubious value to CAP beyond the subjective nature of making you a better pilot by design.

I always thought of ground instructors being useful as AE officers.

I would treat it as a HSO, unless you are filling the role as an AEO, I would not request/approve/consider the advanced grade if all you can bring to the table is a ground instructor rating.
Paramedic
hang-around.

a2capt

My question/statement was more in broad scope rather than just a specific case, in that they list mission related promotions for these specific aviation instructor or pilot ratings .. does that mean one can get the promotion when that 8710 is signed, or after it's been demonstrated that those skills are being applied towards the mission at hand.

In which case with some of them, a person can't demonstrate it within regulations until they have the associated CAP rating, so then that means that promotion comes when a standard ES card rating is added/awarded. At which time I would put on the 2A that "the member earned xxx FAA rating, and furthered by completing SQTR tasks for "xxxx"..

(and I mean mission as in one of our three missions, not a redcap)

tsrup

Quote from: a2capt on December 08, 2010, 09:24:13 PM
My question/statement was more in broad scope rather than just a specific case, in that they list mission related promotions for these specific aviation instructor or pilot ratings .. does that mean one can get the promotion when that 8710 is signed, or after it's been demonstrated that those skills are being applied towards the mission at hand.

In which case with some of them, a person can't demonstrate it within regulations until they have the associated CAP rating, so then that means that promotion comes when a standard ES card rating is added/awarded. At which time I would put on the 2A that "the member earned xxx FAA rating, and furthered by completing SQTR tasks for "xxxx"..

(and I mean mission as in one of our three missions, not a redcap)

Going along with what you are asking,
I would submit the promotion, along with the appointment to AEO.  Not before, not without.
Paramedic
hang-around.

cap801

Well I definitely neglected to mention the obvious intent of the ground instructor certificate, training towards the written exams.  Must be finals week.  :(

For some reason I thought there was no delineation between pilot certificates and promotion was only specific for CFI's, but as I review the reg, I see I'm incorrect.  Must be finals week.   :(

When I learned to fly (in the cadet flight program), I had to attend a CAP ground school, which was obviously taught for free, though by a CFI.  I went on to be an MP, so I hope it provided some value to CAP in the long run.

Eclipse

Was that at a flight academy or at your home squadron?

"That Others May Zoom"

cap801

Ground school was held for the whole wing in Albuquerque...squadrons aren't very large in New Mexico.  It was just over a weekend.

Learning to fly was over a ~4 month period in my home squadron, with the person who is currently our squadron commander as the instructor.

Eclipse

Nice - akin to Johnson Flight Academy in my wing, though sadly pretty unusual these days.

"That Others May Zoom"

teesquared

Where is your squadron Personnel Officer? He/she should be bird-dogging this for you.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147